+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Prism 2 Setpoint......

RBW Member shortkidd is an unknown quantity at this point shortkidd's Avatar
    Hollis Prism2

Poseidon Se7en

Prism 2 Setpoint......

When completing my training on the Prism 2 for a dive down to 120ft we jumped in with the setpoint at .7 and at 70ft we switched to 1.3 for the entire dive until after deco then back to .7 all the way back to the boat.

For the shallow dive down to 70ft. We also used the setpoint of 1.3. We jumped in with the setpoint at .7 again and at 50ft we then changed the setpoint to 1.3 for the entire dive until starting our ascent and at 50ft we changed it back to .7 for the rest of the dive.

Is there some rules on what it should be for what max depth and when to make the change from .7 to the final setpoint for the maxdepth and through the deco stop if needed? Im confused on this and want to make sure this makes sense in my head.

RBW Member Pat O'Brien is an unknown quantity at this point Pat O'Brien's Avatar
    Hollis Prism2

Re: Prism 2 Setpoint......

Hi,
    Don’t forget what happens to your PO2 on decent it will increase so you don’t want the SP at 1.3 during your decent, waiting until you reached depth before switching SP prevents spiking of your PO2 above your 1.3 SP

On my ascents I leave the SP at high until I leave my 30’ stop anything above that it drains your O2 to quickly as the unit is trying to maintain your SP, some divers bailout to OC above the 30’ stop.

Which agency are you training under, if you read the training manual it will explain this more, and you can also just ask your instructor.

Have fun, hope this helps.

RBW Member whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot?'s Avatar
    MK15.5, MK25

Quote Originally Posted by shortkidd  View Original Post
    When completing my training on the Prism 2 for a dive down to 120ft we jumped in with the setpoint at .7 and at 70ft we switched to 1.3 for the entire dive until after deco then back to .7 all the way back to the boat.

For the shallow dive down to 70ft. We also used the setpoint of 1.3. We jumped in with the setpoint at .7 again and at 50ft we then changed the setpoint to 1.3 for the entire dive until starting our ascent and at 50ft we changed it back to .7 for the rest of the dive.

Is there some rules on what it should be for what max depth and when to make the change from .7 to the final setpoint for the maxdepth and through the deco stop if needed? Im confused on this and want to make sure this makes sense in my head.
    Pete set the electronics at .7 until you reach 20 feet or so if I remember right- as a fail-safe against what you are asking, I think. As a side note, most military dives are done at .7 unless there is a good reason to go higher.

You can manually run your unit but if you use the electronics from the surface, that is what you'll get. Personally I don't like high PO2s or pushing the upper end (or lower for that matter), do a search on RBW for an article written years ago about the best setpoint to use, I can't remember who the author was, maybe Chett knows?

RBW Member Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1's Avatar
    ybod

ffs

Chett Lehrer Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L's Avatar
    rEvo FT / Hollis P-2/ rEvo lll

Prism Topaz-1 / rEvo ll

Quote Originally Posted by Pat O'Brien  View Original Post
    Hi,
    Don’t forget what happens to your PO2 on decent it will increase so you don’t want the SP at 1.3 during your decent, waiting until you reached depth before switching SP prevents spiking of your PO2 above your 1.3 SP

On my ascents I leave the SP at high until I leave my 30’ stop anything above that it drains your O2 to quickly as the unit is trying to maintain your SP, some divers bailout to OC above the 30’ stop.

Which agency are you training under, if you read the training manual it will explain this more, and you can also just ask your instructor.

Have fun, hope this helps.
    The post by Pat, above sums it up pretty good. I would also study and understand, learn more about the plus and minus of the high set point depending on the kind of diving, depth and duration your dive plan calls for. It's also good to consider what set point your buddy is diving before the dive so that you and your dive buddy can try and stay in sync with each other from start to finish.

Best regards,
    Last edited by Chett.L; 5th March 2016 at 07:36.
    Chett. L

+ Reply to Thread