+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mild cough after dive

Mild cough after dive

Hi all,
    Yesterday I completed a 90 minute dive on my JJ. It was a multilevel dive and my setpoint was 1.3 for about half the dive (peaking at 1.5 during a change in depth) and 0.7 for the other half (I was with an OC buddy who had a long deco so I had long switched back to 0.7 by the time he was done)
    About 1 hour after surfacing, when relaxing back home, I developed a mild chest irritation, cough and shortness of breath. This was at around 6 pm. By nightime it was down to a very slight uncomfortable "feeling" and was totally gone this morning.
    I am aware that this kind of symptom can be brought about by high and prolonged PPO2 exposure, but this was just the second dive in 2 days after a few days not diving, the previous day's diving being just 60 minutes, again roughly 50/50 at 0.7 and 1.3.
    This is also the first time I have experienced this cough, but my dive times are typically shorter than 1 hour.
    A possible factor could be that this was quite a tiring dive, with a long and fast shallow swim out to a reef and back again. I certainly was not overbreathing the unit, but I did work a little harder than I normally do.
    I very systematically disinfect my unit after each and every dive, using a dilution of Chemgene. The scrubber on this dive had just been changed
    Any input/advice would be gratefully received.
    Thanks
    John
    Last edited by woodymalta; 10th August 2015 at 05:45.

RBW Member michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch's Avatar
    SF2, IDA76, Flex

AH1

Re: Mild cough after dive

possible reaction to the Chemgene that you are using to kill the bugs? If it kills bugs it probably isn't good for people either, especially after longer exposures.

Michael
    Who just washes his Hoses/DSV out with Palmolive and warm water and rinses and blowdrys his counterlung bellows.

Re: Mild cough after dive

Quote Originally Posted by michael-fisch  View Original Post
    possible reaction to the Chemgene that you are using to kill the bugs? If it kills bugs it probably isn't good for people either, especially after longer exposures.

Michael
    Who just washes his Hoses/DSV out with Palmolive and warm water and rinses and blowdrys his counterlung bellows.
    I had not thought of that possibility to be honest. I do thoroughly rinse down the lot with fresh water after using the chemgene however.

+ Reply to Thread