+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Newbie CCR Hesitations

Newbie CCR Hesitations

Hey guys, John here. So as an engineer, rebreathers have fascinated me for years. Long before I got into diving I was interested in their capabilities. Now that I am a diver and looking to get into Tech diving and the lot, I've been suggested to choose wether I want to go the OC or CCR route into tec. Well the engineer in me would love to try a rebreather! The experience itself seems to be quite unlike OC by a long shot, and I love landscape photography, so a CCR would allow me such freedoms with marine life. However, I have read countless reports from DAN, as well as thread after thread on RW, and am still concerned over the choice of CCR. Things like caustic cocktails, C02 toxicity and all the possibilities of failure are thought-provoking. So ultimately, I know that units like the rEvo and the Meg do a great job at mitigating these risks provided you follow instructions, but what makes it worth it you guys? Are these things that should be on my mind when and if I start training, other than to just ensure my diligence?

Thanks,
    John

RBW Member manni-yunk is an unknown quantity at this point manni-yunk's Avatar

Re: Newbie CCR Hesitations

Quote Originally Posted by johnvan29  View Original Post
    Hey guys, John here. So as an engineer, rebreathers have fascinated me for years. Long before I got into diving I was interested in their capabilities. Now that I am a diver and looking to get into Tech diving and the lot, I've been suggested to choose wether I want to go the OC or CCR route into tec. Well the engineer in me would love to try a rebreather! The experience itself seems to be quite unlike OC by a long shot, and I love landscape photography, so a CCR would allow me such freedoms with marine life. However, I have read countless reports from DAN, as well as thread after thread on RW, and am still concerned over the choice of CCR. Things like caustic cocktails, C02 toxicity and all the possibilities of failure are thought-provoking. So ultimately, I know that units like the rEvo and the Meg do a great job at mitigating these risks provided you follow instructions, but what makes it worth it you guys? Are these things that should be on my mind when and if I start training, other than to just ensure my diligence?

Thanks,
    John
    To answer your last questions....as a new CCR diver - YES. They should be on your mind.

BUT - as an engineer - the more you look at them and understand their potential failure modes, you will realize that a diligent diver following checklists religiously, who gets great training and does not allow himself to get complacent - can mitigate much of the risk.

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Rule 1: know your PPO2
    Rule 2: if in doubt, bail out.

Doesn't matter what rig you're diving, if you follow those two rules you're going to be ok.

Similar story here: engineer and keen diver, always fascinated by these marvellous death machines. Never took a try dive because I knew as soon as I did, I'd be buying one. When the time was right, I bought a cheapie (Inspo Classic) and my first dive was the first training dive in the pool on my unit.

I was hooked. I have never dived OC since that day. The diving itself is glorious: quiet, comparatively unrestricted dive times, warm and beautiful. The finagling around with kit before, during and after the dive appeals to the nerd in me. And there's always something to do when the weather's too schitty to dive.

RBW Member EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD's Avatar
    rEvo III rMS

rEvo is all you need!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Starfish  View Original Post

Doesn't matter what rig you're diving, if you follow those two rules you're going to be ok.

Similar story here: engineer and keen diver, always fascinated by these marvellous death machines. Never took a try dive because I knew as soon as I did, I'd be buying one. When the time was right, I bought a cheapie (Inspo Classic) and my first dive was the first training dive in the pool on my unit.

I was hooked. I have never dived OC since that day. The diving itself is glorious: quiet, comparatively unrestricted dive times, warm and beautiful. The finagling around with kit before, during and after the dive appeals to the nerd in me. And there's always something to do when the weather's too schitty to dive.
    Nicely said, sort of sums it all up !

Sent by my rEvo scrubber using a shearwater Nerd

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Starfish  View Original Post

So captain, if you were getting into CCR right now, what route would you take for gear? Would you still do the inspo classic or would you go another route? Like rEVO or the Pathfinder? While I would like to put my trust in a less expensive unit while I get my bearings straight, seeing the fluid/cocktail prevention ISC has in their loop tempts me to get ready to fork over for that.

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Depends.

If I had money burning a hole in a pocket and looking to start with my first breather right now I'd probably go a JJ, Vision or rEvo. rEvo because they're freakin awesome, JJ and Vision because there are instructors in my town. I think having other divers nearby with the same unit is important - you have the gestalt for fault finding and improvements and a bit of a swap mart for spares too.

Not a fan of the ISC kit. And flood recovery whoopdoopery didn't help my mate from getting a cocktail on a MOD1 training dive when his exhale hose popped off at the T. The flood recovery on the AP gear can be good if you do it right. Generally speaking though, WTF are you doing getting a flooded loop in the first place?

If I was starting again and being as big a tightwad as I was with the Classic, there still isn't much out there that can touch them. BUT they're a gamble. Mine cost me just under $3000 including a Shearwater HUD. I knew going in that the handsets were a time bomb and so wasn't surprised when it exploded but just rolled with it and upgraded to an AV-1 for $1500. And got an OCB - another $500 or so 2ndhand. So the unit now owes me about $5k, which is almost what a Vision or an older, non RMS rEvo would have cost me to buy in the first place.

Still, others I know still have the original mank-o-matic Classic handsets and they haven't blown up yet, so they're still diving dirt cheap gear. That's the gamble.

I'm getting close to being ready for a new toy now. My favourite now is a rEvo but I'm keeping a close eye on the guys at Dive Systems and their Proteus units too - some very clever stuff going on there. My preference, if the stars align work and free time wise, is a homebuild unit. Because enginerding fun times.
    Last edited by Captain Starfish; 19th February 2016 at 08:27.

RBW Member ckrueger is an unknown quantity at this point ckrueger's Avatar
    rEvo Micro 3 w/RMS & NERD

Prism 2 w/NERD

Don't hesitate to get into rebreather diving. Just finished my Mod 1 training on the Prism 2 from Add Helium. I can't speak highly enough of the quality of the training. I would strongly suggest you talk to them and let them answer your questions. These conversations may help you steer to one unit or the other. Take their Mod 1 course. They sell all the different units in one spot, so you will have the flexability of looking at all of them and getting your questions answered by some great people.

RBW Member Capt Morgan is an unknown quantity at this point Capt Morgan's Avatar
    KISS Classic

As a long time OC diver (first set of twins bought in 1994) I hadn't much interest
    in moving over to CCR but rising helium costs increased my interest.
    I had a couple of try dives on friends units, a Vision and a rEvo, I didn't like the
    vision at all because of the front mounted lungs. I guess my time diving OC had
    me used to the clear chest. On the rEvo I felt more comfortable and had a lot more
    freedom of movement but still couldn't see myself diving a CCR, if I'd known then what
    I know now I'd say the units were badly fitted to me, so I continued to dive OC.
    A friend came to dive with me and he had a Kiss Classic this caught my eye, rear lungs,
    use a normal backplate and harness and a big one for me, being an electrical engineer,
    no electronic control. In my eyes the laws of physics integrate with water beter than electrics,
    I could be wrong but that's my view.
    I never got to dive his Kiss but seen one for sale and thought I'd buy it and if I didn't
    like it I would just sell it again. I got it set up with my original back plate and harness
    and give it a go, loved it from the get go and am still diving it.
    Is it a better unit for me than the ones I test dived ?
    I don't know perhaps if the others had been properly fitted to me I may have a different unit today.

RBW Member sddiver is an unknown quantity at this point sddiver's Avatar
    Kiss Spirit, Sport

Inspiration

Open circuit systems just don't compare to the abilities you get with CCR. If you're going tech don't waist your time with open circuit.

Shane Thompson
    advancedunderwater.com

RBW Member deepdave is an unknown quantity at this point deepdave's Avatar
    Inspo Vision

Just finishing my Mod1 now and, to be honest, I wish I had made the jump years ago.

The choice of your first unit is largely influenced by the training available in your area. I personally went for a used vision and paid for the centre I'm training with to give it a dam good service before bringing it along to the pool to start the training. I figured that was a cost effective way to get into this while still maintaining piece of mind that the unit was spot on.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast