+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Home brew nitrox?

Steve Sprague 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster's Avatar
    rEvo

Dolphin

Home brew nitrox?

Hi all,

Am I crazy?

I am considering purchase of a used RIX oil-less compressor to top off bottles for partial pressure blending of nitrox for an SCR. I have not taken a blending class yet... but will if I go through with this.

Does this make sense from a safety point of view?

It is far more cost effective to get nitrox fills at a convienent scuba shop, if I had any shops that were close by. Understandably, most shops want me to drop the cylinder off and pick it up a day or two later. Since the closest shops that fill over 40% nitrox are about an hours drive away, that adds up to a lot of time on the road. I would rather be doing other things (like servicing a compressor ;) ) with my time.

Steve

RBW Member jeff h will become famous soon enough jeff h will become famous soon enough jeff h will become famous soon enough jeff h will become famous soon enough jeff h's Avatar

Re: Home brew nitrox?

I would say from my own experience that it's a completely sane idea. Home brewing nitrox and trimix is fairly common place now and is a lot more convenient (independent of cost) than relying on a shop or making multiple trips back and forth per week.

A blending course and a copy of Vance Harlow's Oxygen Hacker's Companion will go a long way to making it safe.

-Jeff

RBW Member Nemo1957 is an unknown quantity at this point Nemo1957's Avatar
    Optima

2 dive partners and I made the investment a few years ago and wouldnt have it any other way. We went the booster route and a conventional compressor but if a Rix works for you go for it. You might ease the pain some if you can find a couple (not too many mind you) like minded divers who could share the cost amd time.

O2ptima Test Dummy
    JPJones has a spectacular aura about JPJones has a spectacular aura about JPJones has a spectacular aura about JPJones has a spectacular aura about JPJones has a spectacular aura about JPJones has a spectacular aura about JPJones's Avatar

Good idea,get some training just to help you not make the same mistakes that we learned about when when make your own was the only way to get it.

Flaccid Member abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie's Avatar
    Dammit I bought another KISS

CK, SK, Satori, ManBagOD

Do it.

No one takes as much care blending your breathing gas as you do.

Reads fine print (mostly) Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather's Avatar
    MEGALODON MK15.5

BMR500 IDA71 IDA64 RGUFM AKA60

I also agree you are the one who has the most incentive to do an accurate job of blending when you’re going to be the one breathing it. Blend away, but DEFINETLY read the Oxyhacker first. Could easily save you garage- and yer ass. (I flatly deny I was the real life Cale, even though the author DOES say I remind him sometimes..... :D :D :D )

As to the RIX compressor: don’t believe the hype re filling straight off the compressor. The compressed air they produce is for the most part clean, but most of the folks I’ve talked with caution that is also very wet, in SCUBA terms. To do the job right you will still need some form of desiccant stack post compression. Also, in today’s vehicle filled world, unless you are getting your input air way out in the country- and away from any combustion vents on your own house (heat, gas AC, dryer, water heater, etc.)- you had best include some CO catalyst in the stack, Hopcalite or similar.

Best,
    Ken

Steve Sprague 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster's Avatar
    rEvo

Dolphin

Hi All,

Thanks for the comments, they are very helpful.

Steve

+ Reply to Thread