+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: tanks & rebreather-related regulations in Australia

RBW Member mick4707 is an unknown quantity at this point mick4707's Avatar
    JJ-CCR

Re: tanks & rebreather-related regulations in Australia

Three things required for a fill down here, burst disc, fill pressure stamped on the tank and a hydro test stamp on the tank. Forget 300 bar fills unless you do it yourself. It really depends on the city for helium fills, not many shops pump helium. There are not many rebreather friendly shops in the country!

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

You'll occasionally get lucky and find an LDS who will fill 300 bar. Or so legend has it anyway. Two hassles with the "fvck the LDS, get a compressor" approach:
    - after five years I'd be wanting a hydro which I can't get before I stood next to my compressor filling. So new tank time? Same goes for mates: I want to be somewhat reassured it's not going to take the roof off my shed.
    - fills on trips. Unless you take your compressor...

Most of the Aus tanks are faber steels or catalina alis, just with an ASxxxx stamp on them. So yeah, probably identical to yours. 7l are pricey but available, and regularly come up secondhand as people realise they're never going to get a 300 fill.

Travelling overseas will be fine too, except maybe getting O2 fills in the EU. So just hire one if that happens!

RBW Member Nicool is on a distinguished road Nicool is on a distinguished road Nicool's Avatar
    rEvo III micro FT RMS

Poseidon Discovery Mark VI

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Starfish  View Original Post
    You'll occasionally get lucky and find an LDS who will fill 300 bar. Or so legend has it anyway. Two hassles with the "fvck the LDS, get a compressor" approach:
    - after five years I'd be wanting a hydro which I can't get before I stood next to my compressor filling. So new tank time? Same goes for mates: I want to be somewhat reassured it's not going to take the roof off my shed.
    - fills on trips. Unless you take your compressor...

Most of the Aus tanks are faber steels or catalina alis, just with an ASxxxx stamp on them. So yeah, probably identical to yours. 7l are pricey but available, and regularly come up secondhand as people realise they're never going to get a 300 fill.

Travelling overseas will be fine too, except maybe getting O2 fills in the EU. So just hire one if that happens!
    Thanks so similar to here: 300bars fills don't happen often.

What about the regulations which allow you to get fills in a dive shop? I believe 1 hydro test/year and then you get a stamp on the tank.
    What are the typical costs for such tests on oxy-clean steel/alu tank+valves?
    And would there be any extra complexity for carbon tanks?

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Quote Originally Posted by Nicool  View Original Post
    Thanks so similar to here: 300bars fills don't happen often.

What about the regulations which allow you to get fills in a dive shop? I believe 1 hydro test/year and then you get a stamp on the tank.
    What are the typical costs for such tests on oxy-clean steel/alu tank+valves?
    And would there be any extra complexity for carbon tanks?

Yep. I'm not sure whether it's a regulation or just all the dive shops decided that's the way it's going to be after a few Luxfer aluminiums made of the wrong alloy failed due to sustained load fractures around the necks. But you won't get a fill unless you've had a hydro in the last 12 months.

Price varies. Here in Perth we've had them done in bulk with the club for $20 (but that was a few years ago) and I've been stung for $50 per tank too.

O2 cleaning varies too, I tend to do my own. But the couple of times I've been caught out it's cost about $50 for tank clean and valve service & clean.

No idea about carbon tanks, sorry, most of my diving is local so I haven't bothered with the lightweight composite cylinders. I have a vague recollection though that there's something special about them for hydros.

RBW Member Nicool is on a distinguished road Nicool is on a distinguished road Nicool's Avatar
    rEvo III micro FT RMS

Poseidon Discovery Mark VI

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Starfish  View Original Post
    Yep. I'm not sure whether it's a regulation or just all the dive shops decided that's the way it's going to be after a few Luxfer aluminiums made of the wrong alloy failed due to sustained load fractures around the necks. But you won't get a fill unless you've had a hydro in the last 12 months.

Price varies. Here in Perth we've had them done in bulk with the club for $20 (but that was a few years ago) and I've been stung for $50 per tank too.

O2 cleaning varies too, I tend to do my own. But the couple of times I've been caught out it's cost about $50 for tank clean and valve service & clean.

No idea about carbon tanks, sorry, most of my diving is local so I haven't bothered with the lightweight composite cylinders. I have a vague recollection though that there's something special about them for hydros.
    Ok thanks! Anyways unless i migrate to the north (with 3mm suit i sink like a stone, even with alu tanks), carbon tanks won't be necessary either.

Thanks for all the answers, i owe you a beer, be it drunk through dil hoses or via a more conventional way.
    That bein said, i've witnessed here a team of drunk divers punishing themselves via the snorkel

AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Thanks for all the answers, i owe you a beer, be it drunk through dil hoses or via a more conventional way.
    That bein said, i've witnessed here a team of drunk divers punishing themselves via the snorkel
    You're gonna fit right in around here :)

RBW Member Sebby is an unknown quantity at this point Sebby's Avatar
    Revo

Ray, Poseidon Mk6

I confirm. They even had a song (sort of) for it.
    The same divers would go at -60m the day after with a 12L of air...
    It seems there is a local oddity here: quite low fatalities despite many high risk behaviours/practices on a daily basis.

Back to the topic: very interesting discussions. I had no idea this could be so complicated. Nicool, make sure you will have extra local tanks to cater for your beloved CCR mates
    I will pay the hiring fee in tinned foie gras or other things you will crave for.

cheers
    Seb

AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Quote Originally Posted by Sebby  View Original Post
    I confirm. They even had a song (sort of) for it.
    The same divers would go at -60m the day after with a 12L of air...
    Bloody CMAS divers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2