+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: rebreather diving in Farnes islands (UK)?

RBW Member Nicool is on a distinguished road Nicool is on a distinguished road Nicool's Avatar
    rEvo III micro FT RMS

Poseidon Discovery Mark VI

Re: rebreather diving in Farnes islands (UK)?

That would be good! Thanks Barry

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

RBW Member Nicool is on a distinguished road Nicool is on a distinguished road Nicool's Avatar
    rEvo III micro FT RMS

Hi folks, i am back on RBworld after few days with limited/no internet access.

Some more thinking/questioning on the logisitics, as half of our group will be non-divers and i want these guys to be happy too:

A/ would the charters typically go out in morning and afternoons? Single dives or double dives? How long would we be gone at sea for? (If i can sync the dive schedules with babies nap, which should be afternoon, that will minimize disruption to the group)

B/ some of my mates are actually Open water Padi divers (very little experience), but may want to try a seal dive), do you think i could find some dive instructor to join us and guide them for one dive or two?

C/ if indeed they try diving, is there a place where they could rent semi dry suits, and rest of dive equipment? (learning dry suit diving would probably be too much for my newbies friends)?

D/ alternatively, would it be worth for them to just snorkel on the surface? In other seals places i've done (australia, south africa) there was quite a lot of interaction at the surface, hence my question.

Cheers
    Nicolas

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

rEvo UK Deep Baloo is on a distinguished road Deep Baloo is on a distinguished road Deep Baloo's Avatar
    rEvo X Standard/ Micro

Inspo Vision/ Classic

Do you have your heart set on staying in Seahouses? At St Abbs here we can get two dives done in a morning or afternoon (your choice).
    I can also arrange kit hire and guiding for your friends.
    It's very picturesque here with lots of views and walks to see and then you could always do a day trip or two down to the farnes
    These guys do harbourside accomodation and the boat charters, so makes it nice and easy to put your diving easily amongst the rest of your holiday
    http://www.divestabbs.info

rEvo III micro FT RMS

Quote Originally Posted by Deep Baloo  View Original Post
    Do you have your heart set on staying in Seahouses? At St Abbs here we can get two dives done in a morning or afternoon (your choice).
    I can also arrange kit hire and guiding for your friends.
    It's very picturesque here with lots of views and walks to see and then you could always do a day trip or two down to the farnes
    These guys do harbourside accomodation and the boat charters, so makes it nice and easy to put your diving easily amongst the rest of your holiday
    http://www.divestabbs.info
    Hi Barry,

Yes for this particular trip my heart is kindof set in Seahouses, due to the fact that the number of dives will be quite limited, maybe 4-5 dives in the whole week, as i will also spend time with non-divers and kids. Also, since i may not be able to dedicate easily full days to diving, ability to go to the seals on a half-day basis would be a big plus.
    With that limited number of dives i really want to focus on spending as much of it as possible next to the seal colony (i just love diving with seals )
    For sure if i plan a subsequent 100% diving trip in the area i will definitely mix with St Abbs, which i see carries good dive opportunities.

Nevertheless, i'll be in touch with you regarding tanks/bailouts and other kinds of kit hire

If others have input on my questions A/B/C/D these would be welcome, but i'll anyways drop them to the operations recommended in Seahouses (Sovereign diving and Farne Diving Services).

cheers
    Nicolas
    Last edited by Nicool; 20th February 2016 at 19:23.

rEvo III micro FT RMS

Hi all,

I am back seeking UK (rebreather) divers advice regarding my future visit to the Seals.

As i understand, seal dives are pretty shallow, like max 20 meters deep, no deco.
    So i am considering diving without a separate bailout tank, meaning in case of rebreather malfunction, i would bailout on the second stage which is connected to my 3L diluant tank. In my experience, and provided the tank has at least 100 bars remaining (which will be the case as i'll re-fill daily), it's more than enough for a safe ascent from 20 meters to surface.

Questions to you:
    1/ are there any UK diving regulations forcing me to carry a separate bailout tank? I mean, can the charter boat operator refuse to have me with my intended setup?
    2/ are the dive conditions difficult on the seals spot, meaning rough currents or heavy boat traffic & risk of getting lost? These are the conditions where i would still carry separate bailout tank even if no deco/shallow.

thanks
    Nicolas

RBW Member KenGordon is an unknown quantity at this point KenGordon's Avatar
    None

Nobody will care. The boat is a taxi, there are no regulations.

The conditions are good. The only boats are dive boats. It can be very shallow with kelp reaching the surface or within a meter.

However, the boat will almost certainly have a lift so having a bailout is not a problem, assuming you can source a cylinder.

All IMVHO obviously... Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field's Avatar
    NVMCCR Inspiration

Classic KISS, Sport KISS

Hello Nicool,

Background- our club go to the Farnes for an annual trip, I have dived there about 15times over nearly 20years.

I do take my rebreather, because I have one but if I was coming for a casual visit (as you suggest) and flying I would dive OC as it makes No difference to the experience- the seals will literally crawl all over you, pull on your equipment- fins, computers, even seen one kissing the front of a regulator!

Seal 2.jpg

(I could feel his claws on my scalp through the hood)

The best seal encounters- if that's what you want, will be had between 2-8mtrs, most ambient lights and in the shallows you can find them "sunbathing" asleep on the bottom amongst the kelp and give them a belly rub like a cat of dog

Arguably if all you wanted to do was get close you could snorkel, the locations where the skippers will drop you in are generally sheltered and very pleasant. ( I would nominated Lee Hall at Farnes Diving Services as well for this)

There is deeper diving, the walls on the outer islands can be enjoyed from 20-40mtrs but they hold nothing the shallow sites don't. The wrecks close in are smashed to pieces (these are the infamous Farne Islands after all!) the further out wrecks are nice but often require a special charter as most people just want to see the seals

With regards CCR parts/rental I can't help as UK residents we have our own but I would recommend a stage of some kind- if only to weight you down as an hour gently floating at 6mtrs playing with seals gets Very cold (the Farnes is never warm) and any extra air in your suit will be a blessing

rEvo III micro FT RMS

Thanks Ken and Ben for your replies!

Happy to see we could dive rebreathers like we want.

Ben, thanks for your advice on the relevance of rebreathers to go there.
    I would normally look down at people diving OC and telling me my rebreather won't be of use, but since you have dived both that's relevant advice to me.
    I usually prefer to dive my unit even in all kinds of dives (5 meters deep muck dive), but let's be realistic this time i am not going for a proper diving-dedicated vacations, but to some family vacation with multiple small kids, so diving will be minimal, and saving on unit preparation time could help (i still need time for photography gear preparation ).

cheers
    Nicolas

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2