+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: rebreather diving in Farnes islands (UK)?

RBW Member Nicool is on a distinguished road Nicool is on a distinguished road Nicool's Avatar
    rEvo III micro FT RMS

Poseidon Discovery Mark VI

rebreather diving in Farnes islands (UK)?

hi there!

I would like to go to the Farnes Islands (Northumberland, UK) and spend some family vacations there... plus some rebreather dives with seals
    I would probably be staying at Seahouses, which seems to be the closest town to the islands.

These would be my first rebreather dives there, and even in the UK, so i would need some advice, and to start with, i have few questions:

1/ any rebreather friendly operator diving in the Farnes? I haven't found any, but asking in case.
    2/ where to rent 3L tanks, bailout tanks, and to buy sorb (797 preferred)? Note that i am planning to land in Edinburgh, but could also consider landing in Newcastle, if it helps passing by a place where i could get these. Even better if there's a place closer to the islands where i could get these...
    3/ what kind of regulations apply to rebreather diving in UK? Is it enough to bring my IANTD MOD1 C-card?
    4/ any advice on how to interact with seals when diving a rebreather? (my previous dives with seals were in Australia & South Africa, diving OC)

thanks in advance for any advice
    Nicolas

RBW Member Vanny is an unknown quantity at this point Vanny's Avatar
    Inspo vision

Re: rebreather diving in Farnes islands (UK)?

Nicolas,

We've dived the Farnes a few times. Last year was my first there on CC.

1, any dive boat will take you out, we don't have boats that will only take OC etc

2, tricky. Try contacting sovereign diving services. They may be able to help or point you in the correct direction.

3, bring your qualification card but I'd be amazed if anyone asks for it. Our charter boats are simply a taxi service to the site , what kit you bring, if you hold a certification is generally not their concern. At most you may need to produce it to purchase O2.

4, the seals at the Farnes are always about and "interactive" however last year on CC they were all most too much ! They'll be close and interested. They'll bite and pull at your fins , which is fine just watch out if their nosing around torches , gauges etc.

Hopefully someone will answer who is more local and have better info on cylinders for you. The skippers are good and I think all the boats have diver lift. If you can avoid diving at weekend when it's busy with divers, weekdays we've found better.

If you search Facebook for Loughton sub-aqua club the first video there is from last years trip. Not the best but gives you an idea.

Enjoy
    Last edited by Vanny; 6th February 2016 at 22:33.

RBW Member Nicool is on a distinguished road Nicool is on a distinguished road Nicool's Avatar
    rEvo III micro FT RMS

Quote Originally Posted by Vanny  View Original Post
    Nicolas,

We've dived the Farnes a few times. Last year was my first there on CC.

1, any dive boat will take you out, we don't have boats that will only take OC etc

2, tricky. Try contacting sovereign diving services. They may be able to help or point you in the correct direction.

3, bring your qualification card but I'd be amazed if anyone asks for it. Our charter boats are simply a taxi service to the site , what kit you bring, if you hold a certification is generally not their concern. At most you may need to produce it to purchase O2.

4, the seals at the Farnes are always about and "interactive" however last year on CC they were all most too much ! They'll be close and interested. They'll bite and pull at your fins , which is fine just watch out if their nosing around torches , gauges etc.

Hopefully someone will answer who is more local and have better info on cylinders for you. The skippers are good and I think all the boats have diver lift. If you can avoid diving at weekend when it's busy with divers, weekdays we've found better.

If you search Facebook for Loughton sub-aqua club the first video there is from last years trip. Not the best but gives you an idea.

Enjoy
    Thanks Vanny!
    Yes i hope somebody can advise for tanks. It doesn't have to be local as long as it's on my route to Seahouses.

Regarding your advice for dives during week days i am interested: do the dive charters go to the seals during week days in October? (I got the advice that october was best)
    And in your experience, how often/week would they go to the seals?
    I understand there are a few wrecks as well, but if i travel to the farnes it will be really for the seals.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Inspo vision

They will go out in October. That's when we've been, and yes it's a good time for the seals. They'll go out if there's demand, best to contact them in advance.

Re the cylinders it maybe worth asking on a uk forum such as "the dive forum". You should get more replies as it's a popular dive spot.

rEvo UK Deep Baloo is on a distinguished road Deep Baloo is on a distinguished road Deep Baloo's Avatar
    rEvo X Standard/ Micro

Inspo Vision/ Classic

Hi Nicool, I am based in St Abbs which is on your way from Edinburgh to the Farnes.
    I have a full stock of 3l Rebreather cylinders, Bailout cylinders, Gas and lime.
    We also have brilliant diving here..... so if you can spare a couple of days of your holiday its certainly worth a couple of days diving here.
    PM me your requirements and dates and we can get you sorted.
    Cheers Barry

RBW Member IainC is an unknown quantity at this point IainC's Avatar
    Inspiration Vision

Hi Nicool, I am based in St Abbs which is on your way from Edinburgh to the Farnes.
    I have a full stock of 3l Rebreather cylinders, Bailout cylinders, Gas and lime.
    We also have brilliant diving here..... so if you can spare a couple of days of your holiday its certainly worth a couple of days diving here.
    PM me your requirements and dates and we can get you sorted.
    Cheers Barry

Barry's right - St Abbs/Eyemouth is a great place to dive too.

Also there is so much more to the Farnes than seals (although you can get up close with them there like almost nowhere else)

rEvo III micro FT RMS

Thanks all for precious advice, and to Barry for the offering, i'll be in touch!

I do realize that there's lots of good diving to explore in the area, though i will be with a group mostly made of non-divers, hence my dive time will be quite limited, and priority will be to focus on seals i think.

@Vanny, not sure to understand your suggestion: how can i ask the charters in advance for seals days? I mean i'll probably book my stay months in advance, are they in a position to plan their schedule that early?

Also, any specific charter to recommend there?

Last but not least, would you know the approximate water temperature and typical visibility in October?

cheers
    Nicolas
    Last edited by Nicool; 8th February 2016 at 20:39. Reason: forgot to as something

Inspo vision

Nicolas,

Re contacting them in advance. I was thinking you could probably give them a couple of weeks notice. That way if you choose days to dive that are quiet for the skippers but they get other enquiries there's more chance of them going out. Re them planning for seal dives , that's mainly what they do.

Charter boats, we use Farnes diving services , lee hall. Very knowledgable good skipper. I also hear that sovereign are good but have no personal knowledge. I've a feeling there related anyway and they all seem to get on so if one can't help you I'm sure they'll suggest another skipper.

Visability last October was prob 7-10 mtrs and water temp , my computer tells me was , 12 degrees. For the seals you'll be 20 metres or shallower.

rEvo III micro FT RMS

Quote Originally Posted by Vanny  View Original Post
    Nicolas,

Re contacting them in advance. I was thinking you could probably give them a couple of weeks notice. That way if you choose days to dive that are quiet for the skippers but they get other enquiries there's more chance of them going out. Re them planning for seal dives , that's mainly what they do.

Charter boats, we use Farnes diving services , lee hall. Very knowledgable good skipper. I also hear that sovereign are good but have no personal knowledge. I've a feeling there related anyway and they all seem to get on so if one can't help you I'm sure they'll suggest another skipper.

Visability last October was prob 7-10 mtrs and water temp , my computer tells me was , 12 degrees. For the seals you'll be 20 metres or shallower.
    Thanks Vanny

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

rEvo UK Deep Baloo is on a distinguished road Deep Baloo is on a distinguished road Deep Baloo's Avatar
    rEvo X Standard/ Micro

Inspo Vision/ Classic

I have rental rEvos, cylinders with brackets, scrubbers, spares etc etc. as well Nicool. So if you want to cut down on your luggage that is possible as well.
    You never know if i'm not busy I may even come seal watching with you :)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast