+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Finessing the bungee

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

Finessing the bungee

Hello all, I am wondering how other people have rigged their bungees around the necks of their BO tanks. Mine are never very secure and often wind up twisting around and sometimes slip out. Anybody have a suggestion on the best way to rig the bungee to keep the tank from twisting around and popping out?

Also, anybody enter the water with their side mount BO? Or does everybody put it on in the water? I usually put mine on in the water, but this can be problematic if people are waiting on you, and is obviously an impossibility if one wanted to do a live entry and needed to descend rapidly to avoid being blown off a target in a strong current. Thanks in advance for your thoughts, -Andy

dive! dive! dive! mmarcoux is an unknown quantity at this point mmarcoux's Avatar
    rEvo 3 Micro FT RMS, JJ CCR

rEvo 3 Standard HCCR

Re: Finessing the bungee

For sidemounting BO tanks, I'm using a 'ring' system, which is decent for boat diving because you have a hard connection to attach to on the boat.. Basically a 2" metal ring, which ais clipped to your harness shoulder 'd' ring, and pulled back, by a bungee. (dive rite and others make these}

Supporting Member fdarden is on a distinguished road fdarden is on a distinguished road fdarden's Avatar
    Revo Micro

Andy I would say your thoughts are correct. I primarily dive off boats and I also use the ring system. I have done giant strides, backwards rolls, jersey twists, and the curly shuffle with them on. Many do not like this type of set up, but I prefer it. I've used it to carry 40's and 80's and works equally well. Dive Rite made mine.

Sent from my iP

RBW Member SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK's Avatar

Using a golem butt plate and bungees. I have normal clips on the neck of my bottles. The D rings on my harness are a lot lower than normal, somewhere near the bottom of my ribcage. Connect everything whilst sitting on the bench, once in the water heading down the shot line hook the bungees over the tank valves and they take all the load off the neck clips pulling the tanks into line. Putting tanks on in the water is fine in lakes or tropical waters but non starter 40 mile off shore in marginal conditions.

If you find the tanks are slipping out of the bungee play with the orientation of the lower clip in relation to the the tank valve an adjust the length of the bungees.

S

RBW Member rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack's Avatar
    Meg

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK  View Original Post
    Using a golem butt plate and bungees. I have normal clips on the neck of my bottles. The D rings on my harness are a lot lower than normal, somewhere near the bottom of my ribcage. Connect everything whilst sitting on the bench, once in the water heading down the shot line hook the bungees over the tank valves and they take all the load off the neck clips pulling the tanks into line. Putting tanks on in the water is fine in lakes or tropical waters but non starter 40 mile off shore in marginal conditions.

If you find the tanks are slipping out of the bungee play with the orientation of the lower clip in relation to the the tank valve an adjust the length of the bungees.

S
    I do exactly the same:
    1) neck clip and buttplate clipped on the boat
    2) jump/roll/splash
    3) bungie over the tank valve once I'm in the water, either on the surface or as I go down the line.

On the rare occurrence that the bungie pops off, the tank hangs no lower than a conventional slung stage bottle and I just put the bungie back on the valve when its convenient.

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

Hi guys, thanks for your responses. My problem is that my CLs are the weight bearing harness of my system, which is great because it is so simple to get in and out of. However, it also means that I do not have D rings to attach a clip to. Anybody have any other ideas about something I could attach to the neck of my BO that would enable me to more securely attach the BO to the bungee? -Andy

Prism

Dolphin

is there some kind of short snap or hook like thing I could attach to the BO neck that the bungee could be securely hooked to?

RBW Member rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack's Avatar
    Meg

Quote Originally Posted by silent running  View Original Post
    Hi guys, thanks for your responses. My problem is that my CLs are the weight bearing harness of my system, which is great because it is so simple to get in and out of. However, it also means that I do not have D rings to attach a clip to. Anybody have any other ideas about something I could attach to the neck of my BO that would enable me to more securely attach the BO to the bungee? -Andy
    Do you have a picture?

On your profile you list a prism and a dolphin, at least every one of these I've seen has a harness where you could have a chest Dring.

The basic gist of most neck bungies CCR people use is shown here
    http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com...sidemount.html

I'd guess the majority of people add a keeper cord or snap to hold the bungie forward and in your armpit when there is no tank. And a safety clip so if the tank falls out it doesn't hand upside down by the rear attachment.

RBW Member deepdave is an unknown quantity at this point deepdave's Avatar
    Inspo Vision

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Kudg1f4zFfs

Check this out. Really very good

Prism

Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by rjack  View Original Post
    Do you have a picture?
    No, gear is dismantled until I finish moving.

On your profile you list a prism and a dolphin, at least every one of these I've seen has a harness where you could have a chest Dring
    I haven't dived the Dolphin in 15 years, can't remember where and if there were any Drings sturdy enough for BO rigging. The Prism 1 does not have any Drings big enough for BO rigging and none above the bottom of the CLs. This is a drag, but it's the price you pay for having bone simple OTS CL setup that also functions as a weight baring harness. This a major reason I switched to carrying my BO side mount on a Golem system, the bungee of which is located behind the back on the plate.

The basic gist of most neck bungies CCR people use is shown here
    http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com...sidemount.html

I'd guess the majority of people add a keeper cord or snap to hold the bungie forward and in your armpit when there is no tank. And a safety clip so if the tank falls out it doesn't hand upside down by the rear attachment.
    The over the armpit anchoring of the other end of the bungee is a great idea, but unfortunately I don't have a Dring to clip it to. I guess my problem is unique, unless another P1 diver has found a way to rig the armpit solution. Thanks, -Andy

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast