+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Kirby Morgan M48 Mod-1 with Hollis Pod and BOV Assembly Question

RBW Member Bryan T is an unknown quantity at this point Bryan T's Avatar

Re: Kirby Morgan M48 Mod-1 with Hollis Pod and BOV Assembly Question

Quote Originally Posted by btrax  View Original Post
    Ok,
    so here is the dilemma. The mask works flawlessly with the Hollis BOV pod except....

I can not see my heads up display now. When you clip it on to the BOV, no matter how it is positioned the mask actually blocks sight of the HUD.

Any input as to how to solve this one. I think Hollis blew it on this one minor (major?) item.

And zip tying it to my head is not an option lol.
    Clearly zip ties are out... but maybe glue!? just kidding. doesnt the hollus come with different hight's of HUD mounts? The APs do and are forgotten overlooked and some times discarded. I'm just guessing.

RBW Member whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot?'s Avatar
    MK15.5, MK25

Not sure how you are mounting your HDD but the M48 should have two "horns with holes" above each lens. MK16 divers use this to mount the primary.

RBW Member Blair Mott is an unknown quantity at this point Blair Mott's Avatar

Bobmaggi,
    Thank you for the feedback. Instead of pinching your nose have you tried to block your nose from pushing up on the bottom of the nose pocket or pushing the nose pocket in toward your face. The nose pocket is so flexible that is can be moved in toward the face, bent to the side and lifted up if needed. I have also had students reverse the paddles by flipping them upside down and re installing.
    I have attached a picture of the nose pinch assembly dissembled for clarity. The paddles installed are in the normal position. I have indeed also seen moleskin or neoprene added to paddles.
    RBW_1.jpg
    As far as the gas escaping into your hood I have experienced this as well and believe over time with donning, in water adjustments and varied techniques it will sort itself out. I hear this from almost ever MOD-1 diver, including myself, it gets better the more I dive it. Keep diving and keep us posted.

Bob Sweeney bobmaggi has a spectacular aura about bobmaggi has a spectacular aura about bobmaggi has a spectacular aura about bobmaggi has a spectacular aura about bobmaggi has a spectacular aura about bobmaggi has a spectacular aura about bobmaggi's Avatar
    KISS Spirit LTE

KISS Classic

I was looking at making some new 'paddles' but adding neoprene to the existing paddles sounds like a good idea. A backup idea of having something to push up into the nostrils may also work. These may be better tests before I make any type of permanent modifications to the existing nose block.
    I've got a deeper dive scheduled for Sunday, will put something together tonight/tomorrow and see how well it works. Thanks for the new ideas.

The other question was about the visibility out of the mask. Compared to my old mask it is quite a bit more limited. My old mask lenses sit very close to my eyes so had great visibility. The new mask has larger lenses but they sit much further away so there is a much smaller field of view. When getting ready for a dive I found that for me putting on the mask last was best unless you want to finish up getting ready by feel only...

Bob Sweeney bobmaggi has a spectacular aura about bobmaggi has a spectacular aura about bobmaggi has a spectacular aura about bobmaggi has a spectacular aura about bobmaggi has a spectacular aura about bobmaggi has a spectacular aura about bobmaggi's Avatar
    KISS Spirit LTE

KISS Classic

I cut up an old wetsuit vest for neoprene of different thicknesses. I found that 2mm neoprene passed the couch test so took that for a dive yesterday. Although it was an big improvement, I believe that the curve in the plastic nose pitchers doesn't allow my nose to fully close. The neoprene padding helped a lot but I believe the root cause requires a different style. I have to decide whether to continue experimenting or just go back to my old mask where I don't have this issue. Too many dives spent fighting this so far, I just want to have an enjoyable dive!

KISS Spirit LTE

KISS Classic

I ended up sending the mask back. As much as I wanted it to work for me the main issue with being able to quickly and reliably clearing my ears was the deal breaker. I could live with or get used to the limited field of view but equalizing was number 1. I still like the safety aspects of the mask in regards to rebreathers, the pod concept, and as a bonus the NERD display stayed in one place all the time! I did a dive this last weekend with my old mask and enjoyed the lack of issues and ease of use throughout the dive.
    Maybe they will work out some options in the future that will allow me to try again.

KISS Spirit LTE

KISS Classic

I ended up sending the mask back. As much as I wanted it to work for me the main issue with being able to quickly and reliably clearing my ears was the deal breaker. I could live with or get used to the limited field of view but equalizing was number 1. I still like the safety aspects of the mask in regards to rebreathers, the pod concept, and as a bonus the NERD display stayed in one place all the time! I did a dive this last weekend with my old mask and enjoyed the lack of issues and ease of use throughout the dive.
    Maybe they will work out some options in the future that will allow me to try again.

RBW Member whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot?'s Avatar
    MK15.5, MK25

Quote Originally Posted by bobmaggi  View Original Post
    Doubt it, it was designed primarily for military use and they are quite happy with the design as is.

You could always look into the "consumer" market of FFMs... sounds like that would be a better "fit" for you. OTS etc.

RBW Member Tom1966 is an unknown quantity at this point Tom1966's Avatar
    Prism2

Quote Originally Posted by kylenance  View Original Post
    Just got the instructions from Hollis. Thanks for the posts guys

Could you pass along the directions??? I cant find anything on how to install.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3