+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Kirby Morgan M48 Mod-1 with Hollis Pod and BOV Assembly Question

RBW Member H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2 Instructor

Hollis Explorer Inst Trainer

Re: Kirby Morgan M48 Mod-1 with Hollis Pod and BOV Assembly Question

They are producing a different mount for it, already a known issue.
    I have seen a quick trip to the hardware store to extend the arm of the mount has worked for an immediate fix-Eric

Bob Sweeney bobmaggi has a spectacular aura about bobmaggi has a spectacular aura about bobmaggi has a spectacular aura about bobmaggi has a spectacular aura about bobmaggi has a spectacular aura about bobmaggi has a spectacular aura about bobmaggi's Avatar
    KISS Spirit LTE

KISS Classic

I just got my mask last night and came up with some questions of my own.
    First, the part that goes over the BOV and has the 2 prints attached to it, it appears to have 2 positions that it can be in, what is the correct position? Additionally, the 2 o-rings that are attached to this piece, what are they doing? I haven't tried out positioning my NERD on the BOV, hopefully I can find a position where it will be visible without having to engineer some new configuration.
    The mask fits nicely, can't wait to give it a go this weekend. I got this mask because I have found that I am susceptible to Puluminary Immersion Endema (got a light touch of it last weekend) and that cold water is thought to be a factor. So I'm trying to reduce my cold water exposure, hopefully this will help out.

Muddiver Muddiver is an unknown quantity at this point Muddiver's Avatar
    Poseidon Cis Lunar 7

If your asking if the pod should be pushed in or out, it's meant to be used in the pushed in position and the mouth price in your mouth to reduce dead space and prevent build up of CO2. Are you asking about the O-rings on the hose connections?

RBW Member whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot?'s Avatar
    MK15.5, MK25

Quote Originally Posted by bobmaggi  View Original Post
    The mask fits nicely, can't wait to give it a go this weekend. I got this mask because I have found that I am susceptible to Puluminary Immersion Endema (got a light touch of it last weekend) and that cold water is thought to be a factor. So I'm trying to reduce my cold water exposure, hopefully this will help out.
    Just a quick note/question:
    IPE is a very serious condition, and one that most physicians would say preclude you from diving. Have you been clinically diagnosed? I hope you have taken the time to read DAN's report on it

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/me...ulmonary_Edema

Please dive safe... IPE can also happen in warm water.

Bob Sweeney bobmaggi has a spectacular aura about bobmaggi has a spectacular aura about bobmaggi has a spectacular aura about bobmaggi has a spectacular aura about bobmaggi has a spectacular aura about bobmaggi has a spectacular aura about bobmaggi's Avatar
    KISS Spirit LTE

KISS Classic

Quote Originally Posted by whynot?  View Original Post
    Just a quick note/question:
    IPE is a very serious condition, and one that most physicians would say preclude you from diving. Have you been clinically diagnosed? I hope you have taken the time to read DAN's report on it

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/me...ulmonary_Edema

Please dive safe... IPE can also happen in warm water.
    I have had 4 minor hits in the last 3 years and each time it happened when I over hydrate. So I watch my fluid intake the day before diving and have not had an issue when I take those precautions. I stopped doing most deco diving or make sure the deco is relatively short. I recognize the symptoms earlier now and stop the dive, this last hit was the lightest one yet. One of the other factors thought to be a contributor is having a hard inhale to trigger a ADV. I'm adding a manual diluent gas block to reduce that particular risk factor.

KISS Spirit LTE

KISS Classic

Quote Originally Posted by Muddiver  View Original Post
    If your asking if the pod should be pushed in or out, it's meant to be used in the pushed in position and the mouth price in your mouth to reduce dead space and prevent build up of CO2. Are you asking about the O-rings on the hose connections?
    I figured that the pod was supposed to be pushed in during the dive but what is the purpose for allowing it to move out? The o-rings I'm talking about are the 2 that dangle from the part that hangs over the BOV (it has the Hollis symbol on it) and attach to the small metal pegs. I routed the prints like it showed in the instructions but I'm not clear as to what their purpose is.
    The mask is easy to put on and remove, the pod attaches easily also. I hope to try it out in the water this weekend and do some practice time with flooding, removal and such in the water. I wish there was more information out there on the mask, Google doesn't bring up much and the Hollis site has nothing I can find.

Muddiver Muddiver is an unknown quantity at this point Muddiver's Avatar
    Poseidon Cis Lunar 7

The pad moves out so that you can talk if you have a communications system installed. It also allow you to breath freely with the mouth piece out if you need to say relax your jaw. It's recommended by Kirby Morgan that you use the mouth piece.

I use the Kirby Morgan pods so I'm not familiar with something that Hollis has manufactured. You may have to contact Hollis directly to answer your other questions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RBW Member Blair Mott is an unknown quantity at this point Blair Mott's Avatar

Bobmaggi – Curious to know if you received the Hollis Owners Guide to the BOV POD or a link to an electronic version of it? I did read you received the assembly instructions, but felt it was unclear what the O-rings “on the side of the POD” were for.

The two O-rings on the side of the Adapter Frame, H are tension O-rings used to bring the locking arm w/ H logo into the locking position on the Adapter Frame, H.

Pg. 7 Hollis BOV POD Owners Guide states: The POD mouthpiece is made of soft flexible silicone that is bellowed to allow for comfortable positioning (Fig 3). By operating the locking arm, the diver can adjust fore and aft movement of the mouthpiece for three different settings:
    1. Full extension away from the mouth
    2. Neutral
    3. In/closest to the mouth

Pg. 10 Hollis BOV POD Owners Guide states: MOUTHPIECE POSITION ADJUSTMENTS
    The Hollis BOV POD has the ability to make easy adjustment of the mouthpiece position. Lifting up on Locking Arm and pushing the body of BOV in all the way will bring the mouthpiece into the mouth. By releasing the arm, tension O-rings will bring the Locking Arm to the Frame Adapter, which will lock the position without any additional effort required. Movement throughout the three different positions only requires the diver to lift the Locking Arm away from the Frame Adapter. Locking is achieved by simply releasing the Locking Arm once desired position is found.

Pertaining to the mouthpiece, Both the Kirby Morgan User Guides for the M-48 SuperMask® and M-48 MOD-1 simply state you must have the mouthpiece installed properly into the POD and cannot dive without it mounted into the pod. The User Guide also makes it clear that you can dive the mask with the mouthpiece in or out of your mouth as long as the POD is sealed to the mask. You can also dive the mask without the POD sealed to the mask illustrating only one of the reasons of always having a mouthpiece mounted into the POD. Hollis is instructing their customers to secure the mouthpiece in the mouth when diving the modular full face mask system on rebreathers (Explorer or the Prism 2).

Hope this has been helpful and I look forward to hearing how it has worked for you in the water!

KISS Spirit LTE

KISS Classic

I found the manual on-line and figured out the purpose of the o-rings. I've tried out the different positions and I've found the mask to be comfortable and my face has never been this warm in Lake Michigan waters! It takes some getting used to as the field of vision is much narrower than my previous mask. I've changed my pre-dive prep process so that the mask is the last item I put on. Exhaling through my nose on ascent is an interesting sensation, using the spring loaded dump valve releases most of the excess air but there is a lot of bubbling through the face seal and then into my hood. Taking the mouthpiece out while on the surface results in a lot of the loop gas escaping and burping through the face seal.
    The one thing I do not like is the 'paddles' in the nose used for equalizing. My nose must be short as I can close off the left nostril but have a lot of problem getting the right nostril to seal. I've tried many different means and angles to try to get it to work without a lot of success. I practice on the couch while wearing my dry gloves, I seem to find a method that works there but in the water it doesn't. This has led to very slow and sometimes painful (requiring a quick ascent up a couple of feet to try again) descents while trying to equalize. I've been scouring the internet to see if there are any other solutions but haven't found anything yet. Outside of this issue I want to like the mask but if I can't solve this problem it will be a deal-breaker for me using it in the future. One hope is if I can manufacture a modification to the nose paddles that could make a better nose block. I just need some ideas in order to design something that will fit in the available space.

Quote Originally Posted by Blair Mott  View Original Post
    Bobmaggi – Curious to know if you received the Hollis Owners Guide to the BOV POD or a link to an electronic version of it? I did read you received the assembly instructions, but felt it was unclear what the O-rings “on the side of the POD” were for.

Hope this has been helpful and I look forward to hearing how it has worked for you in the water!

Chett Lehrer Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L's Avatar
    rEvo FT / Hollis P-2/ rEvo lll

Prism Topaz-1 / rEvo ll

How do you like the vision out of the M48? Do you like better then a regular dive mask or not?

Best regards,
    Chett. L

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast