+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Looking for advice/tips/experience

Still Searching matt_reed is an unknown quantity at this point matt_reed's Avatar
    Pelagian

Re: Looking for advice/tips/experience

Jan Schimd literally "just" moved to Palau, so that might suit you well. He's a JJ instructor and a super nice guy!
    http://www.jj-ccr.com/instructorsdea...an-schmid.aspx

As above, you won't really know until yo've spent a year diving the unit. JJ is a solid choice. I just picked up an SF2 and love it...

RBW Member Garethingham is an unknown quantity at this point Garethingham's Avatar

I trained on a meg and pathfinder, the JJ is the unit I ended up buying. It's simple, relatively non proprietary and easy to setup and dive. The meg has lots of good points and redundancies I never saw myself using. They have proprietary battery structure in the head and electronics which for most older megs out there will go EOL. The MK15 will be the supported unit into the future, not sure how cheap a used one would be as they are still a new unit. These are plug and play units which I see as an advantage. If you are comfortable with a dumb display the size of a brick then an older meg could be a go.

If you can get a Divecan JJ this is a modular unit, will retain value well, will allow you to do all the dives you could want and can be sold for reasonable coin if you decide it's not for you.

The Revo has proprietary tech on the secondary cell monitors. Inspo is proprietary as is the new hammerhead on primary controller. Shearwater is the benchmark in my humble view, others are still playing catch up.

For me, I like units that are the least proprietary, have good WOB and don't force your hand on parts and setup.

A cheap Kiss classic could be an option if you wanted a lower entry point with some known limitations around WOB and scrubber design.

I echo others comments around getting a great instructor that does the sort of diving you want to do. Spend more money there as it will repay you with the good advice and basic skills which allow you to be effective and safe underwater.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boldy Go JAlpert is an unknown quantity at this point JAlpert's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by matt_reed  View Original Post
    Jan Schimd literally "just" moved to Palau, so that might suit you well. He's a JJ instructor and a super nice guy!
    http://www.jj-ccr.com/instructorsdea...an-schmid.aspx

As above, you won't really know until yo've spent a year diving the unit. JJ is a solid choice. I just picked up an SF2 and love it...
    I just heard from my friends in Palau that Jan is moving out there. Actually to be an instructor at my old shop. Perfect since that's my goal and there's already five JJs on island. Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2