+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Kiss Baby Booster rebuild tips

Steve Sprague 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster's Avatar
    rEvo

Dolphin

Kiss Baby Booster rebuild tips

After 6 years of trusty service since its last overhaul my booster quit all of a sudden. I've been intending to service it with a rebuild kit in my spares stash for a few years but never got around to it. I should not have waited so long.

I live close to Vancouver Canada and the last time it was serviced I took it to Jetsam's shop and watched as Jetsam's booster expert, Simon, did the work. I picked up a few tips that way and felt confident that I would be able to do the service with the assistance of the manual and my notes this time.

I just learned that delaying service so long was not a good idea! The stoppage was caused by one of the valves breaking (PV1) and part of it got into the drive cylinder side. This damaged the drive gas piston. It will most likely have to be replaced as well as the pressure piston, since they are a complete unit. I have a plan for repair if the piston is not available, but I hope I don't have to go that route.

In my spare parts from the last service in Vancouver was a used PV1 valve. Its not in my notes, and certainly not in my memory banks, but I suspect that was one of the tips that Simon gave me - REPLACE PV1 EVERY FEW YEARS! It's a small brass poppet valve that fatigued and broke. - After god knows how many cycles.

I emailed Kiss last night and this morning got a reply from Kim - at the moment she is checking inventory to see if they have a replacement Drive/Pressure piston. It didn't sound like the other parts will be a problem.

When I get the parts I'll post the reassembly process and tips I got from Simon that I noted in my copy of the booster manual.

The take away right now is replace PV1 every couple of years and you will save yourself an expensive repair.

The 2 brass parts in the lower right of the picture should be 1 brass part (PV1) and it looks like I need a new spring as well. And the piston needs some work.

IMG_0370.JPG
    Last edited by 4ster; 26th January 2016 at 19:11.

RBW Member ssk is an unknown quantity at this point ssk's Avatar
    Dolphin, Meg 2.7 Shearwater

LAR VI, Fenzy PO68, Homebuilt

Re: Kiss Baby Booster rebuild tips

Hi 4ster,
    Thank you so much for sharing. I've a similar unit so very interested to see how this job will develop.
    BR
    David

Down to no good kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter's Avatar
    JJ, Flex

rEvo III, Optima, GEM

I wonder how long you will continue to be able to find that PV1 part since they don't make the booster any longer. Perhaps you should stock up if you think it should be replaced every couple of years.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    Just remember that listening to an idiot such as myself may very well get your arse dead.

Steve Sprague 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster's Avatar
    rEvo

Dolphin

I only ordered one PV1 since at this point it is a little iffy whether this thing will be more than parts. Kiss doesn't have any pistons in inventory. That probably means that at the very least the drive piston will have to be made. I dropped the piston off at a machine shop today, we'll decide how to proceed in the next few days.

If I do end up getting the piston repaired I'll take a few photos and add the re-assembly tips I got from my visit with Simon at Jetsam six years ago. If I end up determining that repair is too expensive I will still post those tips here. You guys just won't be able to verify that the advice is any good.
    Last edited by 4ster; 29th January 2016 at 05:22.

RBW Member PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG's Avatar
    Meg

Fenzy PO68 Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by 4ster  View Original Post
    I only ordered one PV1 since at this point it is a little iffy whether this thing will be more than parts. Kiss doesn't have any pistons in inventory. That probably means that at the very least the drive piston will have to be made. I dropped the piston off at a machine shop today, we'll decide how to proceed in the next few days.

If I do end up getting the piston repaired I'll take a few photos and add the re-assembly tips I got from my visit with Simon at Jetsam six years ago. If I end up determining that repair is too expensive I will still post those tips here. You guys just won't be able to verify that the advice is any good.
    Please do! I too have a baby booster that has been great. Now I only use for road side boosting, but I sure would miss it.

On one of the forums I recently read of some one replacing the head and using two check valves instead of the finniky reed valve. Perhaps that could help? The rest of it is very simple.

Peter

rEvo

Dolphin

About the reed valves. When it was rebuilt the last time, Simon at Jetsam spent about 5 minutes lapping the the 2 brass parts of the head that sandwich the reed valve. He used 1200 grit paper on a precision bed. He stressed that these two parts must be absolutely flat for best performance.

I had zero issues with the reed valves. In my case PV1 failed, damaging the drive gas piston. Based on evidence from Simon's Service (a used PV1 in my spares stash) he was aware of this possibility. It is not part of the booster's rebuild kit, but the next time you are servicing your booster, I would recommend replacing this part as a standard service item. It adds $27.50 to the cost of the rebuild but potentially saves hundreds of dollars in repair costs if you choose to repair the damaged booster.

RBW Member firemedic1015 is an unknown quantity at this point firemedic1015's Avatar
    Golem FLEX and Hammerhead

I recently had problems with my Kiss booster cycling properly and talked to Mike Young about it. He thought that the problem was in the Humphreys valve so I looked around for a new one. In talking to Humpherys the M42A valve has been discontinued. The last production units went to Kiss. One of the engineers told me that the SRK42A rebuild kit will service all of the 42 series valves. I was able to source one for about $20 from the distributor and it only took about 15 minutes to do a rebuild. The Kiss manual says not to disassemble it but there's really nothing special in there. Just make sure you orient the top and bottom correctly on reassembly. It does require loctite on the top and bottom plugs to ensure that they seal.

+ Reply to Thread