+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wanted: Sticky on Spheres

RBW Member Danseur is an unknown quantity at this point Danseur's Avatar

Wanted: Sticky on Spheres

After going nuts trying to find detailed info on all varieties of spheres I have come to the great aspiration of hoping to generate a sticky here with details on these. I only found about 1/2 the info I needed after a tremendous amount of work and I'm hoping that there are plenty out there with sufficient expertise to create a good repository in one searchable spot.

So, who can share?

Options:

Steel
    Tavco Inconell (other manufacturers?)
    Dräger Carbon wrapped
    Other Carbon?

And within those:
    Working Pressure and Capacity? Designed Service life? Hydro? Risk of extending service life? Commercial fills?

DOT, Non-DOT, or Europe only? Can be imported/exported?

Valve type?

Production dates, and possible availability?

Originally designed for and used in ___________?

Add any other field you think worthy...

Although I *think* I know some of these answers, I am a total Noob on the subject. I'd love to know them all and suspect I'm not alone.

Thanks!

Monkey Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts's Avatar
    KISS

Optima, Megalodon, KISS, rEvo

Re: Wanted: Sticky on Spheres

I'm not sure this topic needs to be a sticky, considering it's a real niche item. Also the majority of members here simply go to the "whats new" button and click that, negating any sticky post.

Just use the search function.

Searched and read every thread containing Sphere, Spheres, Drager, Mk 15/15.5/16, SM1600, Biomarine, CCR1000, Viper, Tavco, Iconell/Iconel (to account for misspellings), Carlton, and Jeeze, I'm sure I'm forgetting a few.

Repeated on CCRx, TDS, CDF, Google and even Scubaboard. Asked several well informed "tinkerers" and two who've done buildouts using an Iconel and a Drager Carbon Fiber sphere.

Nobody wants to be shown their ass and just be told "use the search function" and be proved too lazy to in fact use the search function; at least not I.

With SM and BOB a "thing", as well as the usual Mk 15x crowd, I figured I can't be the only schmo who's looking for this stuff...

First order, what's the lifespan on Drager Carbon Fiber spheres used in the firefighting "triple pack"?

I am filling at home (or with friendlies), but once hydro'd in Europe, and sent with the appropriate valve Stateside, I'm on my own, so I need to know what I'm working with, please.

Dive different. cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys's Avatar
    MK15.5, MK15, LARV

KISS Classic

Quote Originally Posted by Danseur  View Original Post
    First order, what's the lifespan on Drager Carbon Fiber spheres used in the firefighting "triple pack"?

15 to 30 years design life?

Quote Originally Posted by cys  View Original Post
    Good guess, but spheres aren't on the list.

1999-2003 are the ones I encountered. If at the end of their "useful" life, I don't have the experience to assess the safety margin.

However, if they're 20 or 30yr design life, I'm good. 😎

Either way, kinda need to know...

RBW Member whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot?'s Avatar
    MK15.5, MK25

1999-2003 are the ones I encountered. If at the end of their "useful" life, I don't have the experience to assess the safety margin.

However, if they're 20 or 30yr design life, I'm good. ��

For carbon, contact Martin at Tecme
    For Inconel, contact Kevin J at Hammerhead

That's the best info you will find... period.

And as an FYI, these are usually referred to as Flasks, not Spheres; at least in the military and aviation community where they originated.

Reads fine print (mostly) Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather's Avatar
    MEGALODON MK15.5

BMR500 IDA71 IDA64 RGUFM AKA60

However, if they're 20 or 30yr design life, I'm good. ��

The older Drager 300 bar spheres had the same 15 year death sentence of all the composite pressure vessels of that time (see pic). They were, at best, a compromise when used in a MK15.x. They had to be filled to 300 bar to hold the same quantity of gas as a standard steel or iconel at 3000 psi. How comfy are you boosting O2 to 300 bar?

One way to troll for spheres is to use a fleabay search alert. When whatever term you chose appears, you'll get an email. I use the term 'Tavco'. Mostly aircraft stuff comes up (anybody need a 747 emergency slide inflation air bottle?) but once or twice a year some dive stuff 'surfaces'.

The upside of all this is, once you sell a kidney to afford a pair of iconel spheres, is that iconel doesn't corrode. They're essentially good forever as long as they ARE NOT physically abused.

Good luck- no sarcasm implied.
    Attached Images

So, is this the same sort...?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread