+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Managing two CCR loops

RBW Member Tim1 is an unknown quantity at this point Tim1's Avatar
    JJ CCR, Hammerhead, Flex

Sentinel

Managing two CCR loops

Presently I dive more or less conventional back-mounted JJ CCR and Hammerhead CCRs with a growing array of side-mounted bail-out appropriate to the longer run times and depths I dive. A BOB is becoming an attractive alternative and I am am considering a side-mounted Flex as primary bail-out.

I would very much like to get a better understanding of managing two CCR loops and the protocols which others are using to maintain and verify loop integrity particularly in deep (100 metre / 350 ft plus), square profile dives where 'prompt' rates of descent and 'focused' ascents are required.

Many thanks in advance, Tim

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

Re: Managing two CCR loops

I dive a home built sidemount BOB. I have had it to 300' on several occasions.

I use a revodream HUD for monitoring and have it set to user setpoint (green is good). a quick glance tells if the loop is breathable. I start the dive with the loop full of air and let the ADV fire as needed. This tends to keep the PO2 in the green for the entire bottom time and will only go hypoxic on the ascent. I manually add O2 to maintain. It is a purely manual unit BTW. a couple of quick switches to the BOB during the dive is nice to verify integrity but I don't worry much about that anymore.
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

Fake Diver Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack's Avatar
    Meg

KISS

The biggest issue with managing 2 loops is the ascent, not the descent.

As Don said, if its a manual BOB, just let the adv keep gas in the loop, and swap loops a few breaths to verify integrity of the BOB.

Ascents, thats more tricky, and I think where a BOB needs to be designed for.

The KISS SK didnt vent well at all. The vent was placed low, for clearing water out of the can, but made it useless for venting the loop without going way heads up to vent. Wound up using the DSV to vent the loop on ascents, which I found to be rather painful.

RBW Member atedeschi is an unknown quantity at this point atedeschi's Avatar
    Kiss Classic & Sidekick CCR

revo Hybrid, Golem Flex

I use the sidekick as BOB, and add O2 on surface and let the ADV fire on descent. On ascent I look up if coming up anchor line or roll to my side and press the OPV. You will be surprised how little you have to vent it. I was getting water in the unit when I first started testing because over venting.

+ Reply to Thread