+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Super newbie from the UAE

RBW Member DragonZA is an unknown quantity at this point DragonZA's Avatar
    Poseidon mk VI

Super newbie from the UAE

Hi everyone, Im an OC instructor who is finally making the move to CCR after many years of lurking and researching etc. I am the proud owner of a new Poseidon MK6 (yes I know I know!) and looking forward to my upcoming training with Mark from RAID.

My plan is primarily to use the machine in the rec NDL environment until I am much more comfortable with it and CCR in general before moving on to some more technical diving. We have a lot of 40-60m wrecks out here that I would love to dive, once I have the training, skills and hours under the belt.

Even though I am new on the forum, Ive been lurking on and off for many years now, getting my RB fix before I could afford one. In that time the (unknowing) advice of many members has been invaluable, thanks! (Especially PSotis and DrMike amongst others)

Now I just need to come up with my best BCD mounting options and backup computer and Im ready to go.... learn what I don't know I don't know

Thanks for having me,
    Brendon

New Member Tech alex is an unknown quantity at this point Tech alex's Avatar
    Ouroborus

Mk15, Poseidon Mk 6 60m

Re: Super newbie from the UAE

Welcome aboard Brendon,
    Don't take any notice of the negative remarks against the mk6, you obviously bought one because you wanted one, and tbh I find mine really nice to dive, yes they do have their quirks with regard the start up and battery cycles etc, but ultimately they're a good safe bit of kit.
    Right, well I have one and have no plans to sell it, I actually have my unit fitted to my Poseidon d100 wing and besea harness by way of a custom divers Q/R clamp, I did this because I love the wing that I used with a big twinset for years, and when I bought the mk6 I wanted the larger tec lungs (60m upgrade kit) and this wasn't compatible with the bcd style ccr Poseidon effort (that I personally don't like, d rings etc in wrong place for me) anyway, I now am able within 5min to slip either the twinset or ccr on to the wing depending what I'm doing, (if I go Scapa for example for a week the twinset is back up, which incidentally I've never needed)
    I also use separate inflation systems for wing and dry suit, and that really shows you how little of the breathing gases your body metabolises.
    Hope that's a help to you, I can sort pics if you want me to.

Enjoy your new silent world of diving. And merry Christmas.

Poseidon mk VI

Hey Alex. Thanks for the welcome!

Basically I picked up the Discos (see i have the lingo sorted already!) at an absolute steal, so I had to figure out if I could use it after I had already gotten it

My wife and I are avid Marine Reef Aquarium hobbyists so the idea of ambling down a shallow reef with extended bottom times and warm moist air and no noise really appeals. I do find myself looking at some of the wrecks here at 40-60m and going "One day..." so nice to know the machine can handle that should I ever get up to that proficiency level.

Im probably going to attach the unit to my Zeagle Ranger BCD with a cam band for my course, I want some time on the unit and a LOT of discussion with my instructor and the guys here before I buy anything

I have ordered the tecme refillable canister for when prepacks become an issue here but only planning to use as backup

Happy diving and thanks again!
    B

Ouroborus

Mk15, Poseidon Mk 6 60m

No problem Brendon, yeah I also used to be a keen aquarist, and absolutely right, you will be astounded at how much more marine life you'll be able to see close up without them shying away so much, and yes the breathing is also nice and warm.
    Tbh I've got a self packer scrubber in mine and once your taught how to do this properly you'll just do it that way, you'll save a fortune and as long as you don't cut corners it's not a dangerous thing to do.

Poseidon mk VI

Basically the price of prepack here is 2x the self pack. That being said, in real terms its the same as an o2 fill here for the unit. Im in aviation and my basic tenet is to ease off the learning curve when things get risky. So, the less opportunity I have to get it wrong while Im learning the better.

That being said, once I have enough time to be comfortable on the unit, then I will probably end up starting to do the packing myself.

What could possibly go wrong? :roll eyes:

As a question, how good is the quality control on these prepacks? If self packing properly is safer then that should be a focus of my training while I have the instructor here at least. if not, let the clever people at Sofno take some of the pressure off me

Ouroborus

Mk15, Poseidon Mk 6 60m

The pre-packs are well controlled by Poseidon and I've not heard of a problem associated with one of these. I believe non of the self packer kits are ce approved,
    But yes for the time being and for your course anyway you'll have to use the pre-packs, as you say at least this way also allows a little less task loading and information overload. Which in your situation is the better bet,
    As regard the cam banding and your wing, I did mean to put in the last post that is the way to do things, at least with the cam you'll be able to play with the trim for adjustment dive to dive.

Nb you may find as I have that ccr,s perform better at depths of more than 10m due to various reasons, but when you start out you may find this, and all the new skills you have to learn a touch off putting, don't let any of this put you off, see it all through and you will love the benefits these machines bring once you've got a few hours on them and the quirks and skills are coming naturally, the enjoyment then begins properly.

Poseidon mk VI

As the lowest RB time person on here (0 hrs and counting) I would never dream of taking a comment wrong. I am curious about the trim issues, I moved to rear inflate BCD in the last 2 years and find myself leaning in the direction of the DIR approach, purely in the sense of keeping everything simple, uncluttered and with the emphasis on in-water trim.

I find the DIR disciples interpersonal skills.... challenging but boy did I find i used a lot less effort / gas once I had a usable trim and worked on maintaining it.

How do you find that the trim with OTS CL and hose lengths etc work out for you? Is the unit easy to get into a true horizontal trim or does it require some work? I've been hearing / reading about trim issues and the benefits of inverting cylinders etc and wondered how that works out in real life

RBW Member wwjk is an unknown quantity at this point wwjk's Avatar
    SF2

Hi Brendon,

the trim is extremely variable with different units. Some of them (e.g. XCCR, SF-2) have a killer trim right out of the box, others like the Evolution you have to work out to find your way of diving.
    Its all a bit more complicated than OC, but then the magic starts...

Ouroborus

Mk15, Poseidon Mk 6 60m

Quote Originally Posted by wwjk  View Original Post
    Hi Brendon,

the trim is extremely variable with different units. Some of them (e.g. XCCR, SF-2) have a killer trim right out of the box, others like the Evolution you have to work out to find your way of diving.
    Its all a bit more complicated than OC, but then the magic starts...
    Absolutely true, in simple terms the positioning of the unit is the same as in OC when you find the correct height you prefer the cylinder banded on, but on ccr you are trying to do this, and as you have correctly noticed get the lung placement and hoses all set up right, I wouldn't worry about this though, you'll be taken through it on your course

Supporting Member Brakepressure is an unknown quantity at this point Brakepressure's Avatar
    Revo III rms

Hi brendon,
    I'm in the UAE as well so keep in touch.

Enjoy your course

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast