+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 330ft/100m, Baja California/SoCal, Middle East, Philippines

RBW Member ZephyrNewYork is an unknown quantity at this point ZephyrNewYork's Avatar

330ft/100m, Baja California/SoCal, Middle East, Philippines

Hello, everybody.

I'm currently in Baja California, Mexico. I joined this forum in September 2006, just before moving back to Hawai'i a second time. schford asked me to, but I never did introduce myself. Back then I was probably thinking that I'd get back into diving in Hawai'i first, then I'd introduce myself afterwards. Unfortunately, I used my work schedule and social life as excuses not to get back into diving.

I became a certified PADI Open Water diver in 1995, the first time I was stationed in Hawai'i. The last time I dived was in '99 or 2000 though. I served in the armed forces for years and I've always been attracted to the allure of rebreathers. One of my former units had a bunch of them, but I never got to try one.

Well, here I am years later. I just applied for another job in the Middle East. Along with the job will probably come 2 or 3 weeks of vacation. As of right now, I'm planning on going to a nice place like the Philippines to get back into diving, for real this time. Hopefully, I can find a good tec instructor who can train me on a rebreather. Eventually, I want to take Trimix and CCR Mixed Gas courses so I can do deep dives.

I've been reading up a little on rebreathers and deep dive world records lately. I've seen the world records but only two or three of them seem to have been accomplished with rebreathers. And so far I've seen only one article about a world record in which they mention the model of rebreather: RIP Dave Shaw, 270 m/886 ft., Mk 15.5 with Hammerhead Electronics.

So now I have some questions:

1. Can you recommend some good rebreather/tec instructors in the Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia, and in Baja California, Mexico?

2. What are some good websites or magazines to find independent reviews of rebreathers and other tec dive gear?

3. What are the best rebreathers for diving down to 330 ft/100 m (or deeper)?

4. I saw one or more groups on facebook of rebreather divers who actually make their own. How deep can a homemade rebreather safely go?

5. How do I put a photo on my profile? I don't see a link or a button to Add a photo.

Thanks for having me in the group. I look forward to hearing from you.

Frank

ANDI IT #47 andibk will become famous soon enough andibk will become famous soon enough andibk will become famous soon enough andibk's Avatar
    Hammerhead, Optima and Nautilu

Hammerhead, Inspiration, Kiss

Re: 330ft/100m, Baja California/SoCal, Middle East, Philippines

Welcome aboard Frank. I am originally from the states but I have been living in Thailand for the past 21 years teaching tec, cave, ccr and wreck courses at all levels. I have been all over asia but my home away from home is the Philippines. I spend half my time there exploring caves and teaching courses. More then happy to answer any questions that you have. You can email me at sidemountdiver@hotmail.com. I am also on facebook.
    www.deeptecdiver.com You can read all sorts of articles on exploration trips and courses here. There are alot of videos there you can watch also.

Bruce

RBW Member ZephyrNewYork is an unknown quantity at this point ZephyrNewYork's Avatar

Bruce,

I just read your bio on your website. You're a Marine too, I see. I'm about to add you on fb. In which town(s) do you teach?

S/f,
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by andibk  View Original Post
    Welcome aboard Frank. I am originally from the states but I have been living in Thailand for the past 21 years teaching tec, cave, ccr and wreck courses at all levels. I have been all over asia but my home away from home is the Philippines. I spend half my time there exploring caves and teaching courses. More then happy to answer any questions that you have. You can email me at sidemountdiver@hotmail.com. I am also on facebook.
    www.deeptecdiver.com You can read all sorts of articles on exploration trips and courses here. There are alot of videos there you can watch also.

Bruce

Chett Lehrer Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L's Avatar
    rEvo FT / Hollis P-2/ rEvo lll

Prism Topaz-1 / rEvo ll

Hi Frank,

Nice to meet you on RBW.

Thank you for serving our United States military keeping our country safe .

Best regards,
    Chett. L

It's nice to meet you too, Chett :)

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Chett.L  View Original Post
    Hi Frank,

Nice to meet you on RBW.

Thank you for serving our United States military keeping our country safe .

Best regards,

Merry belated Christmas, everybody! Happy holidays! And Happy New Year's Eve Eve Eve! ;)

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

Hi Frank,
    I don't know if schford even looks at RBW any more, he was 3 owners ago but welcome to RBW.
    andibk is the real deal. He has plenty of tech diving experience and practices what he teaches. You would find him a very effective teacher (even if he doesn't teach megalodon).
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

Thanks, Dave :) Why no Megalodon, Bruce? :P

Quote Originally Posted by wedivebc  View Original Post
    Hi Frank,
    I don't know if schford even looks at RBW any more, he was 3 owners ago but welcome to RBW.
    andibk is the real deal. He has plenty of tech diving experience and practices what he teaches. You would find him a very effective teacher (even if he doesn't teach megalodon).

+ Reply to Thread