+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Homebuilt scooter

Paul Daniels eXile is on a distinguished road eXile is on a distinguished road eXile's Avatar
    Davis Station, Antarctica(Usually Jervis Bay, Australia)
    Ouroboros #107

Classic Inspo, Ray, Homebuild

Homebuilt scooter

Ok, so I have well and truly finished my homebuilt scooter based on an old Apollo AV-1 motor I was donated.
    Firstly I started with two old aluminium scuba cylinders and machined them into the nose and tail cones
    20150115_180408.jpg20141230_173520.jpg

I then made up a shroud and handle and attactched them to the tailcone and mounted the motor and prop.
    20150509_172734.jpg

After that I built a prototype battery pack out of a few lead acid batteries I had laying around
    20150412_150539.jpg

Next I finished off the nose cone and mounted all the hardware to the unit
    20150511_155035.jpg

Here is the scooter just before the second test dive
    20150727_103057.jpg

After the first test dive when I confirmed it was watertight and ran well I built I 40Ah Li-Ion battery pack of which I haven't got a picture handy. The second test dive confirmed that the scooter was tail heavy in a big way and took a lot of pondering deep in thought to come up with a solution. After a bit of thinking I decided to strap some foam to the shroud as floatation. This worked well so I decided to make it permanent by encasing the foam in carbon fiber to make it watertight and a bit stronger and the fixing it permanently to the shroud.
    Here is a photo of the floats being formed, there is a layer of glass being laminated onto the back to hold the curve.
    20150823_143805.jpg

After all of this I decided that I didn't like the throttle linkage so I decided to build a thumb/forefinger twist throttle. This is the final mod on my home made scooter version 1.0
    Untitled.jpg
    Last edited by eXile; 6th December 2015 at 02:18.

Paul Daniels eXile is on a distinguished road eXile is on a distinguished road eXile's Avatar
    Ouroboros #107

Re: Homebuilt scooter

I should also add that the Li-Ion pack I built is a 14.4V nominal pack, as such the motor runs a fair bit faster than the standard AV-1 motor. I also added some 90mm fans inside behind the motor to circulate air inside. I figured that being all aluminium that it would conduct away some of the heat from the motor and also keep the batteries a bit warmer in cold water.

So, now I am currently designing version 2.0
    I have been busy on solidworks and am slowly getting there. The new scooter is based around a brushless DC motor and magnetic coupling as I don't really trust the seal on version 1.0. Has anyone got any experience in the magnetic coupling field? I realise I could buy a beautiful Genisis but I actually just enjoy the designing/building thing so prefer to make my own gear where I can.

I should note that I am currently stationed in Antarctica working here until mid March 2016 so I have plenty of free time to draw and think. Unfortunately our internet is painfully slow (1Mbit connection between about 100 personnel) so it really inhibits my ability to look stuff up on the net. Absolutely cannot watch youtube videos etc. so I'd really appreciate any suggestions to the new design or any links to webpages with good info on the magnetic coupling.

Cheers,
    Paul

RBW Member JohnnyC is an unknown quantity at this point JohnnyC's Avatar

Wow, that's super impressive! Good job!

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Very nice work, Paul.

I've often wondered whether a BLDC motor could be built using magnetic bearings between around the perimeter of a ring fixed to the blade tips and the shroud, a series of alternating polarity permanent magnets in that ring too and a set of coils in the shroud. If the electromechanical side of it functioned it would be completely sealed, and I think there's an elegance to having the motor and prop being integrated with a battery pack maybe even trailing behind it so the blade is presented with clean (non turbulent) water.

Ouroboros #107

So far I was looking at doing it similar to a standard scooter. Here are the drawings I've been working on
    ScootV2-2.jpgScootV2-1.jpg

I had thought about something similar to what you describe Captain Starfish but still keeping the prop behind the nose. I'll keep on trying and see what else I can come up with

Chett Lehrer Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L's Avatar
    rEvo FT / Hollis P-2/ rEvo lll

Prism Topaz-1 / rEvo ll

Very impressive!

Best regards,
    Chett. L

RBW Member Jon Nellis will become famous soon enough Jon Nellis will become famous soon enough Jon Nellis will become famous soon enough Jon Nellis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Starfish  View Original Post

I've often wondered whether a BLDC motor could be built using magnetic bearings between around the perimeter of a ring fixed to the blade tips and the shroud, a series of alternating polarity permanent magnets in that ring too and a set of coils in the shroud. If the electromechanical side of it functioned it would be completely sealed, and I think there's an elegance to having the motor and prop being integrated with a battery pack maybe even trailing behind it so the blade is presented with clean (non turbulent) water.
    It's been done (Google: Schilling Ring Thruster) and after 5 years and 10+ milion dollar in R&D, the project was scraped for numerous technical issues, not to mention inefficiency of the large fluid shearing surface between the rotor and stator.

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Thanks, Jon - I'm a firm believer in learning from others' mistakes. Even when the lesson is "no. don't even."

:)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Starfish  View Original Post
    maybe even trailing behind it so the blade is presented with clean (non turbulent) water.
    Just a quick note: Presenting the prop with laminar flow is less important than reducing the interfering area behind the prop. It's why pushers tend to be slightly more efficient than tractors when it comes to aircraft. Plus, following a few guidelines can give great efficiency to a pusher-style screw/prop.

Ouroboros #107

So it's now been a while and I've done a fair few dives on this scooter. Just got a question for you guys that scooter a lot. How do you handle the torque generated by the prop. I've installed the weighting off to one side to try to counteract it but it's still quite tiring after an hours scootering. Maybe I have done something I shouldn't have when I built it but I just can't understand what that would be? Am I missing something simple here?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast