+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Modifying Ray Bypass

Acme Serpentine Lubricant lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland's Avatar

Modifying Ray Bypass

Hi Folks,

not entirely sure I'm in the right section but here goes...

I need an ADV for my RB and the simplest option would seem to be a modified Ray bypass plugged into a P-port. I'm not really into that idea though, it means either custom hose fittings or using adapters, neither of which I particularly want to do. Looking at the case, it is just a 2nd stage with a p-plug rather than a mouthpiece. It would look a simple enough job to remove the valve from a 2nd stage and fitting it into a Ray bypass case.

Has anyone ever done it?

Cheers,

Stuart

Stefan Besier caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz & Sport KISS

(still owned) MK15

Maybe this will work.
    It's fairly similar to Bob Howell's ADV housing, different material I believe.

Acme Serpentine Lubricant lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland's Avatar
    It probably would but it's a lot more expensive as I can get the case and valve mechanism for not much money (< 1/3 of the Oxycheq device). Thanks anyway.

New Member canuckdiver is an unknown quantity at this point canuckdiver's Avatar
    Forgive me for speculating here, but.....

From what I have seen in the drawings, the dolphin "dosage device", looks like just an ADV valve and diaphram, with additional ports on the sides for the various constant-addition orfices.
    If that's truly the way it works, it would be an ideal setup to grab as a home-builder (I think)

The ray unit seems to be similar, except the main valve is set up to have a constant "leak" as the addition.

RBW Member Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck's Avatar
    Dolphin

Stuart,

I am not sure if this helps- but here you go.

Bob Howell had a nice ADV that was used with US Diver regulator guts. I have seen one on the parts page for rebreathers at Oxycheq. To my understanding it was designed for the Inspiration.

It used an Aqualung LPO- Web http://www.aqualung.com/products/lpo.html

Ron at Tmishop has some interesting conversion fitting to standard hoses from some shop out of Germany. Web- http://www.tmishop.com/

Company I believe is www.tecme.de

You probably could buy an Inspiration Adv and mount it various ways if you wanted.

Have you seen this? http://www.ccr.dolphin.btinternet.co.uk/

Listed above is a modified Dolphin demand valve modification.

Water and Safety – German site- www.danshop.com

Ray Bypass http://www.danshop.com/raybypassteile.html

Dolphin Bypass http://www.danshop.com/ddbypassteile.html

The Dolphin bypass is better because you have a demand valve and CFM flow connection points- covered on Ron’s web page. So one connection becomes the demand valve the flow valves get mod’d to the Kiss O2 flow input.

Please consider contacting manufactures- I know that Steam Machines, and Custom Rebreathers –Meg also sell adv valves that mount to your counterlungs.

An alterative is to buy a second stage and mount it to the counterlung as an ADV. If this approach is taken I highly recommend a slide- on/off valve lots of folks sell them. Also you have to think how to plug the exhaust to stop the second stage from venting. Usually, people machine the housing for a second stage or in some cases they use a tilt valve like a second stage. Also depending on the second stage I have considered plugging the mouthpiece and drilling a hole in the back of the second stage to use a through bulk head adapter. I guess, size, tools, and desire will dictate some of your options.

Happy hunting and if I can help give me a yell.

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by canuckdiver
    From what I have seen in the drawings, the dolphin "dosage device", looks like just an ADV valve and diaphram, with additional ports on the sides for the various constant-addition orfices.
    If that's truly the way it works, it would be an ideal setup to grab as a home-builder (I think)

The ray unit seems to be similar, except the main valve is set up to have a constant "leak" as the addition.
    John Volanthen uses a Dolphin bypass in is C-96 conversion and it works very well. I have discused this with him and he's of the opinion that the Ray unit is different and would not work. With the Dolphin the feeds to the jets are seperate to the tilt valve whereas I believe that the Ray is more integrated. You might be able to use it just as an ADV though but not inject O2 in the same place.

RBW Member Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck's Avatar
    Dolphin

Drawing schematic of Ray
    web http://www.danshop.com/raybypass.html

Drawing of the Dolphin
    http://www.danshop.com/dolphinbypass.html

New Member Andy is an unknown quantity at this point Andy's Avatar

Modifying Ray Bypass

hi

ui have a ray and doloin bypass i will have a look tmw to see if there are any big differences

Andy

Duvet Diver Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A's Avatar
    Stuart,
    I looked at this quite seriously a while ago, In the end I decided to go without a ADV until I was further down the development path.

What I did find out was:-

The Ray Dosage head can be turned into an ADV.

You have to block/remove the jet (doh! next I'll teach you to suck eggs!).(I believe you can buy a cap from Techme)

The easy way to get the correct hose fittings is to chop the reg end off and replace itwith an AP Valves re-useable fitting.

Drager Dosage heads are designed to run at Higher than normal IP's (afaik 16 bar?) Running the dosage head at normal (9-10 bar) IP will make it very stiff to open, the spring can be replaced/modified to aleviate this (cant remember if it's the same for the ray, but the dolphin Dosage head can have the spring swapped for another particular reg spring. A bit of googling should help you find out which spring you need)

===========edit===================
    Correction:- Montyg says this is the Dolphin Dosage head, The Ray Dosage head runs at more normal IP's
    ===========end edit================

Also If you do this, please can you let me know what the final cost was, as I'm still considering an ADV solution.

Regards
    Simon A

Kevin Hagerich Helium_diver is an unknown quantity at this point Helium_diver's Avatar
    KISS Classic

ccr dolphin

Stuart,

I am running a dolphin dosage head in mine . I got the block off plugs from Martin at Tecme. These guys are a great help. :) I run mine off a standard Scuba pro MK20 first stage . Had to make no adjustments to my dosage head spring. The adv valve works like a champ with no mods. i think Ron will back me up on that. I inject my o2 directly into the scrubber. Good luck with your's.

Helium_diver

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast