+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: BOV QD Component setup

RBW Member JohnnyC is an unknown quantity at this point JohnnyC's Avatar

Re: BOV QD Component setup

QC4 is what ISC used to put on the Meg heads but discontinued their use. I have been told this was because there were a couple incidences of them becoming disconnected during a dive but that's all second hand. I would actually prefer a locking QD on the head since it's annoying to have to plug in the head when calibrating. It's either that or plug the LP hose.

Stéphane Acounis Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane's Avatar
    rEvo3 rMS

rEvo2 HH, rEvo1

Hi,

QC4 does not give enough flow for breathing, it can be used for diluent or oxygen on a rebreather but not on the BOV.

--
    Stéphane Acounis

RBW Member keylargojimy has a little shameless behaviour in the past keylargojimy's Avatar
    HAMMERHEAD

HH INSPIRATION

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyC  View Original Post
    Just ordered a Shrimp for my Meg, hopefully it will be shipping soon.

I'm looking for opinions on how everyone likes to set up their QD's and hoses for offboard bailout. At this point let's just assume single offboard bailout, no deep bailout or anything fancy at this current stage.

Currently thinking either Omniswivel QD at the BOV for size and weight and I won't need to be disconnecting it in the water, however I would like to be able to remove the hose easily. Other option is QC6 but they're massive and heavy for what it's being used for in my opinion. From there I had planned 40" hose routed along the loop and down the left side to a QC6. Bailout 1st stage has 11" hose to other side of the QC6. Which side of the connector is preferable for which hose? Male on BOV hose and female on 1st stage side? Other way around?

Thoughts? Without getting into manifolds and switch blocks, etc. this seems the easiest. Unfortunately there isn't a decent video or post that I've been able to find here or other forums with images or video actually intact so I can't model mine after prior posts. I've seen a diagram that looks alright but if anyone has pictures of a solid setup I'd be very thankful.
    HERE IS A PHOTO.
    off board BO gas runs to BOV directly on left side & gas runs to manifold thru inline valve. That's been my setup for wreck & cave diving. shown is a QC6 fitting.

FullSizeRender(5).jpg

Hammerhead CCR diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike's Avatar
    HammerHead CCR

Sidekick & Others

Yes....

Quote Originally Posted by Stephane  View Original Post
    Hi,

QC4 does not give enough flow for breathing, it can be used for diluent or oxygen on a rebreather but not on the BOV.

--
    Stéphane Acounis

Supporting Member Sandy is on a distinguished road Sandy is on a distinguished road Sandy's Avatar
    Biomarine, IDA 71

Italian ARO

Got it. It's been covered before but I could not get a "QC4" to yield a single search result. "QC4's" brought it all out.
    Thanks,

Sandy

RBW Member tripntx is an unknown quantity at this point tripntx's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stephane  View Original Post
    Your setup is OK for the QC6, the female is on the 1st stage as it should.

Please put away this shut-off slider on the BOV, it could be closed by mistake and you would be very surprised if you had to breathe OC from the BOV...
    Putting a shut-off sloder on the regular second stage is a good practice as the regulator is not always in you vision field and it could leak (for example while scootering).
    But on the BOV, the gas path should be free from any blocking device. You can hear and see you BOV 2nd stage leaking, you can always take off the QC6 to stop it if the flow is important.

You are absolutely right, and it's caught me off guard before by being closed during practice. Once during every dive I flip to BOV at depth for two breaths, and found the valve off.

It's only on there because I dive in a lake a lot, and spend time on surface gossiping. When mouthpiece is out, lever flipped to BOV to prevent accidently flooding unit, but the BOV free flows easily in this condition, which is why I added it. I've considered removing it and checking to see if BOV might need to be tuned.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3