+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hello from northern Illinois (Marengo)

RBW Member oldtimercraig is an unknown quantity at this point oldtimercraig's Avatar

Hello from northern Illinois (Marengo)

I have been lurking here for some time now. I am ready to make the move to CCR after some 40 years of OC on great lakes shipwrecks. One thing that is holding me back is finding someone to train me. Any suggestions anyone? I have not made a decision on which unit to buy simply because I am hoping to keep it somewhat local. I have been following the development of CCR"s for the past 15 years or so and I am now convinced this is the future of diving. I look forward to learning to dive all over again. I also look forward to not dragging twin 95's around, and diving mixed gas with OC is no easy task. If anyone has suggestions for training, please let me know.

Craig

Dive Junkie Husker diver will become famous soon enough Husker diver will become famous soon enough Husker diver will become famous soon enough Husker diver's Avatar
    Inspo w/Deep Pursuit head:)

Re: Hello from northern Illinois (Marengo)

I have a dive buddy who is an AP dealer/trainer and a first rate diver down in St Louis area. His website is http://sharkys-ue.com.

RBW Member mike2854 is an unknown quantity at this point mike2854's Avatar

Hello from northern Illinois (Marengo)

Greg such out of Two Rivers Wisconsin is an excellent prism 2 instructor.

His company is Shipwreck Adventures.

Chett Lehrer Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L's Avatar
    rEvo FT / Hollis P-2/ rEvo lll

Prism Topaz-1 / rEvo ll

Hi Craig,

Nice to meet you on RBW.

Best regards,
    Chett. L

RBW Member Smithmoore is an unknown quantity at this point Smithmoore's Avatar

I would agree Greg is a very good instructor. Another Prism 2 instructor is Larry Babcock out of Evansville IN I used him.

Reads fine print (mostly) Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather's Avatar
    MEGALODON MK15.5

BMR500 IDA71 IDA64 RGUFM AKA60

Since local wreck diving is mostly done around here (I'm not far from you, just a bit NE of Harmilda ) for the season, you've got the time to make thought out choices. Over the past 15 years I've had the good fortune to dive a large number of the Lake Michigan west side wrecks on various CCRs. First and foremost, you want a rig that's ROBUST and will take the beatings it will see and not miss a beat. More and more rigs are being displayed at both Ghost Ships and OWU. Ask plenty of questions while reserving judgement. Don't be overly influenced by the 'flavor of the month' popularity of any particular rig- it might not be the best for YOU and your type of diving.

Another instructor you might want to check out is Ron Benson. He's out of the Minneapolis area but also teaches from Milwaukee as well.

silentexplorers.com

Do you know what unit your interested in?

Rob teaches the JJ-CCR
    Greg teaches the Hollis RBs
    Becky Kagen has been visiting the GL and teaches the Meg
    Tammy teaches a lot of Kiss divers

They're all excellent instructors, do a little research and maybe a few calls to see who you click with. If you're interested in the JJ, I'd be happy to share some insight over a beer.

Dan

tha never no's Barnsleyman has a spectacular aura about Barnsleyman has a spectacular aura about Barnsleyman has a spectacular aura about Barnsleyman has a spectacular aura about Barnsleyman has a spectacular aura about Barnsleyman's Avatar
    Inspiration Vision

Smile Re: Hello from northern Illinois (Marengo)

HI mate

Good move - CCR is also much warmer than OC so diving in colder water is more comfortable. I dive AP with CO2 detector and the new 2020 vision display. What can I say - it's awesome. Don't know who does the training out your way but don't be put off when you start. I was ready to go back to twins until I did the mixed gas course - now I enjoy OC but love the CCR.
    enjoy

+ Reply to Thread