+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bunaken - Unknown gem?

RBW Member Gl1tchie is an unknown quantity at this point Gl1tchie's Avatar
    JJ

Bunaken - Unknown gem?

Firstly, I posted this earlier today but it never actually posted to the forum for some reason, so if for some reason there turns out to be a double up, my apologies!

My partner and I just returned from 2 weeks diving just out of Manado, Indonesia.
    We spent a week on Bunaken Island and a week on Lembeh Island with Two Fish Divers.

I want to share with as many people as possible what we found on Bunaken because I believe people on this forum will really benefit from a place that seems to be maybe a bit unknown.

When we arrived in Bunaken it had not rained for months and when we rolled off the boat for our first dive to 50m I looked up from depth and could see the surface. I was absolutely blown away, I have never experienced visibility like it.

Bunaken is a deep wall paradise. My partner and I limited our depth to 50m and on most dives the wall continued down further. Some dives I would guess the wall ended at about 80m. From there the bottom slopes down a bit further (maybe 10m - 20m deeper depending on the site) and then it abruptly falls away again in to deep black water that goes to who knows how deep.

I asked our tec guide a few questions,
    He can only guide on OC so obviously you CCR junkies are going to be down there a lot longer than him. BUT, he said as long as you have a buddy you can go and do what ever you like. He can tell you where to go and support the dive from the surface or from half way up or what ever you like. And obviously they provide the boat/crew. Two Fish can provide O2, He, Sorb. You need to let them know a few months in advance if you want helium however, as it can sometimes take a while for them to recieve a delivery. (That is, if they dont already have some on site)

Anyway, if you are looking for a place to go tec diving in Indo, check out Two Fish in Bunaken, seriously amasing walls as deep as you like. It blew my expectations away and I thought everyone should know about this place.

If you want pics or videos from my trip there let me know,
    Cheers,
    Dan

RBW Member exposure is an unknown quantity at this point exposure's Avatar
    APD Evolution+

Re: Bunaken - Unknown gem?

As I remember Nigel (the Owner) is diving a Meg :)

RBW Member carlosfredericobastos is an unknown quantity at this point carlosfredericobastos's Avatar
    REVO III mini Hybrid

hi Dan,

how was the diving itself? my son and i are planning to go to bunaken next july for a total of 8 diving days.

have you by any chance heard anything about bangka island ccr support?

do you have any suggestions for a nice, air-conditioned hotel or resort on bunaken island?

thanks a lot
    cheers, fred

RBW Member Gl1tchie is an unknown quantity at this point Gl1tchie's Avatar
    JJ

Quote Originally Posted by carlosfredericobastos  View Original Post
    hi Dan,

how was the diving itself? my son and i are planning to go to bunaken next july for a total of 8 diving days.

have you by any chance heard anything about bangka island ccr support?

do you have any suggestions for a nice, air-conditioned hotel or resort on bunaken island?

thanks a lot
    cheers, fred
    Hi Fred,
    Sorry for the late reply.
    You've probably made your plans already but for the benefit of everyone I'll answer anyway.

To my knowledge there are no resorts on Bunaken. Its a bit simple for that. There is limited stable power. We had no air con in our "villas" but that was OK because during the day we were in the water and during the night it cools down enough to sleep with just a fan running.
    Check out the Trip Advisor reviews. Mine is titled "Deep Wall Paradise"
    https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel..._Sulawesi.html

I haven't looked in to Bangka Island so sorry I can't help you there.

Hope your trip goes well,
    Dan

+ Reply to Thread