+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ratio-Computers iDive CCR computer DEMA 2015

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

Re: Ratio-Computers iDive CCR computer DEMA 2015

Quote Originally Posted by dunny  View Original Post
    85/90...ballsy!
    Not really, we don't have enough info to say that.
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

RBW Member DragonZA is an unknown quantity at this point DragonZA's Avatar
    Poseidon mk VI

Hi all. Im in process of getting my RB certification on the Poseidon MK6, and while looking for backup computer options came across the iDive Reb, however finding a price or anyone who sells it seems to be quite challenging.

Any thoughts on the suitability of this unit as a backup? My plan is to be doing <30m NDL dives on the unit for the first 100 hours or so until I am (as) comfortable with it (as I'm ever going to be)

My thinking was to run the backup as an air OC computer, so in the event of unit failure and bailout to OC I should have an extra level of conservatism built in?

Thanks in advance for any help

Owner
    PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis's Avatar
    Revo,Optima, Prism, Meg, Pos 7

Kiss,Evo, Sentinel,Pathfinder,

Running an independent backup computer, separate from the onboard is something I highly recommend. However, your considerations for your approach may not be taking into account the entire picture.

Making sure your algorithm, BO considerations, etc. are in-line with the rest of your CCR system are key. Much of this information is not something you will get from a recreational rebreather instructor.

My advise to you is to hold off until you get to the advanced level that require appropriate considerations and get that kind of information from a truly experienced CCR Trimix Instructor with years of experience teaching at that level.

Poseidon mk VI

Ok, if I am not going to do any deco dives for the next year or so how would you recommend I approach the backup computer issue? I will probably never end up going to trimix as my diving requirements are mostly for coral and fish viewing / collection so there's little benefit to be gained as far as I can see from going deep.

My thinking was that if i use a pure air OC computer then if i ended the dive on the most limiting computer I would lose out on a fair amount of NDL bottom time, negating some of the advantages of a CCR. If i got a CCR capable computer and then set the set point in such a way that it resembled the MK6 operations but more limiting then I would have a good indication of when its time to get out, without losing quite as much time. This would seem to me to provide some of the redundancy that the single-handset RB is lacking. If the main unit dies, bail to OC and follow the other computer up. In normal operations the first one that beeps calls the dive.

I know I am missing parts of the big picture but if you could help me see where then I can get to the point where I know what i don't know :roll eyes:

BTW just finished watching all the AddHelium Youtube channel, that Pit series is amazingly shot, can't imagine the headaches you've faced logistically and personally to keep going there. Cant wait for the next episode!

RBW Member AQUANOMAD is an unknown quantity at this point AQUANOMAD's Avatar
    rEvo FT

Inspiration, Evolution

What kind of coral and fish are you collecting?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Poseidon mk VI

Im a Marine Reef tank keeper so the corals go into my own system and other hobbyists until grown enough to relocate.

We have massive bleaching problems here in the Gulf so we have taken to collecting frags of some of the unique species here and propagating in our tanks while they can still be collected. Nothing endangered and several of us are doing a reef culture project so we are moving them to safe locations like witness protection ;)

Also there are some stunning clownfish here with their attendant HUGE bubble tip anemones, I have a breeding setup ... set up and hoping to be able to replace wild caught with tank bred for the hobby regionally.

To answer your question, several species of encrusting montipora, there are a few species of local acropora that aren't very flashy at all but still need some rescuing and several varieties of goniopora and gorgonia that i haven't seen elsewhere

Also zoas but none of them are in any remote kind of danger so we tend to neglect them a bit

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

You can get probably close enough with an o/c computer with a few gasses by setting them to TMX / EANx that has the right amount of helium and approximates the same PPO2 for various stages on your dive, then chop and change throughout. And give yourself generous safety stops. But it's a kludge.

To be properly useful, the backup needs to be a ccr unit (ie know about setpoints). Either with the same algorithm and settings eg buhlmann zhl-16c with gradient factors set the same, or a different algo/settings and you prepared to follow the slower of the two computers.

This computer, like any other that supports setpoints, would do the job. But it's awfully expensive for something that's only running a backup for you...

RBW Member Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1's Avatar
    ybod

Quote Originally Posted by DragonZA  View Original Post
    Ok, if I am not going to do any deco dives for the next year or so how would you recommend I approach the backup computer issue? I will probably never end up going to trimix as my diving requirements are mostly for coral and fish viewing / collection so there's little benefit to be gained as far as I can see from going deep.

My thinking was that if i use a pure air OC computer then if i ended the dive on the most limiting computer I would lose out on a fair amount of NDL bottom time, negating some of the advantages of a CCR. If i got a CCR capable computer and then set the set point in such a way that it resembled the MK6 operations but more limiting then I would have a good indication of when its time to get out, without losing quite as much time. This would seem to me to provide some of the redundancy that the single-handset RB is lacking. If the main unit dies, bail to OC and follow the other computer up. In normal operations the first one that beeps calls the dive.

I know I am missing parts of the big picture but if you could help me see where then I can get to the point where I know what i don't know :roll eyes:

BTW just finished watching all the AddHelium Youtube channel, that Pit series is amazingly shot, can't imagine the headaches you've faced logistically and personally to keep going there. Cant wait for the next episode!

old vr3 cost feek all , OR a 3 gas nitrox /100% computer ,
    timer and a set of printed tables ,

Last edited by Gobfish1; 20th December 2015 at 22:33.

Poseidon mk VI

Morning guys, thanks so much for the inputs. Ive seen a couple of decently priced Suunto DX coming up on the Bay recently, will check on the VR3 prices as well, couldn't find any for sale yesterday but Ill keep looking.

Since Ill only be using air diluent and no deco for a LOOOONG time, I suppose an OC air computer set at a very low conservancy shouldn't penalise me too much. Also, I can pop a transmitter on my bailout and then once I bailout the backup will be up to date on contents, duration etc etc.

I have an old Oceanic Atom that I will send in for repair / service, with any luck that will do until I can get a final product. Part of me still thinks I may end up diving deeper and going to Trimix at some later stage so something that could be added to another CCR later might be useful. Like the Petrel Ext for example or any of the computers with a Fischer connector
    I hate to buy stuff and then have to rebuy later
    And the MK6 doesn't count, that was WAY too good a deal to pass up

RBW Member Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1's Avatar
    ybod

Quote Originally Posted by DragonZA  View Original Post
    Morning guys, thanks so much for the inputs. Ive seen a couple of decently priced Suunto DX coming up on the Bay recently, will check on the VR3 prices as well, couldn't find any for sale yesterday but Ill keep looking.

Since Ill only be using air diluent and no deco for a LOOOONG time, I suppose an OC air computer set at a very low conservancy shouldn't penalise me too much. Also, I can pop a transmitter on my bailout and then once I bailout the backup will be up to date on contents, duration etc etc.

I have an old Oceanic Atom that I will send in for repair / service, with any luck that will do until I can get a final product. Part of me still thinks I may end up diving deeper and going to Trimix at some later stage so something that could be added to another CCR later might be useful. Like the Petrel Ext for example or any of the computers with a Fischer connector
    I hate to buy stuff and then have to rebuy later
    And the MK6 doesn't count, that was WAY too good a deal to pass up
    AIR dill . will be feeding you nitrox , so you need a nitrox computer if you want to get in the ball park ,

id run with a cylinder of nitrox with a max ppo2 of 1.4 . run unit at 1.2 . and stick a reg on that in board o2 ,

get a desk top planner and play , forget Air

ps
    transmitter

ist just going to tell you your going to run out of gas , when you switch, you need to know b4 hand what will be needed , not after the feek up ,

unit has Controlling Resource Algorithm (CRA , so will tell you that its time to feek off home , lol
    Last edited by Gobfish1; 21st December 2015 at 13:30.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast