+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ratio-Computers iDive CCR computer DEMA 2015

Not Admin Mr_C is a splendid one to behold Mr_C is a splendid one to behold Mr_C is a splendid one to behold Mr_C is a splendid one to behold Mr_C is a splendid one to behold Mr_C is a splendid one to behold Mr_C is a splendid one to behold Mr_C is a splendid one to behold Mr_C is a splendid one to behold Mr_C is a splendid one to behold Mr_C is a splendid one to behold Mr_C's Avatar
    rEvo Micro III

rEvo Mini III, Optima

Ratio-Computers iDive CCR computer DEMA 2015

Another computer from Ratio-Computers. Smaller with full CCR capability.

Down to no good kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter's Avatar
    JJ, Flex

rEvo III, Optima, GEM

Re: Ratio-Computers iDive CCR computer DEMA 2015

Ok, I will admit it is the epitome of cool to incorporate a magnetometer and a pedometer into a dive computer. But usefulness, quality and durability remain to be seen. Definitely something to watch.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    Just remember that listening to an idiot such as myself may very well get your arse dead.

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

A tilt compensated compass needs gyros to do the compensation. Most MEMS gyros are implemented as three (for 3 axes) pairs of accelerometers and the compass is, of course, a magnetometer.

Some of us may have heard the term "scope creep" before, it's the phenomenon whereby a project's requirements have a tendency to grow and grow during the development of the project as the client gets their creative juices flowing and comes up with more ideas about what the customer definitely needs/wants and will pay for.

These computers are an example of "scope explosion".

It looks like they've over-budgeted the processor, got basic dive computer functionality running, then the software guys have gone "Wow, we haven't used half of the room available, what gumph can we fill it up with?"

The sensors required to do stuff we want (pressure, compass) have been flogged out in software to cover every thing possible to do with those sensors. And IIRC they've thrown a GPS module in there as well. Why not, they're cheap (even if not particularly effective past a couple of metres underwater).

It's the "Everything AND the kitchen sink" computer.

I like gadgets and got in touch to find out if they did a CCR controller variant, and get some pricing availability information.

Good luck to them. Especially in Australia, when their chosen distributor (Aquanaut) won't even bother responding to emails and, I'm sure, will inject such a margin for themselves that they continue to encourage grey market imports of dive gear for Australians for years to come.

Owner
    PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis's Avatar
    Revo,Optima, Prism, Meg, Pos 7

Kiss,Evo, Sentinel,Pathfinder,

Ken, I agree service and durability is what needs to be defined.

As for the other gentlemen regarding "scope creep". If you talked to the designers and engineer's of this product, many of the features came from their relationship with the military and it spilled over into some neat toys for us civilians. I agree, it may be more than we need, but who can possibly have enough toys when you are a serious diver? Clearly, not for everyone, but some people will like it for sure. I look forward to seeing more from these guys. :)

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Like I said, Peter: I like gadgets. :)

RBW Member dreamdive has disabled reputation dreamdive's Avatar
    Pathfinder, rEvo, Explorer

Meg, PrismII, Titan, Optima, 7

Thank God for advances!Or else we are still doing the Assyrian Style. Surely, that was called a "gadget" in their time.

images.jpeg

RBW Member gabrielesub will become famous soon enough gabrielesub will become famous soon enough gabrielesub will become famous soon enough gabrielesub will become famous soon enough gabrielesub's Avatar
    Vision

Classic, dolphin, azimuth, ray

I just got back home last night from my trip to Florida (for some ocean diving, cave diving and DEMA show);
    This morning, even if I was jet legged I wanted to go diving ... (It was already 12 days since my last dive).
    I dove as usual my Ratio ix3m, on OC since my Reb was still in the luggage...
    This dive computer has a lot of built in features... From dive planner to GPS (to help u to go to the dive site), all the required tools during the dive, the blender software and more...
    Many things ... Pretty much ALL of them are VERY useful ... It is a matter of knowing how to use it ... Or ... Simply DO NOT use it! (The user can also UNInstall the application he does not need...... But no reason to Do it)...
    A dive computer may have 10 functions or 100functions: what is important is that it works! Reliability and stability of the software are paramount...
    So far it is doing great!
    This is 2015 technology ... SOFTWARE and hardware are running fast... What was impossible (or difficult to obtain) 2 years ago is now available a cheaper price...
    Is life... And I enjoy it! :)
    Other brands are already introducing similar 'all in one' tools .... They are just late compared to RATIO, who is probably fixing some new standard in Dive computer technology ....
    Attached Images

Hammerhead CCR diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike's Avatar
    HammerHead CCR

Sidekick & Others

I spent about 20 minutes looking at it while in FL. Lots of great innovative things.

The only thing that needs to get sorted is that this is "digital" versus "analog" like most other computers on the market today. They have analog adapter in the works that will need to go between your cells and the computer that is in the works. That means that you can not simply plug a fischer connector into it. (Not saying that you would want to) or wire a cable to an isolated splice off of your cells. I will be very interested to take a look at it again once they get a production quality adapter made.

M

AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Pros and cons with that.

The Shearwater style of setup, with the setpoint controller and cell monitor in the breather and the handset(s) talking to it, is nice from the plug and play perspective when tinkering with kit and it does keep the unit running if the handset cable (a weak point on all systems) fails.

On the other hand, a computer with analogue signals and a solenoid line is stupidly easy to integrate into a home-build or retro fit and that simplicity is something to be treasured.

Was it VR Tech who had the optical pod add-on for their computers? Same kinda deal as what they're talking about here, I guess - it may have advantages but it's still added complexity, another component that needs to be purchased and another step in the path that can fail.

RBW Member dunny is an unknown quantity at this point dunny's Avatar
    JJ

Quote Originally Posted by gabrielesub  View Original Post
    I just got back home last night from my trip to Florida (for some ocean diving, cave diving and DEMA show);
    This morning, even if I was jet legged I wanted to go diving ... (It was already 12 days since my last dive).
    I dove as usual my Ratio ix3m, on OC since my Reb was still in the luggage...
    This dive computer has a lot of built in features... From dive planner to GPS (to help u to go to the dive site), all the required tools during the dive, the blender software and more...
    Many things ... Pretty much ALL of them are VERY useful ... It is a matter of knowing how to use it ... Or ... Simply DO NOT use it! (The user can also UNInstall the application he does not need...... But no reason to Do it)...
    A dive computer may have 10 functions or 100functions: what is important is that it works! Reliability and stability of the software are paramount...
    So far it is doing great!
    This is 2015 technology ... SOFTWARE and hardware are running fast... What was impossible (or difficult to obtain) 2 years ago is now available a cheaper price...
    Is life... And I enjoy it! :)
    Other brands are already introducing similar 'all in one' tools .... They are just late compared to RATIO, who is probably fixing some new standard in Dive computer technology ....
    85/90...ballsy!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast