+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: About gas direction...

RBW Member Alkermes has a spectacular aura about Alkermes has a spectacular aura about Alkermes has a spectacular aura about Alkermes has a spectacular aura about Alkermes has a spectacular aura about Alkermes's Avatar

About gas direction...

I know that normal gas direction on Radial Scrubbers is from outside to inside, but what happen if you invert gas direction from inside to outside?. Are the performance and durability of Sorb modified/reduced?.

Regards, Alkermes.

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

Re: About gas direction...

Quote Originally Posted by Alkermes  View Original Post
    I know that normal gas direction on Radial Scrubbers is from outside to inside, but what happen if you invert gas direction from inside to outside?. Are the performance and durability of Sorb modified/reduced?.

Regards, Alkermes.
    Like in the PRISM?
    Don't know the answer but interested in hearing replies.
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

J missionmtb is an unknown quantity at this point missionmtb's Avatar
    Se7en

mkVI

Same question for axial?

If you were to say flip your mushroom valves and swap sides for your counterlungs. This would reverse the order that everything sees the loop gas...

Consequently the head would see the exhaled gas (and any water) first, rather than last...

-J

RBW Member madmosche is an unknown quantity at this point madmosche's Avatar
    Prism2, Explorer

The Prism does have inside-to-outside flow through a 6 lb radial scrubber. It is rated for 245 mins duration, but I might know some people who have greatly exceeded this (not me of course).

Also it has the best WOB among tested units so scrubber flow might factor in.

RBW Member dreamdive has disabled reputation dreamdive's Avatar
    Pathfinder, rEvo, Explorer

Meg, PrismII, Titan, Optima, 7

Quote Originally Posted by madmosche  View Original Post

Also it has the best WOB among tested units so scrubber flow might factor in.
    Ahhhhh, are you sure about that? What units have you compared it to?

Down to no good kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter's Avatar
    JJ, Flex

rEvo III, Optima, GEM

Regards, Alkermes.
    No such thing as "normal". I collected info in a thread I started on another forum regarding direction of flow as well as radial scrubbers. Results from the last postings are as follows:

Radial Scrubbers Out to In
    Hammerhead
    Meg
    CIS Mk5p
    JJ

Radial Scrubbers In to Out
    Prism
    Boris

Radial Scrubbers Split (one inside to outside and the other outside to inside)
    Aurora Blue
    rEvo
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    Just remember that listening to an idiot such as myself may very well get your arse dead.

RBW Member Alkermes has a spectacular aura about Alkermes has a spectacular aura about Alkermes has a spectacular aura about Alkermes has a spectacular aura about Alkermes has a spectacular aura about Alkermes's Avatar

Then change gas direction is not problem really. The problem will be if flooded, because water go directly to center of Radial Scrubber first, not to water trap, right?.

RBW Member Paul S is on a distinguished road Paul S is on a distinguished road Paul S's Avatar
    rEvo III Mini hCCR

Completely untested hypothesis follows (i.e. I have nothing to base this on):

Going from inside to outside means you encounter a much smaller surface area at the entry to the scrubber. This will make the active region go deeper into the scrubber. As you carry on through the area gets greater / region will become shallower, but your buffer zone to the far edge is also shallower than it would have been going the other way. As breakthrough occurs when a single point of the active region hits the far side, I'd think chances of breakthrough are now slightly higher.

That said, my gut feeling is that it would be easier to get uniform gas flow in->out rather than out->in, and this is probably a far more important aspect.

Once again, this is all uneducated ramblings. These are the sorts of questions for people with testing machines.

RBW Member Paul S is on a distinguished road Paul S is on a distinguished road Paul S's Avatar
    rEvo III Mini hCCR

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    Radial Scrubbers Split (one inside to outside and the other outside to inside)
    rEvo
    I seriously doubt that. You couldn't cycle. You'd be moving a scrubber from running one direction to the other.

Down to no good kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter's Avatar
    JJ, Flex

rEvo III, Optima, GEM

Quote Originally Posted by Paul S  View Original Post
    I seriously doubt that. You couldn't cycle. You'd be moving a scrubber from running one direction to the other.
    I have no reason to doubt. It was reported this way by the manufacturers. If you want to doubt that they know what they are doing, be my guest.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    Just remember that listening to an idiot such as myself may very well get your arse dead.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast