+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: European Tank Valve Threads

RBW Member Capt Morgan is an unknown quantity at this point Capt Morgan's Avatar
    KISS Classic

Re: European Tank Valve Threads

Quote Originally Posted by txdiver  View Original Post
    Awesome info and clarification - thank you everybody very much!!!

So all neck threads are M25/2. Correct?
    There is 2 types of DIN reg threads: G5/8 and M26/3(?) - the later which is not too common and designated for higher O2 usage.

So now my next question is based on the fact that my buddy and I are joining a trip in Denmark in the fall next year. We are currently sourcing tanks for our DIR Megs (very similar to the GUE-JJ configuration). We know what we can work with - courtesy of the BtS catalogue - but just have to make sure that the European Lola valves we are about to buy, will accept our Apeks DS4 DIN regs. Here in the states DIN is DIN and no difference in thread pitch or diameter - only in the length: 7 threads for 200bar DIN and 9 threads for 300bar DIN. So the question is: is the G5/8 just a lower pressure designation and not higher O2 content designation vs. M26 but the share the same diameter, pitch and thread count?

Sorry this is a bit confusing to us non-metric folks.

I really appreciate all your help.

Andy

Upon re-reading it: I wanna make sure that we rent tanks with M25/2 necks threads and G5/8 300DIN reg threads to accommodate our US DIN regs. M26 is too exotic ...

I think you have it though as far as I know 300 bar have 7 threads and 232 bar have 5.
    The only thing you need to worry about is the bit I put in bold and you seem to have that.
    M25x2 is the neck/cylinder thread used in both 232 and 300 bar tanks.

RBW Member txdiver is an unknown quantity at this point txdiver's Avatar
    DIR Meg

Sorry I stand corrected: US 200bar DIN is 5 threads and 300bar is 7 ... I knew there was a difference of 2

RBW Member manxdiver856 is an unknown quantity at this point manxdiver856's Avatar

So all neck threads are M25/2. Correct? No, there are still some cylinders around that have a 3/4bsp neck thread.

There is 2 types of DIN reg threads: G5/8 and M26/3(?) - the later which is not too common and designated for higher O2 usage.

So now my next question is based on the fact that my buddy and I are joining a trip in Denmark in the fall next year. We are currently sourcing tanks for our DIR Megs (very similar to the GUE-JJ configuration). We know what we can work with - courtesy of the BtS catalogue - but just have to make sure that the European Lola valves we are about to buy, will accept our Apeks DS4 DIN regs. Here in the states DIN is DIN and no difference in thread pitch or diameter - only in the length: 7 threads for 200bar DIN and 9 threads for 300bar DIN. So the question is: is the G5/8 just a lower pressure designation and not higher O2 content designation vs. M26 but the share the same diameter, pitch and thread count?

Sorry this is a bit confusing to us non-metric folks.

I really appreciate all your help.

Andy

Upon re-reading it: I wanna make sure that we rent tanks with M25/2 necks threads and G5/8 300DIN reg threads to accommodate our US DIN regs. M26 is too exotic ...[/QUOTE]

RBW Member Capt Morgan is an unknown quantity at this point Capt Morgan's Avatar
    KISS Classic

Given that he is getting his information from the BtS catalogue I'd say
    he's got a good chance of getting an M25x2 thread.
    I don't know if any 3/4 thread diving cylinders being made in at least 20 years.

DIR Meg

Again many thanks Cpt Morgan. We use 3/4 - 14 threads in the States and we have those valves. Given that the 7L and 8.5L bottles are new tanks I will put my money on M25/2s.

Now the crux ONLY is to source them in Denmark

Andy

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Yep, same in Australia.

Cylinders brought in from Europe have issues because (like the US) we require burst discs so the first thing to get chucked are the valves. Then the fun begins because we can only easily source the 3/4 neck thread valves here.

Worse, with a bit of a heave they will fit the Euro cylinder necks and seal, right up to the point where you've gone through a few fill cycles then, very suddenly, they don't.

RBW Member BlondeBimbo is an unknown quantity at this point BlondeBimbo's Avatar
    imagination & dream

Double post
    Last edited by BlondeBimbo; 6th November 2015 at 07:50. Reason: Double post!!!

RBW Member BlondeBimbo is an unknown quantity at this point BlondeBimbo's Avatar
    imagination & dream

Quote Originally Posted by txdiver  View Original Post

Now the crux ONLY is to source them in Denmark

Andy
    Denmark is within the EU, therefore any cylinders bought or used there need to be manufactured to the PED (pressure equipment directive) which is a requirement over the whole of the EU.

It also means that you can buy from any member state and it is suitable, so you can buy the lola valves (€75 each) and the 7 litre cylinders (€101) all with M25x2 cylinder thread from anywhere in the EU and have them delivered directly to your dive centre/base in Denmark with no import/export duties

imagination & dream

Forgot to mention, if you are really worried about the oxygen cylinder having to have the M26 fitting you can always just rent a standard cylinder/valve combination as used in Denmark and use a M26 DIN to g5/8 DIN adapter - which are about £14 in the UK. If you get the 200bar female g5/8 to 300bar male M26 type, then both 200 and 300 bar regulators will fit, and it will fit both 200 and 300 bar M26 valves.

You would NOT use M26 for diluent.

Bailout would be std DIN, but your deco may be M26 - so again use another m26-5/8 adapter

In practice almost everywhere sticks to standard DIN g5/8 200 or 300 bar.

DIR Meg

Blonde Bimbo - Europe sure seems to make it complicated

We were actually hoping to rent the tanks. We currently see little value in owning them unless we know where to keep them and regularly return to dive them ... it is a last resort though ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast