+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What do you hate/love about your GEM?

RBW Member olphart is an unknown quantity at this point olphart's Avatar

What do you hate/love about your GEM?

I've been looking at joining the dark side for a while now and decided that for my missions, rec depths, longer bottom time than single OC, the GEM seems to fill the bill. It's simple, light weight, and inexpensive to own/operate, at least from anything I've read so far.
    I already dive SM doubles in cold deepish water, and those suckers are getting heavier every year. My SAC is no hell any more either.

All that being said, I've often found that asking the "what do you hate/love" question has been pretty informative.
    So, for those of you who own, or have owned GEMs, what do you love/hate about them?

Down to no good kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter's Avatar
    JJ, Flex

rEvo III, Optima, GEM

Re: What do you hate/love about your GEM?

I love the simplicity, ease of setup and low maintenance. I love that I could take it places where O2 is scarce but nitrox is available. I love that it uses EAC scrubber cartridges, but I hate the cost of them. I love that KISS came up with a packable sorb option, but I really, really hate that ridiculous cost. And having gotten used to back mount lungs on my JJ and rEvo, I'm not crazy about the front CLs on the GEM, but it's not a bad compromise if SCR is the right tool. I just haven't had a reason to use mine in quite a while with several CCRs at my disposal.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    Just remember that listening to an idiot such as myself may very well get your arse dead.

Fake Diver Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack's Avatar
    Meg

KISS

Only thing on my GEM I didnt like was the extremely long loop hose.

But nothing about the unit I hated, except the extendair cartridges, which was fixed with the user packable scrubber.

I am still very surprised today that the GEM doesnt have a huge following in the recreational market. Especially given what people are playing for the Explorer.

I'd take a GEM over an Explorer any day of the week. I dove the hell of out of my GEM for a year (almost 150 dives). Its easy to setup, easy to dive, rock solid.

Yea, I'm still a fanboy.

Chett Lehrer Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L's Avatar
    rEvo FT / Hollis P-2/ rEvo lll

Prism Topaz-1 / rEvo ll

Quote Originally Posted by olphart  View Original Post
    I've been looking at joining the dark side for a while now and decided that for my missions, rec depths, longer bottom time than single OC, the GEM seems to fill the bill. It's simple, light weight, and inexpensive to own/operate, at least from anything I've read so far.
    I already dive SM doubles in cold deepish water, and those suckers are getting heavier every year. My SAC is no hell any more either.

All that being said, I've often found that asking the "what do you hate/love" question has been pretty informative.
    So, for those of you who own, or have owned GEMs, what do you love/hate about them?

This is an interesting post. Thank you.

Best regards,
    Chett. L

RBW Member crpntr133 is an unknown quantity at this point crpntr133's Avatar

It sounds like you are doing about the same diving that I do on mine. I have been thinking about a bit of deco but still working up to it.

With only a dozen or so dives on mine. I would have to agree with everything that the others have posted. No deal killers and with a bit of thinking the small stuff can be worked around.

Several of my friends dive CCR and it takes them forever to clean and repack, etc. I'm done, at the bar having a drink and they are still cleaning. The GEM and everything minus tank fits in a Plano tote that I picked up. If I wanted to travel with it that way I'm sure it would make it.

Personally, don't waste your time and money on the Jetsam display. Buy the Shearwater and don't look back. I bought my unit used and it had the Jetsam. I thought I wouldn't mind it but it is truly about worthless too me. I ended up doing a DIY project. I posted how I converted it and saved some money.
    Another thing that I changed was the length of the inflator on my wing. It kept getting lost in between the loop hose. I changed it out to a 16" and it cured that.

The only thing that I would say negative about the GEM is that some parts are expensive. I know tech diving is expensive but RB bumped it up a notch. The one thing that I passed on for a save a dive kit were the two clips that hold the loop to the mouth piece..$55 for the pair. I even checked with KISS and Kim confirmed that they are $55 for the pair. Everything else was doable.

I took my class with Doug Ebersole (he's on RBW) and was pleased. TDI's list of instructors was pretty much worthless at that time. Several that I contacted weren't GEM certified at all.

Fake Diver Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack's Avatar
    Meg

KISS

I converted all those clips to hose clamps.

Otoh,I used a 22 inch inflator, to clear the counter lungs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Pack  View Original Post

I'm talking the two yellow clips. Kiss uses them for a lot of other units. Without a parts list, which is impossible to get, I can't remember the "proper" name.

I've been thinking about changing to hose clamps but haven't done it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Pack  View Original Post

I'm talking the two yellow clips. Kiss uses them for a lot of other units. Without a parts list, which is almost impossible to get, I can't remember the "proper" name.

I've been thinking about changing to hose clamps but haven't done it.

Meg

KISS

Ah yes, those c clips

+ Reply to Thread