Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: flex v joki v side kick

RBW Member kurek19 is an unknown quantity at this point kurek19's Avatar
    rEvo/mccr voyager/meg/sm homeb

Re: flex v joki v side kick

12248199_838873016210108_4098555640338939381_o.jpg
    New fancy home build rig from Poland Machined by Piechocki
    Jarek

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by kurek19  View Original Post
    Attachment 39835
    New fancy home build rig from Poland Machined by Piechocki
    Jarek
    More details and pictures please.
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

RBW Member dspe is an unknown quantity at this point dspe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by atedeschi  View Original Post
    I should have clarified I still care some OC bailout. I carry a LP45 overfilled which gives me about 8 min at 250' with a elevated SAC rate. I full blown CO hit I can't handle and from the sounds of it even what I carried for OC bailout wouldn't either and I typically carry more then most for BO gas.

My thought process is following the proper build, post build, predive and post dive checks of the unit will help minimize the chance for a CO issue.
    Thats ok at that depth but look how long it Will last at 160 m you will still need a lot of gas + the Bob for me it works for long penitration but combine that with depth you have to be sure it works 😬 2 side mounts or 2 back mounts seem to work as we have good examples but a back mount with a side mount im not set convinced ,i would still like to know why they havent taken bobs to the pit i would have thought them ideal ??

Jst anothr Breather Diver Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius's Avatar
    rEvo III rms

Inspo HH + classic Dolphin Ray

My thought process is following the proper build, post build, predive and post dive checks of the unit will help minimize the chance for a CO issue.
    Sure does..
    But I did all that and still had one.. Luckily quite shallow, but the aftermath on SAC was an eyeopener..
    Hence also my sceptisism againt BOB only..
    And then it still remains the same.. If you cover for CO2 properly.. BOB almost makes no sense anymore as you already carry loads of OC BO..

Would be really interesting to see some testing at really elevated SAC rates by the manufacturers, but then with BoBs and SM Breathers being such a niche in a niche, probably not gonna happen..
    The only one I could see is Paul Raymakers, but then there is certaintly not gonna be a SM conversion on the rEvo ..

RBW Member atedeschi is an unknown quantity at this point atedeschi's Avatar
    Kiss Classic & Sidekick CCR

revo Hybrid, Golem Flex

Curious how bad was the hit and how much gas did you go thru before getting your breathing under control or how long did it take to get it under control. What was you cause of the CO?

Andy Pitkin apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin's Avatar
    Prism 1

various

Another aspect that usually seems to be ignored with sidemount rebreathers is the issue of flood tolerance.

I do not own a Sidekick but I know of more than one caustic cocktail that has occurred due to water in the loop, unknown to the diver.

I was never unlucky enough to get a significant amount of water in the Joki, so I cannot comment on its flood tolerance, but I have completed over 90 minutes of deco on the Flex with the scrubber 1/3 full of water with no problems.

Looking at the design of the units you can see why this might be the case.

Just another thing to think about. There is no perfect side mount rebreather. In fact, diving a sidemount rebreather sucks! The only reason for doing it is that sometimes it is far and away the best tool for the job.

Andy

Jst anothr Breather Diver Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius's Avatar
    rEvo III rms

Inspo HH + classic Dolphin Ray

Curious how bad was the hit and how much gas did you go thru before getting your breathing under control or how long did it take to get it under control. What was you cause of the CO?

To get back halfway under control was about 3 minutes. after that I had stabilized at 20 m (60') and switched to my 50%, so the BO Gas Volume during that 3 min was very good determinable.
    the aftermath showed an average of SAC=70l/min ! so 2,5 cft/min at surface! This translates in quite some gas consumption at a 100m dive.. an 80 cft stage will be gone during this short recovery period..
    After that I had a roughly 1,5 times SAC for app. 20 min..
    these are the values I use for my BO planning..

For using a BoB I probably would go and take one separate deep gas 80 for CO2 purposes and the remainder BoB but I am still a bit skeptical..

What had caused it? undetermined.. Breather was working fine at surface.. It was on an Inspo so might have been one of the scrubber Oring bypass issues..
    It is also a poissibility that I am a heavy CO2 retainer as I was working quite heavy..
    or a combination of both..
    Last edited by Nitrogenius; 18th November 2015 at 13:41.

RBW Member Kevin Leonhardt is an unknown quantity at this point Kevin Leonhardt's Avatar
    KISS Sidekick

Quote Originally Posted by apitkin  View Original Post
    Just another thing to think about. There is no perfect side mount rebreather. In fact, diving a sidemount rebreather sucks! The only reason for doing it is that sometimes it is far and away the best tool for the job.

Andy
    Very true. I've committed to finding a way to make them suck less. In time, and with more manufacturers of side mount units entering the market, progress will be made. Though, I don't foresee them ever comparing to back mount units.

I would never encourage anyone to dive a side mount rebreather without an absolute need. It's not like with open circuit where side mount became popular, and is actually a great way to dive even if there is not a need. Side mount rebreathers don't translate in the same manner.

RBW Member atedeschi is an unknown quantity at this point atedeschi's Avatar
    Kiss Classic & Sidekick CCR

revo Hybrid, Golem Flex

See I feel like this is where I differ from y'all i use my Sidemount rebreather for all my diving. I was talking about it to some friends the WOB between other units and diving Sidemount and think I'm probably compensating for units without knowing it because of the comfort in water.

Kevin I tried to get back in touch with you about your voicemail been busy week last week while in Texas I'll try again this week.

Hammerhead CCR diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike's Avatar
    HammerHead CCR

Sidekick & Others

Ant...

My take from diving with you is that you always know how your sidemount will breath in almost any position so you automatically compensate for it. For example with the various CL configs that I use on my HH, simply adjust slightly for the ones that I am diving be it BMCL or OTS. I am looking forward to diving the sidemount cfg that they have come up with for the HH. While the CL cfg is different from anything else that's out there, I can see how it should improve some of the fluctuations in WOB that you typically experience with a sidemount ccr.

Thanks!!!

Mark

See I feel like this is where I differ from y'all i use my Sidemount rebreather for all my diving. I was talking about it to some friends the WOB between other units and diving Sidemount and think I'm probably compensating for units without knowing it because of the comfort in water.

Kevin I tried to get back in touch with you about your voicemail been busy week last week while in Texas I'll try again this week.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast