+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: flex v joki v side kick

Andy Pitkin apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin's Avatar
    Prism 1

various

Re: flex v joki v side kick

Quote Originally Posted by dspe  View Original Post
    The scrubber is the only difference the build is less good agread but i have talked to people who have used them side mount and it breaths ok its like the difference between a ss and a bonex ones faster shinier and more expensive
    I'll be interested to see if you still think that when you have dived both of them a few times.

RBW Member 1Digger is an unknown quantity at this point 1Digger's Avatar
    mini Quantum, 100, Proteus

Hi all,
    I don't want to jack the thread , but I would like to point out there is the Proteus by Dive systems
    http://divesystems.co.uk/
    Choice of 1.4 kg to 2.7 kg scrubbers
    Gas can be on, off or a combination
    Choice of covers
    Stanless steel rods and rings break down to a very compact size making this an ideal travel unit
    Stainless steel part have multipul configurations so it can be used as back mount, side mount and BOB.

RBW Member dspe is an unknown quantity at this point dspe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by apitkin  View Original Post
    I'll be interested to see if you still think that when you have dived both of them a few times.
    How old was your joki they have changed the dsv is now modiffied there are 2 lungs and the adv is a second stage on top of the unit there is a difference in wob between the 2 the scrubber is still axial a bit like the kiss classic agreed that a radial would help.

RBW Member djxnorb is on a distinguished road djxnorb is on a distinguished road djxnorb's Avatar

Hi everybody,
    I dive sidemount rebreathers and now twin ccr (SM + Chest mount rebreathers).
    My first one is a mini Joki (not a classic Joki it is very important, mine look like a Flex) and it work very good in perfect sidemount position. I think the Flex is better for is quality, the scrubber and other pieces (DSV, etc.) because it is not a home made ccr. I know only one disadvantage about the Flex wich is important in dry caving : the weight. For me like the best is the Flex CCR.
    My second ccr is a home made chestmount ccr named Trecon. I have not money to buy a Flex ccr but if I could I'll use one for sure!!
    In conclusion I'll say : buy a Flex if you have money or a mini Joki if not. ;)
    Good dives
    Brice Masi

RBW Member atedeschi is an unknown quantity at this point atedeschi's Avatar
    Kiss Classic & Sidekick CCR

revo Hybrid, Golem Flex

I started with a home build until similar CL position as the Flex. Next I went to the Flex for a year and now been diving a Sidekick for the last 2 years. This past year I used the sidekick as a BOB for all my diving caves and wrecks down to 300+ feet. I did about 6 practice bailouts during real dives some from 250' and no issues.

The flex is a solid built, my only complaints about the build was the CL connections where a pain to get started sometimes and the CL case cover would be very hard to disconnect when you got sand or steel debris in the track.

The reason I got rid of it was because for its size it offered no onboard gas and if you mounted tanks to it you are already increasing the size a large profile unit. Additionally I wanted a unit that I could just clip and unclip at two points like a Sidemount tank.

The sidekick was attractive because of its size and my original idea was to have it with a shpere setup. Instead I mount two 2l steel tanks on the unit which gives me onboard gas and the weight of the unit to keep it from floating up. The construction is solid maybe not as much as the flex but still solid. It builds and break downs fast with no tools.

As a bailout unit I only have one 2l tank on the unit and have the ADV connected to the primary units DIL tank. The adv fires on its on on the way down and on the ascent just roll to the side of the unit press the OPV to vent.

revo Hybrid, Golem Flex

Current plan next year is to run two sidekicks instead of a classic and sidekick

Jst anothr Breather Diver Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius's Avatar
    rEvo III rms

Inspo HH + classic Dolphin Ray

Quote Originally Posted by atedeschi  View Original Post
    I did about 6 practice bailouts during real dives some from 250' and no issues.
    My main concern for a Bail Out Rebreather would be how it holds up and reacts if the primary rebreather had a CO2 issue..
    Bailing onto another rebreather with having an CO2 issue seems to be a horrible thought.
    Are scrubber really gonna withstand the extremely elevated SAC rates and at such rates effectively scrubbing?

This would be the circumstances to be practiced, but that s quite difficult I assume.
    Another option would be to bring enough OC gas for that circumstance but then this makes the use of a BOB quite moot fairly quickly..

How is your stance on this?

Has the OP looked at sf2 (I think mentioned already) and the T-reb which seems to be popular with some polish divers (slaweck packo)

RBW Member rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack's Avatar
    Meg

white arrow also makes some BO units that might be worth looking into. I haven't seen any here in the USA before though.

revo Hybrid, Golem Flex

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrogenius  View Original Post
    My main concern for a Bail Out Rebreather would be how it holds up and reacts if the primary rebreather had a CO2 issue..
    Bailing onto another rebreather with having an CO2 issue seems to be a horrible thought.
    Are scrubber really gonna withstand the extremely elevated SAC rates and at such rates effectively scrubbing?

This would be the circumstances to be practiced, but that s quite difficult I assume.
    Another option would be to bring enough OC gas for that circumstance but then this makes the use of a BOB quite moot fairly quickly..

How is your stance on this?
    I should have clarified I still care some OC bailout. I carry a LP45 overfilled which gives me about 8 min at 250' with a elevated SAC rate. I full blown CO hit I can't handle and from the sounds of it even what I carried for OC bailout wouldn't either and I typically carry more then most for BO gas.

My thought process is following the proper build, post build, predive and post dive checks of the unit will help minimize the chance for a CO issue.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast