+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: flex v joki v side kick

RBW Member Hagberg is an unknown quantity at this point Hagberg's Avatar
    Homebuilt sidemount CCR

Re: flex v joki v side kick

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    How about pics and info on your build???
    Well, my best performing builds were usually the "Home Depot specials", and most people got scared when they saw them. ;) People that are not home-builders seem to think a rebreather has to look really fancy and expensive to have good performance.
    I am working on making my last one less scary-looking by machining most parts myself, so I may post pictures when that is closer to "done".
    Looking back on my previous builds I think I've actually overcomplicated my last/current build and forgot about the basics of what results in good WOB. I may end up going back to an older design soon again.. :D

Andreas

RBW Member michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch's Avatar
    SF2, IDA76, Flex

AH1

Here are a few pictures and description of my Flex BOB

Dimensions:
    Total length of HDPE case 74.5cm
    OD 18.7cm
    ID 16.4cm
    Length with oversized handles +8.5cm
    There is no space inside the Top Plate - Counterlungs - Head Compartment for anything other the the lungs provided - Tanks will not fit.

I mounted my 1.5L 300bar carbon fibre tanks on a 5mm SS bar that slots into the brackets that I attached to the top and bottom HDPE tubes.
    At the top the BOB is attached to the shoulder D ring on my modified SF2 harness. Using a boltsnap on the bottom of the tune to attach it to my hip D ring didn't work out well but attaching an extra D ring to the SF2 tube stand and wrapping the custom bungee strap from that D ring - around the Flex with the tanks positioned up behind my shoulder - to the hip D ring worked out very well.
    The white velcro on the sidemout DSV attaches to the weighted white Velcro Flap on a bungee around my neck.
    I've made a similar attachment for my buddy's neck and rebreather so that I can pass it off with ease during a dive. Buddy has to learn how to use the system too, since it is a completey manual CCR without constant flow - if you ignore it it will kill you, no fittings for external gas, 500g of sheet lead was added to the bottom of the lower tube opposite the tanks. QDs are on the 2 hoses that connect to RB.

Michael20160622_122001.jpg20160622_121944.jpg20160622_122017.jpg20160622_122026.jpg20160622_122053.jpg20160622_122104.jpg20160622_122114.jpg20160622_122130.jpg20160622_122137.jpg20160622_122257.jpg20160622_122318.jpg20160622_122441.jpg
    Last edited by michael-fisch; 22nd June 2016 at 15:51.

RBW Member atedeschi is an unknown quantity at this point atedeschi's Avatar
    Kiss Classic & Sidekick CCR

revo Hybrid, Golem Flex

Why such large tanks? The flex was nice unit solid but I switched to the sidekick, same performance in half the size. Also are you not worried about the carbon tanks getting messed up from the bumping and grinding? What about water getting inside the fibers?

RBW Member michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch's Avatar
    SF2, IDA76, Flex

AH1

the size of the tanks was dictated by having to have enough gas to return to the cave entrance 1.7km away at depths of up to 70M along with the necessary decompression.

Sidemounting the rig places the tanks along my body starting in my left armpit and way under the tobe of the backmounted SF2. A very protected location.

The same problem with any carbon fibre tank, any damage to the epoxyed carbon fibres means you don't ever use it again and have to replace it. Carbon fibre tanks are unique in that they are marked with an expiration date. After that date they are nothing other than expensive junk. What makes them worth the effort and expense is the weight saving. Flex, tanks, mtg bracket, regulators, DSV, 2 button manual add, gas, sofnolime and 500G of weight with half full counterlungs results in a neutrally boyant rebreather. Using steel or alum tanks would end up turning my BOB into a boat anchor.
    Last edited by michael-fisch; 22nd June 2016 at 15:49.

SF2, IDA76, Flex

AH1

I looked at using a Sidekick as a BOB too, and decided against it since I would have had to put it in an oversized plastic or SS tube along with 2 tanks. The 2 Sidekick BOBs that I have seen rigged that way were quite heavy in the water, considerably larger than my Flex, with the counterlungs located slightly above my hip and nothing that I wanted to copy, but I could have saved a fortune if I had gone that route.

Michael

RBW Member le parpaing is an unknown quantity at this point le parpaing's Avatar

What about flooding?
    If I am not mistaken, a flooded joki is lost, a flooded flex can be recovered. What about the sidekick?

Fake Diver Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack's Avatar
    Meg

KISS

sidekick is pretty easy, there's a valve you use to burp or purge.

My SK when I ran it, I kept 2 tanks on right, and SK on left.

RBW Member Inverted_bear is an unknown quantity at this point Inverted_bear's Avatar
    Sidekick, Fathom

Quote Originally Posted by le parpaing  View Original Post
    What about flooding?
    If I am not mistaken, a flooded joki is lost, a flooded flex can be recovered. What about the sidekick?
    OPV is a standard apeks valve, and it's located on the top of the head. You go slightly head down and hold down the adv paddle until the opv pops. It can definitely deal with a minor flood, but it's nowhere near as resilient as a well placed exhale lung on a backmounted unit.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6