+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: flex v joki v side kick

RBW Member dspe is an unknown quantity at this point dspe's Avatar

flex v joki v side kick

im looking to get a bob , and these 3 seem to stand out , i would like to get some feed back from people that dive them,i would like to know if the flex has to be mounted as high as the joki to make it breath well ,the joki is often worn on the sholder,at the moment i have read alot about the kiss ,i like its size ,it seems to be about the same as the joki ,the flex being larger which is a - as is the price.
    cheers Darrell

Jst anothr Breather Diver Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius's Avatar
    rEvo III rms

Inspo HH + classic Dolphin Ray

Re: flex v joki v side kick

why is it that nobody seems to mention the SF2 along those lines anymore..
    Is it because it has been out there longer than the others?

To me this should be considered as well. In fact so far it still is my favorite..
    But that is out of water assessment.. Unfortunately I was not able to dive any of these yet

RBW Master Plumber lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof's Avatar
    Hammerhead

Meg,Prizm,RB80,LARV,MK15,HomeB

Not sure where other units are worn, but you can see the position of the Flex here.

Around timecode 0:10 to 0:15

RBW Member jale is on a distinguished road jale is on a distinguished road jale's Avatar
    Sidekick, Joki, Flex, HH, C96

Hi
    I do dive a Joki and a Flex but none as BOB (not yet :))
    The Joki is indeed better as worn on the shoulder but a few people use it as pure SM.
    On the shoulder, it rides and breathes nicely and it is easy to add it to a set-up (I personally add it to a set of double and I am sure you can add it to a back-mounted RB as well).
    You have two kinds of Joki. The "mini-Joki" with cells in the canister and the"normal Joki" with cells in the head on the top of the unit. You can also have a Joki with single or a double lungs. In fact, each joki is unique :).
    The Joki is used intensively in some big dives in Europe. Google "xavier Meniscus" and be surprised :)

No need to describe the Flex :) I dive it with the head just below my armpit like if I were diving OC SM. No problem at all.

With both units, you have to play a bit to find the good setting and bit longer to find a hose routing which makes you happy :)

In term of investment, you can have 2 Jokis for the price of one Flex but being patient you can find a second hand Flex at a good price.
    The price reflects also the quality of built but even if the Joki is a bit amateurish it does the job :)

The Sidekick looks good also :) :)

Fake Diver Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack's Avatar
    Meg

KISS

I'd be curious to compare WOB between the flex and SK.

The SK breathes fine when trim is perfect, but out of trim it gets worse fast. I also had issues with the SK as a BOB venting the unused loop, as the exhaust sits low in the front. I'd considered putting a wing pull dump on the ass end counterlung to make venting easier.

The SK has a single counterlung, the flex has 2 lungs.

Jst anothr Breather Diver Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius's Avatar
    rEvo III rms

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Pack  View Original Post
    The SK breathes fine when trim is perfect, but out of trim it gets worse fast.

Well I would say that is system inherent.. Either it breathes great in Trim, then it will get severly mitigated out of trim or it is a "foul"(?) compromise to start with..
    Cant have it all.. its basic physics..

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Pack  View Original Post
    I also had issues with the SK as a BOB venting the unused loop, as the exhaust sits low in the front. I'd considered putting a wing pull dump on the ass end counterlung to make venting easier.
    That's how it works with the SF2 dump valve at the bottom..

Still no answer why people do not even seem to consider the SF2..
    If there is a reason that makes sense I would love to learn about it..
    I am highly interested in a SM breather myself and have the choice to make.. So far SF2 is on top of my list, but maybe I am not aware of a flaw others know about and as such ruling it out?

RBW Member michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch's Avatar
    SF2, IDA76, Flex

AH1

Only way to dump water out of the loop in a SF2 is to get the unit absolutely vertical in the water and then overinflate the loop until the OP Valve at the bottom of the bellows dumps.
    After you get as much water out of the loop as you can, you will still have around a quarter inch of water left in the bellows.
    it's perfectly normal that the sorb gets wet enough to clump up during a dive, at least for the bottom 2-3 inches of it.
    The dump is a great idea, but there has to be a better solution that works well enough that the sorb stays pretty dry.

Michael

rEvo III rms

Quote Originally Posted by michael-fisch  View Original Post
    it's perfectly normal that the sorb gets wet enough to clump up during a dive, at least for the bottom 2-3 inches of it.
    That happens on any dive you say? that definitely is a major issue..
    Is that happening BM also or is BM the dumping process just more effective and hence the sorb stays dry?

RBW Member dspe is an unknown quantity at this point dspe's Avatar

I did not add the sf2 becouse 1 the lungs,bellows are at the bottom under the scrubber that makes breathing bad and if you want to push it infrount of you it gets real bad i have had a frend buy one only to sell it 2 months after and lm not a big fan of carbon fiber .
    It interesting to see that everyone says there BoB breaths bad when badly placed🙄

rEvo III rms

Quote Originally Posted by dspe  View Original Post
    and if you want to push it infrount of you it gets real bad
    It should not really impact WOB pushing it upfront as long as it is horizontal..
    The change in WOB is an effect of positioning of the rebreather (where the starting point on a sidemounted Rebreather always should be horizontal) and then when moved out of balanced position a question of distance to your lungs (static pressure induced)..
    Obvioulsy when pushed upfront you are already further away from your body so slight changes from the horizontal position can fastly have a huge impact..
    But that principle should be the same issue with all sidemounted rebreathers as it is basic physics.. so as long as you are not cave diving on a starship travelling close to speed of light, I suppose you are SOL with that issue..

Quote Originally Posted by dspe  View Original Post
    It interesting to see that everyone says there BoB breaths bad when badly placed🙄

Why is it surprising? It is based on basic physics so it cant be different, the only thing to change that would be to get the lungs closer to your body i.e. out of the breather.. like e.g. with the GEM..
    If your CLs are in the tube this is what has to happen!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast