+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Getting Started... again

RBW Member JVision805 is an unknown quantity at this point JVision805's Avatar

Getting Started... again

Hi all,

Getting ready to make the jump into the rebreather diving world, absorbing as much information as possible while looking at unit options and where I can go with this new training.
    I am a commercial harvest diver working off the coast of central and southern California, mainly out at the Channel Islands.
    I have a background in Commercial Diving working on oil rigs off California, as well as working on live aboard dive boats for many years from deckhand to captain.

Anyway, I hope to gain some useful info from those with more experience and possibly meet some people in the area after I go through course work to dive and gain experience with this amazing diving technology.

Any information specifically on working while diving rebreather units would be great as well.

Thanks for taking the time, I look forward to learning.

RBW Member DeathBoxDiving is an unknown quantity at this point DeathBoxDiving's Avatar
    FrankenTitan

Re: Getting Started... again

Welcome to the boards. Read the opinions members have of their RBs. Consider counter opinions and honestly assess what your RB diving will be.

As for jobs using RBs, I can only think of underwater cinematography but these jobs are usually done with SCRs if the U/W cinematographer is so trained. Otherwise they are done with tethered surface supply OC.

If you are attached to a law enforcement agency or a fire department they typically cross train for RB use to augment their OC capabilities but these are few and far between given budgetary constraints.

Volunteer work for the above mentioned agencies do exist but these pay nothing and only afford you additional experience in the use of whatever RB you choose.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathBoxDiving  View Original Post
    Welcome to the boards. Read the opinions members have of their RBs. Consider counter opinions and honestly assess what your RB diving will be.

As for jobs using RBs, I can only think of underwater cinematography but these jobs are usually done with SCRs if the U/W cinematographer is so trained. Otherwise they are done with tethered surface supply OC.

If you are attached to a law enforcement agency or a fire department they typically cross train for RB use to augment their OC capabilities but these are few and far between given budgetary constraints.

Volunteer work for the above mentioned agencies do exist but these pay nothing and only afford you additional experience in the use of whatever RB you choose.
    Thanks for your response, kinda late responding back on my part. I am more looking for information on doing Manual Labor, commercial diving work while using a rebreather.
    I haven't taken a beginning course yet for rebreather so I am thinking some of my questions will sort out when i get time on a unit in the water. But things like WOB, and "overbreathing scrubber" have me curious about the performance of diving a rebreather while doing physical labor in different levels.

I have been doing lots of reading of manuals, technical dive publications, rebreather diving books etc.
    My local instructor was leading me toward an AP Evo plus... Trying to do as much homework as i can before purchasing 1st unit and taking course.

RBW Member dreamdive has disabled reputation dreamdive's Avatar
    Pathfinder, rEvo, Explorer

Meg, PrismII, Titan, Optima, 7

There are certainly lots of units to choose from. You might want to call Add Helium who teaches, sells, services etc the main units on the market today. They don't have an "agenda" selling you 'their' unit and can give you a better idea about the differences that exist between the different units thus allowing you to make a more educated decision.

You can also check them out on their website: AddHelium.com

C

Chett Lehrer Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L's Avatar
    rEvo FT / Hollis P-2/ rEvo lll

Prism Topaz-1 / rEvo ll

Hi,

Nice to meet you on RBW.

Just wondering, did you know the boat raptor out of channel islands Ca, Ron Rector?

Best regards,
    Chett. L

Thanks dreamdive, I have been speaking with Peter at Add Helium the last few weeks and he has been very helpful and willing to spend time and speak with me. I am going to get things squared away and hopefully take my beginning course out wih you guys in a few months!

We have been talking about the Prism 2 rebreather due to many factors including there close proximity to my location and there customer service, upgradability etc. I am interested to hear about any experiences with these units.

I am continuing reading as much info as I can whenever I have free time. (Which is alot right now due to weather) Before I get to deep into it on here I realize many questions will be answered when I complete the basic course. But that said any info is welcome!

Chett.L
    Nice to meet you as well on the forum, nice to start hearing from some people in the southern california area.

I did meet Ron a few times personally before he passed, he was a good friend of some of my extended family. His boat is pretty much a dream boat of mine. As a matter of fact if it ever became for sale, my boat would go first and I probably would have to put the rebreather on hold unfortunatley. It would be a Must buy!

As my rebreather diving experience begins to catch up with my current OC experience I will be definitely looking for info on getting into some serious diving over here in Southern California. I will be looking for rebreather mentor/ pals with experience as well to continue learning and exploring!

Happy Holidays

Banned CGOUGHN is an unknown quantity at this point CGOUGHN's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2

Poseidon MkVI

Quote Originally Posted by JVision805  View Original Post
    We have been talking about the Prism 2 rebreather due to many factors including there close proximity to my location and there customer service, upgradability etc. I am interested to hear about any experiences with these units.
    +1 on the Prism2. It's a great unit, breathes very well and isn't difficult to travel with. Add Helium knows their business. They'll definitely steer you in the right direction.

Happy Holidays

Cheers - Chris

+ Reply to Thread