90 88.24%
  • Pre-breath Never

5 4.90%
  • Pre-breath somtimes

7 6.86%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: To Pre-Breath or Not???

Cognitive surrender TopLeft is an unknown quantity at this point TopLeft's Avatar
    Evolution+

Evolution

Re: To Pre-Breath or Not???

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Starfish  View Original Post
    Not so much to check for CO2 leaks, more (as Claudia mentioned earlier) to verify that everything else is functioning correctly.

I generally don suit, then unit, jump on the loop and stay on as I sort buckles, computers, fins and all the other paraphernalia. When everything's sorted I've been on the loop for a few minutes, keeping an eye on the HUD to ensure it's holding around the 0.7 and so on.

Ready to roll in then if I'm on the boat.
    This is my routine as well, followed by a minute or so collecting thoughts.

New Member Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell's Avatar

I should have said in my previous post... if anyone would like a copy of the study then please send me a pm with an email address.

Simon M

RBW Member kiwichick is a jewel in the rough kiwichick is a jewel in the rough kiwichick is a jewel in the rough kiwichick is a jewel in the rough kiwichick is a jewel in the rough kiwichick is a jewel in the rough kiwichick is a jewel in the rough kiwichick is a jewel in the rough kiwichick's Avatar
    Inspo

+1 for prebreathe

I don't know the exact numbers of rebreather divers who have died simply by jumping in the water with their units switched off, but we all know it has happened more than once.

"Nobody makes that mistake these days, right?". Wrong. Humans are still human and, not surprisingly, are still making human errors. I saw it happen recently - ie a diver jumped in with his unit switched off and was unconscious and hypoxic in the water at the back of the boat. The diver concerned would absolutely not be alive today if it weren't for the prompt actions of his buddy. And it absolutely would never have happened if he had done a prebreathe - even if only to watch the solenoid maintain the PO2. Yes, there were other steps which, if followed, would also have prevented the holes in the cheese lining up, but I believe omitting a prebreathe was a near-fatal error. The diver concerned is a decent person, is not an idiot (no flames toward him please), nor a 'bad diver'. Just human. A moment's carelessness nearly cost him his life.

My point is, if a prebreathe serves no other purpose except to ensure the unit is switched on and functioning in a dry environment before entering the water (where problems like hypoxia and unconsciousness will have far less forgiving outcomes), surely that alone is a sufficient - and compelling - reason to do a prebreathe?

RBW Member EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD's Avatar
    rEvo III rMS

rEvo is all you need!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Mitchell  View Original Post
    I should have said in my previous post... if anyone would like a copy of the study then please send me a pm with an email address.

Simon M
    Pm send :)

Sent by my rEvo scrubber using a shearwater Nerd

RBW Member dreamdive has disabled reputation dreamdive's Avatar
    Pathfinder, rEvo, Explorer

Meg, PrismII, Titan, Optima, 7

RBW Member EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD's Avatar
    rEvo III rMS

rEvo is all you need!!!!

Thanks !!!

Sent by my rEvo scrubber using a shearwater Nerd

RBW Member shagyluke is on a distinguished road shagyluke is on a distinguished road shagyluke's Avatar
    Meg Copis

Thanks for all the responses. I do not feel that I would ever be okay with not prebreathing. At this point its just burned into the brain from my check lists. I really just wanted to know if the report that came out had influenced anyone in not performing the prebreath and if it had the reasoning behind their thoughts. Out of the 90 peeps it looks like there is 4 peeps that don't ever prebreath and 5 that only do it sometime. I am hoping this thread has changed their minds.

AV

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3