90 88.24%
  • Pre-breath Never

5 4.90%
  • Pre-breath somtimes

7 6.86%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: To Pre-Breath or Not???

RBW Member shagyluke is on a distinguished road shagyluke is on a distinguished road shagyluke's Avatar
    Meg Copis

To Pre-Breath or Not???

So, I have read the studies for the pre-breathing and understand that the five minutes that I am spending probably wont help me find a problem with my scrubber. To be honest its just a habit now to do it and it gives my wife the warm and fuzzies so we extended it to 8-10 minutes. My question is with the recent study out, how many peeps are still pre-breathing their unit before splashing in? I guess I will always.. Happy wife happy life....

Hammermeg, Copis2, Kiss divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe's Avatar
    Meg 2.7, Hammermeg, copis meg

Kiss Sport, Draeger dolphin

Re: To Pre-Breath or Not???

Always but its a misnomer, its a quiet time just before entry to ensure all parts (excluding the scrubber) are working as they should. I do not spend 5 min more like 1 to 2 minutes.
    Gabe

RBW Member Capt Morgan is an unknown quantity at this point Capt Morgan's Avatar
    KISS Classic

I'm not diving a CCR very long in the greater scheme of things,
    3 years out of 25 + years diving but I still prebreathe the unit.
    I also see it as a time to relax after getting fully kitted up and
    it helps get my mind in the zone. It wouldn't be a 5min prebreathe
    as I don't think it does a lot for testing the scrubber but it can test
    many other things.

RBW Member Capt Morgan is an unknown quantity at this point Capt Morgan's Avatar
    KISS Classic

I'm not diving a CCR very long in the greater scheme of things,
    3 years out of 25 + years diving but I still prebreathe the unit.
    I also see it as a time to relax after getting fully kitted up and
    it helps get my mind in the zone. It wouldn't be a 5min prebreathe
    as I don't think it does a lot for testing the scrubber but it can test
    many other things.

RBW Member rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack's Avatar
    Meg

It might not find an issue with the scrubber, but it can find a lot of other possible issues (dead battery, solenoid on or off when it shouldn't be, bad cell not tracking the others, stuck MAV etc).

RBW Member dreamdive has disabled reputation dreamdive's Avatar
    Pathfinder, rEvo, Explorer

Meg, PrismII, Titan, Optima, 7

Just like the study also mentioned, Pre-breathe may not detect scrubber trouble but is still useful to test other parts of the unit. So yes, I still pre-breathe and watch my cells react, activate the solenoid, check for unusual breathing resistance or
    as Tom Mount might say: " Become One With My Unit"

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

If you are active during your pre-breathe like finishing your kit-up and attaching bailout tanks or otherwise moving around you are much more likely to detect scrubber issues than just sitting still. When shore diving I usually pre-breathe while walking toward the water.
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Not so much to check for CO2 leaks, more (as Claudia mentioned earlier) to verify that everything else is functioning correctly.

I generally don suit, then unit, jump on the loop and stay on as I sort buckles, computers, fins and all the other paraphernalia. When everything's sorted I've been on the loop for a few minutes, keeping an eye on the HUD to ensure it's holding around the 0.7 and so on.

Ready to roll in then if I'm on the boat.

RBW Member rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack's Avatar
    Meg

Quote Originally Posted by wedivebc  View Original Post
    If you are active during your pre-breathe like finishing your kit-up and attaching bailout tanks or otherwise moving around you are much more likely to detect scrubber issues than just sitting still. When shore diving I usually pre-breathe while walking toward the water.
    I often do mine as I walk from the truck down the dock to the boat. Although I sometimes nose breath a bit in the process. I figure I'm active on the dive I should actively prebreath.

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by rjack  View Original Post
    I often do mine as I walk from the truck down the dock to the boat. Although I sometimes nose breath a bit in the process. I figure I'm active on the dive I should actively prebreath.
    wearing your mask will stop nosebreathe tendancies
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast