+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 5 min pre-breath at 1.8 PO2 to reduce DCS chance

Owner
    PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis's Avatar
    Revo,Optima, Prism, Meg, Pos 7

Kiss,Evo, Sentinel,Pathfinder,

Red face Re: 5 min pre-breath at 1.8 PO2 to reduce DCS chance

I understand you are asking a question. Too often in this industry there are people making statements that are based more on intuitive knowledge than fact. Your doctor is clearly one of those people. When someone makes a statement, like the doctor you got this information from, your first response should be...can I see the study or studies that define this claim? If he can't produce it, you have your answer. If he can produce the info, you need to have someone that actually knows how to read the study to define if it leads to a reasonable conclusion. Many studies, no matter how official they may seem, have limited quality.

It's good that you are reaching for knowledge, but you might consider bringing it to light when you have something to back it up. If you can't ask the question about a method without bringing the studies that support it, you should consider how relevant it is. Just because a doctor told you something, it's not enough. This industry needs facts, not more myths that no one can prove or substantiate.

RBW Member dreamdive has disabled reputation dreamdive's Avatar
    Pathfinder, rEvo, Explorer

Meg, PrismII, Titan, Optima, 7

Re: 5 min pre-breath at 1.8 PO2 to reduce DCS chance

Nothing else needs to be said.

RBW Member Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1's Avatar
    ybod

cant say iv ever done a the in water pre breath ,

but back be4 we had mixed gas computers and used printed tables , we would breath o2
    in between the first and 2nd dive , so we could do the same dive depth run time and deco from the one table , never got bent . so take what you will from that ,

no guarantee you wont get bent unless you dont go in the water ,

RBW Member markdol2 is an unknown quantity at this point markdol2's Avatar
    hammerhead extreeme

Quote Originally Posted by Gobfish1  View Original Post
    cant say iv ever done a the in water pre breath ,

but back be4 we had mixed gas computers and used printed tables , we would breath o2
    in between the first and 2nd dive , so we could do the same dive depth run time and deco from the one table , never got bent . so take what you will from that ,

no guarantee you wont get bent unless you dont go in the water ,
    Back in the day i bought into this predive o2 stauration and found this to be utter poppycock within the context of efficient decompression or how i felt post dive. there was and is no empirical data to validate this theory,just another young sheep to be led! What use argon,thats another one too.
    Last edited by markdol2; 30th October 2015 at 00:09.

RBW Member markdol2 is an unknown quantity at this point markdol2's Avatar
    hammerhead extreeme

Just wondering what other silly things have you folks been told to do or not do to reduce the chance of DCS. no post dive exertion,hot showers,eating shelfish or other dumb advise .After talking to one doctor he actually was willing to prescribe me a blood modifier! dont be shy.

RBW Member Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1's Avatar
    ybod

Quote Originally Posted by markdol2  View Original Post
    Back in the day i bought into this predive o2 stauration and found this to be utter poppycock within the context of efficient decompression or how i felt post dive. there was and is no empirical data to validate this theory,just another young sheep to be led! What use argon,thats another one too.

i said nothing about pre dive saturation , used o2 between the first dive and are 2nd dive and by doing so could then do the same dive time and depth with the same deco time as are first dive No per breath b4 the first dive , reduce tissue loading for the 2nd dive ,3 to 4 hr later

ps
    and i dislike the you folks bollox, most call me , that smart c7nt
    as for sheep , your on the right forum ,
    Last edited by Gobfish1; 31st October 2015 at 00:41.

RBW Member udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn's Avatar
    prism,larv/tubx,leba54,dolphin

mk15,lar vII, ray

Quote Originally Posted by dreamdive  View Original Post
    There are studies done on de-nitrogenation - this comes from the space/aviation industry and you can find the study on the Add Helium Reference Library. The idea is that you reduce the nitrogen inside micronuclei which are believed to be the "seed" for bubbles. If one gets rid of the "seed" than less bubbles are formed.

I can also tell you that your physician does not have the numbers to proof his statement. There is no evidence that breathing 1.8 for 5 min will reduce your risk of DCS by 75%. Please pass this on to the doc you said this - so he does not lead anymore people astray.

The studies also were done in non-decompression open circuit dives as I recall.

What further complicates this: Even a reduction in bubbles does not reduce your chance of getting bent! New evidence suggests that there is a "cofactor" required to develop symptoms. There are multiple studies underway attempting to identify the/these cofactor/s.

I don't know what your chance of O2 toxicity to reduction of "potential" DCS is with this maneuver. But until we get the ketotic studies back involving human trials, I would be careful.

Claudia Sotis MD
    i would agree 100% i was in testing at dceim 10 years ago and as usual you are right Claudia

Ossi gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi's Avatar
    eCCR Hybrid Homebuild

pSCR RO80 Homebuild, LightMCCR

Nice write up as always.... sorry, I have a question...have You German roods? I find a person in a German fable ...” Max and Moritz” and that person, a teacher to be exact, is pretty equal to You…. And if there are some errors in my post, please don’t correct it…..doesn’t matter I can live with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamdive  View Original Post
    The first study is in our collection. It was based on 30 minutes 30 meter OC dives and measured bubble scores. Nobody developed DCS.
    The second study is meaningless for what you are arguing - it is NOT about DCS reduction but argues for reduction of ROS (are you actually reading AND comprehending studies like this?)
    The last study has the following statement in its concluding section: "Prebreathing NBO and HBO significantly alleviated decompression-induced platelet activation." Which brings me back (or is trying to bring you back) to my original point that bubbles alone are less important than discovering the potential cofactors to DCS. Do you know what they are talking about? Do you understand cause, effect, implications of platelet activation? Do you have a clue what platelet activation and DCS might mean?

Considering your choices of studies you are bringing up, are you seriously arguing in favor of this "dive" physician's advice you supposedly received or ....what? I have suggestion, why don't you let that "dive" physician provide you with the studies that back up his claim to you.
    Attached Images

Owner
    PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis's Avatar
    Revo,Optima, Prism, Meg, Pos 7

Kiss,Evo, Sentinel,Pathfinder,

How very nice for you. Clearly you have gotten used to living with mistakes, much like your parents have. Do you have any four-legged roots? If so, you remind me of one that you are clearly an equal to...just another ass with his mouth open. No need to correct any of your mistakes because you choose to insult people who never even said anything to you...wow, this is clearly you...

Ossi gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi's Avatar
    eCCR Hybrid Homebuild

pSCR RO80 Homebuild, LightMCCR

Quote Originally Posted by PSotis  View Original Post
    How very nice for you. Clearly you have gotten used to living with mistakes, much like your parents have. Do you have any four-legged roots? If so, you remind me of one that you are clearly an equal to...just another ass with his mouth open. No need to correct any of your mistakes because you choose to insult people who never even said anything to you...wow, this is clearly you...

Uuuuuups .....sorry I' m Italian. insulting????
    ... did You see the Cheers Ossi Italy

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2