+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mouthpiece cutting inner lips

RBW Member moose_grunt is an unknown quantity at this point moose_grunt's Avatar

Mouthpiece cutting inner lips

I'm only about 25 hours into rebreather diving, but I've noticed that after every dive day, the inside of my upper lip is always rubbed raw/cut. When I switched from the Inspo DSV to a Hollis BOV, that helped a little (the mouthpiece is a bit softer), but I'm still getting cut all along the inside of my upper lip where it meets the mouthpiece. I noticed today that this is happening right at the lower edge of my mask skirt.

Has anyone else experienced this? Suggestions or solutions? Gag strap? Loop hoses too long?

Thanks,
    Jim

Asia's rEvo Gal :) Jacqueline has a spectacular aura about Jacqueline has a spectacular aura about Jacqueline has a spectacular aura about Jacqueline has a spectacular aura about Jacqueline has a spectacular aura about Jacqueline has a spectacular aura about Jacqueline's Avatar
    rEvo X MFT mCCR

rEvo MFT/rMS, Micro II mCCR,

Re: Mouthpiece cutting inner lips

I've been using the Draeger DSV all these while, and don't have this issue.

Send from P5

RBW Member ChrigelKarrer is an unknown quantity at this point ChrigelKarrer's Avatar
    Poseidon SE7EN

You may give the APEKS Comfobite mouthpiece a try,
    the special shape will help to keep it in your mouth and distribute strain better.
    You should ask your manufacturer if this mouthpiece is certified for your rebreather.

Also, check the position of your bov and orientate it that is comes straight in your mouth,
    without any upward or downward twist pulling it up or down.

Chris

RBW Member Tim1 is an unknown quantity at this point Tim1's Avatar
    JJ CCR, Hammerhead, Flex

Sentinel

The Divex mouthpiece is worth a look. It's standard issue with the JJ CCR and the large aperture and wide bite contributes to the WOB. I find it sits very comfortably between lips and gums without having to bite down at all, even when used with a relatively large Shrimp BOV.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tim1; 19th October 2015 at 06:00.

RBW Member moose_grunt is an unknown quantity at this point moose_grunt's Avatar

Then the consensus is that the mouthpiece itself is the culprit, rather than the loop or the user? Interesting--I expected the opposite.

RBW Member IainC is an unknown quantity at this point IainC's Avatar
    Inspiration Vision

Maybe teaching you to suck eggs but is the zip-tie forthe mouth piece cut off neatly and in a convenient place?

Also have you got the hose weights in a comfortable place and the hose legnths right to balance the weight of the hoses otherwsie you will be fighing to hold the mouthpiece comfortably.

With a BOV, depening on how you route the LP hose there can be an asymmetric weight/pull on the mouthpiece that can be uncomfortable unless you adjust the hose routing.

Any of these could lead to your lips getting rubbed/sore

Iain.

RBW Member shagyluke is on a distinguished road shagyluke is on a distinguished road shagyluke's Avatar
    Meg Copis

I had this problem as well. I cured it by positioning the mouth piece down or up depending on whether I was getting lower or upper inner lip rash. If you are getting your upper lip rashed then I would suggest rolling your mouth piece down a bit and see if that helps. It was a trial and error for me, but finally got it right.

RBW Member H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2 Instructor

Hollis Explorer Inst Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by shagyluke  View Original Post
    I had this problem as well. I cured it by positioning the mouth piece down or up depending on whether I was getting lower or upper inner lip rash. If you are getting your upper lip rashed then I would suggest rolling your mouth piece down a bit and see if that helps. It was a trial and error for me, but finally got it right.

Yep, this is what causes the slight swelling and irritation. If you are using the Hollis BOV, make sure the loop fitting o rings are lubricated well, loosen the metal nuts and don the unit and put the BOV in your mouth. While in the water, relax and take note of how the BOV is positioned. Does it feel like it wants to float up or sag down? Counter this torque by rotating the loop hoses while full assembled. This will remove the up or down pressure of the BOV and therefore reduce the pressure on your lips. It sounds like your assembley has the BOV in a position that forces the BOV up and it is squeezing the upper lip and associated tissue. Also, not unlike a brass instrument musician, you will develop an embouchure. As for the Zip tie, use a sharp blade to trim the tie. Hope this helps-EZ

Thanks all. That gives me some things to try before buying/trying new mouthpieces.

Jim

RBW Member ESSCEE is an unknown quantity at this point ESSCEE's Avatar

I can't guarantee they have one that will fit but try Sea Cure they mold to your mouth and teeth like an old football mouthguard. Very comfortable and secure as well. http://seacuremouthpiece.com/

Hope this helps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast