+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Adapter to use medical tank as a scuba tank

RBW Member ocean20178 is an unknown quantity at this point ocean20178's Avatar

Adapter to use medical tank as a scuba tank

Anyone know of an adapter that can allow a medical oxygen tank to be used as a scuba tank on a rebreather? I have a size D cylinder that I'd like to use.

New Member Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza's Avatar
    Inspo Classic, JJ-CCR

Mk15.5, rEvo, Vision, Kiss,

Re: Adapter to use medical tank as a scuba tank

Sure PIN Index yoke to DIN (f) .... Aus$90.

Ping me and let me know where you want it and I will see if there is a dealership near you.

regards Baz

RBW Member whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot?'s Avatar
    MK15.5, MK25

There are many manufacturers that make this adapter (for transfilling etc) but be careful doing this. The pin valves aren't certified for UW use and as such may be more susceptible to corrosion. If you do decide to go this route be sure and flush the valve with fresh water thoroughly after diving.

The other thing you will want to get is a knob for easy on/off of the valve should you need to do this UW. Or convert the cylinder to a CGA450...

RBW Member mdma946552 is an unknown quantity at this point mdma946552's Avatar
    inspo clasic

sorry for the stupid question but what is a cga450 google did not know

RBW Member caver99 is a jewel in the rough caver99 is a jewel in the rough caver99 is a jewel in the rough caver99 is a jewel in the rough caver99 is a jewel in the rough caver99 is a jewel in the rough caver99 is a jewel in the rough caver99 is a jewel in the rough caver99's Avatar
    eStroke

maybe you mean CGA 540 ...this is a standard O2 connection...you find pics on yahoo.de for example...

RBW Member michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch's Avatar
    SF2, IDA76, Flex

AH1

Quote Originally Posted by caver99  View Original Post
    maybe you mean CGA 540 ...this is a standard O2 connection...you find pics on yahoo.de for example...
    Neither CGA-550 (Methan, Natural Gas)or CGA-540 (?) but CGA-440 (Oxygen).

see: http://www.stoodyind.com/Catalogs/FI...05catpg060.pdf

Michael

RBW Member tbone1004 is an unknown quantity at this point tbone1004's Avatar
    Greenville, South Carolina, United States

or just sell them and buy AL19's/3l's which are the same thing and designed for scuba use. The bigger problem you'll have is getting those medical tanks filled. In this country you can't legally get fills for a medical O2 bottle without an RX, so if you have your own fill station then great, but good luck getting them filled in California

Reads fine print (mostly) Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather's Avatar
    MEGALODON MK15.5

BMR500 IDA71 IDA64 RGUFM AKA60

Save your D cylinder for your "Oops-I-surfaced-bent-and-need-emergency-O2" kit. A run of the mill D bottle will almost certainly have a pin index CGA 870 medical valve. I wouldn't want to bet my life on one underwater due to the way they seal to reg (or reg adapter). The chart shows the major types of CGA gas valves (CGA = Compressed Gas Association). The CGA 450 mentioned above is a *cryogenic* (liquid) valve. Ordinary gaseous oxygen uses a CGA 540.

Now if you DO have a CGA 540, there's a sweet little hack to use one w/ a DIN reg if it's not for life support. (I stress again, I'd *not* do this for my rig's O2 supply.)

It just so happens that CGA 540 and DIN regulators have exactly the same thread pitch, 14 tpi, and are within about 1/100th of an inch the same outside diameter. So...., if you take a bit more than an inch of 1.125" hex brass bar and bore it thru at about a .830" diameter and then thread it at 14 tpi, you get something that looks like the picture. It screws snugly onto the CGA 540 and also accepts a DIN reg. The reg's O ring seals nicely against the face of the CGA 540 and you're in business.

I've converted a couple of sweet little 6 cf medical O2 bottles that I've been using as my dry suit gas bottles for many years. Works great, zero leaks in all that time. BTW- that's the oldest OMS suit gas reg in captivity attached to the bottle .
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Skipbreather; 3rd October 2015 at 02:32.

RBW Member whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot?'s Avatar
    MK15.5, MK25

Quote Originally Posted by mdma946552  View Original Post
    sorry for the stupid question but what is a cga450 google did not know

My typo... should have been typed CGA 540...

Attached is a picture for reference. On the left is the 540 valve (Sherwood with a burst disc) and on the right is the standard pin valve (because the reg has 2 pins that lock it in- the two small holes). Both are used as ABOVE WATER emergency O2 administration along with a few E cylinders I have. I fill these at my hangar off a K cylinder and Haskle booster and also use these when flying above 12,000 MSL; right Ken ;0
    Last edited by whynot?; 2nd October 2015 at 19:02.

RBW Member mdma946552 is an unknown quantity at this point mdma946552's Avatar
    inspo clasic

thanks for that

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast