+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The next NGR. The platform of the future, today!

One Breath From Death testuser is an unknown quantity at this point testuser's Avatar
    Home built

Re: The next NGR. The platform of the future, today!

It's Finished! well at least it's fully assembled and machined. It hasn't been dived yet, because I'm waiting on a fill adapter for the tank, but I was able to empty the lung and trigger the demand valve, and it doesn't leak.

Here's the fully assembled unit:

On a suitable test fixture :

Packed for travel:

Tank and demand valve bracket:

Fully collapsed lung, just after triggering the demand valve:

Inside packing:

Next up is some couch diving, when I get the tank filled with O2. I expect the WOB to be pretty good, but I think I may need to add some weight for the pool. It definitely works though.

As an aside, does anyone know the best way to clean brand new Draeger hoses? The mold release on this ray loop is really foul smelling and dusty. I soaked it in some warm water for a while and it's definitely better, but If there's a trick I'd like to hear it!

Paul Daniels eXile is on a distinguished road eXile is on a distinguished road eXile's Avatar
    Davis Station, Antarctica(Usually Jervis Bay, Australia)
    Ouroboros #107

Classic Inspo, Ray, Homebuild

That's a nice clean looking unit you've made there. Might have to build one myself when I get back from working away early next year :)

Reads fine print (mostly) Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather's Avatar
    MEGALODON MK15.5

BMR500 IDA71 IDA64 RGUFM AKA60

Very nice. Your tank and demand valve bracket shows some serious creativity!

Right now it appears the tank hangs cantilever from the top of the scrubber. If that is the case, an unplanned exterior blow (like getting tumbled by surge or surf) might cause a break across the neck of the bracket, possibly thru the demand valve mounting hole and freeing the valve from its strategic placement. With no mav, that would prevent any O2 addition during a dive. Alternately, if the freed demand valve got wedged in the wrong position, it could cause an uncontrollable free flow.

If you added a second similar bracket that ties the bottom of the tank to the bottom of the scrubber, the entire set up would become much more robust.

One Breath From Death testuser is an unknown quantity at this point testuser's Avatar
    Home built

Quote Originally Posted by Skipbreather  View Original Post
    Very nice. Your tank and demand valve bracket shows some serious creativity!

Right now it appears the tank hangs cantilever from the top of the scrubber. If that is the case, an unplanned exterior blow (like getting tumbled by surge or surf) might cause a break across the neck of the bracket, possibly thru the demand valve mounting hole and freeing the valve from its strategic placement. With no mav, that would prevent any O2 addition during a dive. Alternately, if the freed demand valve got wedged in the wrong position, it could cause an uncontrollable free flow.

If you added a second similar bracket that ties the bottom of the tank to the bottom of the scrubber, the entire set up would become much more robust.
    Yeah, I thought about it, and I even have one designed, but I'm not sure it's necessary or useful. The tank is allowed to slide up and down a few inches, as things move around, and when you open it. The bag is narrower at the bottom, and the tank plus scrubber fits very snugly already. A second lower clip would make it much harder to put the tank in after the scrubber is installed, since the bag is pretty skinny, and it's much easier to thread the scrubber on if the tank is out of the way.

When I get to sea trials, if it's a problem I'll make the other bracket. I'll keep you guys posted.

RBW Member recon is an unknown quantity at this point recon's Avatar
    rEvo III RMS

Nice work! What material are you using to machine your brackets is it delrin?

Home built

Quote Originally Posted by recon  View Original Post
    Nice work! What material are you using to machine your brackets is it delrin?
    everything is PVC. The scrubber is entirely PVC pipe fittings and the bracket is waterjet cut out of 1/4in plate. I know Delrin is the standard RB manufacturer's answer, but the LOI of PVC is much higher.

RBW Member recon is an unknown quantity at this point recon's Avatar
    rEvo III RMS

Quote Originally Posted by testuser  View Original Post
    everything is PVC. The scrubber is entirely PVC pipe fittings and the bracket is waterjet cut out of 1/4in plate. I know Delrin is the standard RB manufacturer's answer, but the LOI of PVC is much higher.
    Nice the waterjet answers the question on how you did the nice machining without melting the PVC keep us posted on the progress.

RBW Member Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko's Avatar
    HH Inspiration / Joki

Dolphin, Megalodon, RGU

Hello;

Any new? Any picture in the water?

Best

Home built

Quote Originally Posted by Mikel-Deko  View Original Post
    Hello;

Any new? Any picture in the water?

Best
    Had a setback: The spindle for the handwheel on the regulator broke before I ever got to fill it. Seth at H2Odyssey was super helpful and sent me the replacement part for free. I got it put back together, but I had a small leak at the neck o-ring. I spent a lot of yesterday O2 cleaning the tank, and as of this morning, it appears to have held pressure all night. If I go down to the LDS today, Maybe I'll get a couch dive in tonight.

Loop hoses still taste super rubbery, even after cleaning and sterilization :/

Stay tuned. Maybe next week I'll see a pool/work out buoyancy!

Home built

okay, So I'm currently 10 minutes in to the first couch dive. I can feel the scrubber getting warm at my back. The backpack has a bit of a weird chapeand so it's digging in to my back a little. I probably will adjust the strap lengthsonce it's in the water. So far i'm not dead! The loop hoses are a little short as well. I think I may try and stretch them out. Just 1 more inch swould do a lot.

Auto add valve could also be more sensitive, I'll make a newer bracket which positions it closer to the pack wall.

So far a qualified success!

-James

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast