+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The next NGR. The platform of the future, today!

One Breath From Death testuser is an unknown quantity at this point testuser's Avatar
    Home built

The next NGR. The platform of the future, today!

So I decided that I need a super simple RB I can poke around the pool and take on easy shore dives. Naturally the NGR platform has a lot of appeal, so I started down that route. Unfortunately the London Bridge Trading Company doesn't make that size bag anymore, they only make the smaller one, and a way-to-big backpack. I ordered it not realizing the mistake, but alas, when it arrived it was apparent that it's just plain too small. You can fit an EAC in the current LBTC bag, but not much else! So the search was on for some other waterproof bag of the right size and a zipped enclosure.

Behold: the Ortleib COR 13. It's half the price of the LBTC bag, 80% of the sexiness, and already has integral straps (good for backmount, less so for chestmount). I ordered one form eBay for 140$ and immediately filled it with air and stuck it in the bathtub. It leaks, but ever so slowly at the seams, so slowly that maybe 1 bubble/10s comes out at a 2psi difference. Not enough to matter to me! If I get concerned I'll just aquaseal them. This bag also has a Tizip zipper instead of the YKK one which is a lot easier to zip and doesn't need to be waxed; a major plus.

So I made a punch on the lathe for Drager P-Ports to connect the loop to, and there's just enough room on the flat spot on the top to fit both.

Now you could use an EAC holder from a dolphin and modify it in NGR style, but they are expensive and relatively rare these days. If you have one lying around go for it. Since I don't, here's what I came up with:

4in PVC threaded pipe nipples from McMaster-Carr!

I chucked up an end cap on the lathe, and threaded it to 38mmx1mm, and now it screws on the back (inside lung) of the P-Port fitting.

The other end of the scrubber I bored out to the ID of the pipe (3.75in) to leave a lip for the screen holder, since this is for a repackable design.

That's where I'm at as of now. The Draeger Ray loop is on order along with matching colored P-Ports. Plans for O2 addition are to use an 0.9L (6cu.ft.) Catalina aluminum cylinder with an H2Odyssey EAS 1st stage (the nitrox version is factory O2 clean) and take the guts of the 2nd stage out, mount them on a tbd bracket and use it as a lung-collapse auto add valve. It's not just Scrubber-In-Lung technology, it's also Tank-In-Lung technology! Stay tuned!

Reads fine print (mostly) Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather's Avatar
    MEGALODON MK15.5

BMR500 IDA71 IDA64 RGUFM AKA60

Re: The next NGR. The platform of the future, today!

This is going to be interesting to watch develop. Have had an LBT gas mask bag waiting to be converted for several years, just no time. Those darn round 'tuits are *really* hard to find!

One Breath From Death testuser is an unknown quantity at this point testuser's Avatar
    Home built

I was originally going to use a Dolphin Loop, so I bought a used one that someone had converted to mCCR with a KISS style valve. after it arrived i did a little digging and it turns out it was this one on therebreathersite.nl. I didn't have enough room for the Dolphin hose connectors on the pack, but they would probably fit a LBTC bag, if you're interested. I rebuilt the dosage device which would make a perfect auto add valve. You could use the loose-pack scrubber can if the bag is big enough. Or if you want an easy O2 setup you could probably just put a cylinder on it and go. The (non-Draeger) valving is a little rusty and suspect though. Let me know if it's something you might want.

I'll definitely post more pics of the build as it comes along. I'm currently trying to buy a 6 cu. in. (0.9L) bottle with regulator from a guy in orange county. Hopefully tomorrow he'll get back to me, and hopefully by the end of the week DHL will deliver the Ray loop and P-ports!

-James

RBW Member michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch's Avatar
    SF2, IDA76, Flex

AH1

0.9L is 54,9 cu. inches instead of 6 cu. inches

Michael

Home built

Quote Originally Posted by michael-fisch  View Original Post
    0.9L is 54,9 cu. inches instead of 6 cu. inches

Michael
    Yes, sorry. 6 cu. ft. tank. US units are not exactly the most straightforward.

RBW Member Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko's Avatar
    HH Inspiration / Joki

Dolphin, Megalodon, RGU

Hello and thanks for showing this to all of us.

Just some questios:

1) The scrubber is going to work in vertical position? In the exale part?
    2) Are you going to install a OPV? in afirmative case, in the botton? for drying the lung?
    3) How are you going to put the Oxigen in the loop?

Thanks you very much.
    Mikel

Home built

Quote Originally Posted by Mikel-Deko  View Original Post
    Hello and thanks for showing this to all of us.

Just some questios:

1) The scrubber is going to work in vertical position? In the exale part?
    2) Are you going to install a OPV? in afirmative case, in the botton? for drying the lung?
    3) How are you going to put the Oxigen in the loop?

Thanks you very much.
    Mikel
    The scrubber is vertically mounted on the back of the P-Port, and it could go on inhale or exhale. I'm planning on putting it on the inhale connector, that way any spit/snot/water that gets through the DSV will drain in to the lung.

As for an OPV, I am currently not planning on one. It would be relatively easy to put one in the bottom, but I find it easy enough to just exhale through the nose if needed. Drying/disinfecting is super easy by merely unzipping the zipper! That's the most genius part of the NGR.

My plan for gas addition is to make a little bracket to hold a small O2 tank with integrated reg and 1st stage and a demand valve next to the scrubber can. You just turn it on and close the zipper. when the lung collapses, it will trigger the valve and add some gas. it should help in keeping it operating at minimum loop volume.

Home built

Also, today I added a big spring to keep the bottom port of the scrubber from being obstructed. Here's a pic.

Stainless steel safetywire hods the spring on, and also the mesh on the support, to make assembly easier.

RBW Member Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko's Avatar
    HH Inspiration / Joki

Dolphin, Megalodon, RGU

OK, i've already the box... what's next?

Home built

Today, the Ray loop and P-ports arrived! Hopefully tomorrow I'll finish the demand valve mounting, and the whole thing will be done! I'll post more progress pics tomorrow regardless.

-James

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast