+ Reply to Thread

Thread: eRay--a new idea for a travel Rec Rebreather

RBW Member caver99 is a jewel in the rough caver99 is a jewel in the rough caver99 is a jewel in the rough caver99 is a jewel in the rough caver99 is a jewel in the rough caver99 is a jewel in the rough caver99 is a jewel in the rough caver99 is a jewel in the rough caver99's Avatar
    eStroke

eRay--a new idea for a travel Rec Rebreather

Hi Guys,

it was time to clean up the garage.
    I found my old black Draeger Ray and thought this old nice rebreather is totally under estimated...so it has to be recovered and refurbished.....

For the first modifications I got another red RAY BCD from a friend (thx to P.) to play with it prior to "destroy" the black one...

The idea was to keep it as original as possible BUT make it a nice emCCR recreational travelable light weight unit.
    So just some facts and the rest I think is seen on the pictures.
    I already dived the unit several times (to max 35m) and I am super happy with breathing wob, trim and handling. A nice rec toy.

-original scrubber (is fine for me by now)
    --controller and CMF valved added to have both possibilites

-DSV changed to a modified (modified flow direction of course) Poseidon DSV/bypass/BV unit
    -Original Bypass unit replaced by a O2 inlet plug, for O2 from solenoid and/or CMF valves
    -the CL OP valve on the back replaced by a p-port..no one needs an OP valves here....and that p-port gives me the possibility also to change injection point to exhale side..if I like to do it..
    --only O2 tank fixed to the rebreather
    -Dil and BCD gas for inflating is coming via QC6 connector/manifold from the stage, which I anyway need...so...no need to put a dil tank to the unit
    --two D-ring were sewed on for the stage(s), and on inhale side, right shoulder, just some straps to fix the reg hoses for the CMF a bit nicer
    --a butt pad was added for better configuration of the stage tanks and also to have a crotch strap of course
    --Controller is of course an AV1
    --the black box aside the scrubber is detachable and just contains a Jaksa solenoid and the wiring, no batteries or so in.
    --the Sensorhouse has three cells and is also connected to that box via Fischer cable. The reason why the cable is so long....in case I have an "E" prob , i can take the box and controller of, can connect the cells to a standard Computer and dive the unit pure mCCR.
    --the orange cable is the controller, also detachable, this is just because it makes it easier for me to switch controllers between units, also I use the same wiring for AV1 and Shearwater controllers, so all is interchangeable on my units..in case I need this...
    --the bungee over the back is at this moment only a temp solution....to hold the cover as the velcro on one side is blocked by the solenoid box....will fix that nicer with sewed on straps when ready of course....

--I think/hope the rest is told by the pictures
    Cheers
    Martin
    Attached Images

RBW Member Mike_Eitel is an unknown quantity at this point Mike_Eitel's Avatar
    MeCCRxWi

MeRAY, MeTravox,MeCCRV"x,Inspi

Re: eRay--a new idea for a travel Rec Rebreather

Nice Martin

What about 2x2l carbons, o2 & dil.

Mike
    Attached Images

RBW Member caver99 is a jewel in the rough caver99 is a jewel in the rough caver99 is a jewel in the rough caver99 is a jewel in the rough caver99 is a jewel in the rough caver99 is a jewel in the rough caver99 is a jewel in the rough caver99 is a jewel in the rough caver99's Avatar
    eStroke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Eitel  View Original Post
    Nice Martin

What about 2x2l carbons, o2 & dil.

Mike
    Hi Mike,
    also very nice.

As I use on all my units DIL always via offboard/stage....no need to put a second tank to the Ray.
    Also the idea is, this unit as an "easy, light weight recreational " rebreather it for maybe max 40-50m
    As an O2 tank I can use any tank the dive center has available and for Dil..any 40 or 80CF tank they provide (air, NOX32..) ...

Martin

Another Dilligaf Diver nicothesailer is a glorious beacon of light nicothesailer is a glorious beacon of light nicothesailer is a glorious beacon of light nicothesailer is a glorious beacon of light nicothesailer is a glorious beacon of light nicothesailer is a glorious beacon of light nicothesailer is a glorious beacon of light nicothesailer is a glorious beacon of light nicothesailer is a glorious beacon of light nicothesailer is a glorious beacon of light nicothesailer is a glorious beacon of light nicothesailer's Avatar

As you said M, an underestimated unit.
    I'll be coming back to you for one of those 'Tecme black boxes' soon (also underestimated) and a separate battery box for use with a Shearwater controller.

I like it being flexible on what cylinders can be used for travel purposes.

The only thing I never liked with lighter units was the amount of lead you need and where to place it!

Keep us updated of further refinements.

Best... P.

Quote Originally Posted by caver99  View Original Post
    Hi Guys,

it was time to clean up the garage.
    I found my old black Draeger Ray and thought this old nice rebreather is totally under estimated...so it has to be recovered and refurbished.....

For the first modifications I got another red RAY BCD from a friend (thx to P.) to play with it prior to "destroy" the black one...

The idea was to keep it as original as possible BUT make it a nice emCCR recreational travelable light weight unit.
    So just some facts and the rest I think is seen on the pictures.
    I already dived the unit several times (to max 35m) and I am super happy with breathing wob, trim and handling. A nice rec toy.

-original scrubber (is fine for me by now)
    --controller and CMF valved added to have both possibilites

-DSV changed to a modified (modified flow direction of course) Poseidon DSV/bypass/BV unit
    -Original Bypass unit replaced by a O2 inlet plug, for O2 from solenoid and/or CMF valves
    -the CL OP valve on the back replaced by a p-port..no one needs an OP valves here....and that p-port gives me the possibility also to change injection point to exhale side..if I like to do it..
    --only O2 tank fixed to the rebreather
    -Dil and BCD gas for inflating is coming via QC6 connector/manifold from the stage, which I anyway need...so...no need to put a dil tank to the unit
    --two D-ring were sewed on for the stage(s), and on inhale side, right shoulder, just some straps to fix the reg hoses for the CMF a bit nicer
    --a butt pad was added for better configuration of the stage tanks and also to have a crotch strap of course
    --Controller is of course an AV1
    --the black box aside the scrubber is detachable and just contains a Jaksa solenoid and the wiring, no batteries or so in.
    --the Sensorhouse has three cells and is also connected to that box via Fischer cable. The reason why the cable is so long....in case I have an "E" prob , i can take the box and controller of, can connect the cells to a standard Computer and dive the unit pure mCCR.
    --the orange cable is the controller, also detachable, this is just because it makes it easier for me to switch controllers between units, also I use the same wiring for AV1 and Shearwater controllers, so all is interchangeable on my units..in case I need this...
    --the bungee over the back is at this moment only a temp solution....to hold the cover as the velcro on one side is blocked by the solenoid box....will fix that nicer with sewed on straps when ready of course....

--I think/hope the rest is told by the pictures
    Cheers
    Martin

RBW Member Mike_Eitel is an unknown quantity at this point Mike_Eitel's Avatar
    MeCCRxWi

MeRAY, MeTravox,MeCCRV"x,Inspi

Hi Martin

I have two of them and we have also a omniswifel stage connection on the dil part.
    2l dil is normaly closed, just for safety, f.x. on a zodiac...

Just connecting o2 and dil, mounting only one 2l, and a small nitrox alu as "stage" ... we are ready in Egypth to dive SCR on a normal base. Anyway better than oc.

Not visible is the internal carbon backplate.
    And yes, naturally we use our AV1 in Fischer version...

Mike

Born Again Diver! Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w's Avatar
    Kiss, JJ

Ray, APOC, rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by nicothesailer  View Original Post

The only thing I never liked with lighter units was the amount of lead you need and where to place it!

Keep us updated of further refinements.

Best... P.
    I was playing with my Ray, and got a head from martin to put in 3 cells. I found that running as CCR took way less lead than when it was running SCR with full counterlungs. I think a couple of KG in the pockets under the lungs was all it needed.

I used a 2 litre ally for O2 and offboard O2 like Martin, then only tiny issue is the head insert makes the scrubber longer, so it doesn't sit quite right. Tiny and lightweight and felt really nice though.

eStroke

Quote Originally Posted by nicothesailer  View Original Post
    As you said M, an underestimated unit.
    'black boxes' (also underestimated)
    Best... P.
    Hi Paul,
    yep "black boxes" are underestimated...next week (when I am ready..hopefully) I will post the actual "black box" project from the garage cleaning......nice I think....
    Have a nice weekend...

M

Another Dilligaf Diver nicothesailer is a glorious beacon of light nicothesailer is a glorious beacon of light nicothesailer is a glorious beacon of light nicothesailer is a glorious beacon of light nicothesailer is a glorious beacon of light nicothesailer is a glorious beacon of light nicothesailer is a glorious beacon of light nicothesailer is a glorious beacon of light nicothesailer is a glorious beacon of light nicothesailer is a glorious beacon of light nicothesailer is a glorious beacon of light nicothesailer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1w  View Original Post
    I was playing with my Ray, and got a head from martin to put in 3 cells. I found that running as CCR took way less lead than when it was running SCR with full counterlungs. I think a couple of KG in the pockets under the lungs was all it needed.

I used a 2 litre ally for O2 and offboard O2 like Martin, then only tiny issue is the head insert makes the scrubber longer, so it doesn't sit quite right. Tiny and lightweight and felt really nice though.
    I don't have experience of the head sensor housing (H0855) but I do have the P-Ported sensor housing (H0080) and this little beaut that fits in the existing Ray head!

image.jpg

Born Again Diver! Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w's Avatar
    Kiss, JJ

Ray, APOC, rEvo

That one really is nice, what cells does it use, K1Ds? How do you find the H0080? It looks pretty big. But means I can just carry twinkle 3 pre packed ray scrubbers, rather than refilling the one with the head

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eStroke

Hi Dave,

that holder was made for PSR 11 39 TME (NOT k1) cells.
    Greets
    M

+ Reply to Thread