+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Inline shut off valves- thoughts please?

Fake Diver Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack's Avatar
    Meg

KISS

Re: Inline shut off valves- thoughts please?

^^ yup!

RBW Member rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack's Avatar
    Meg

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    Simple. If you have an offboard tank you want to plug in that also serves as bailout, it needs a QD for plugging in as well as a second stage for bailing out. If the second stage free flows, you lose the ability to plug in unless you simultaneously feather the valve. In order to preserve the gas in case of a free flowing second stage, it's a simple matter of adding an inline shutoff to the second and an OPV to the first. Then you can isolate the second stage and still plug in the gas to the RB.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.
    So how are you addressing the fact that the IP is probably sky high? Closing off a free flowing reg is a recipe for the hose to go boom. Or potentially redirect the free flow into your dil MAV. Unless you have an OPV on the first stage, in which case you still have a free flow.

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

If it's an IP creep (or leap!) issue, you're absolutely correct. Nothing short of turning the tank off is gonna keep that gas in there.

But most 2nd stage free flows aren't caused by IP creep, they're caused by an issue on the 2nd stage. Bit of grit in there, someone being a bit cheap (not that rebreather divers are ever a bit skimp n scrounge) and re-used the valve poppet last service, not tuned quite right but didn't notice it, whatever.

RBW Member rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack's Avatar
    Meg

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Starfish  View Original Post
    If it's an IP creep (or leap!) issue, you're absolutely correct. Nothing short of turning the tank off is gonna keep that gas in there.

But most 2nd stage free flows aren't caused by IP creep, they're caused by an issue on the 2nd stage. Bit of grit in there, someone being a bit cheap (not that rebreather divers are ever a bit skimp n scrounge) and re-used the valve poppet last service, not tuned quite right but didn't notice it, whatever.
    Not sure where you got the "most aren't IP creep" factoid. Most of my persistent leaks have been 1st stage service procrastination. The momentary ones are usually me banging the 2nd stage around.

Down to no good kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter's Avatar
    JJ, Flex

rEvo III, Optima, GEM

Inline shut off valves- thoughts please?

I agree with Starfish. Most free flows are second stage issues, not IP creep. And if it is IP creep, the OPV might be set high enough to contain it while the cracking pressure of the second wouldn't. Call it a belt and suspenders approach. I prefer to have the shutoff available.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    Just remember that listening to an idiot such as myself may very well get your arse dead.

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Quote Originally Posted by rjack  View Original Post
    Not sure where you got the "most aren't IP creep" factoid. Most of my persistent leaks have been 1st stage service procrastination. The momentary ones are usually me banging the 2nd stage around.
    Anecdotal only. But I've only had a first stage creep once out of many second stage dribbles.

RBW Member markdol2 is an unknown quantity at this point markdol2's Avatar
    hammerhead extreeme

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Starfish  View Original Post
    Anecdotal only. But I've only had a first stage creep once out of many second stage dribbles.
    unless something happens to your regs during a dive,WHY DO YOU DIVE WITH JACKED UP LIFE SUPPORT?

AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Sorry, mr angry pants - did I mention it was MY regs anywhere?

A lot of second stages I've seen dribbling at surface stop dribbling when they get wet. Or when they get wet and you take a couple breaths out of them.

The incident of the empty bailout started with a no-bubbles reg set, it was spot on. During the dive I must have bounced the purge valve on something and not noticed it bubbling away. But before and after that dive it was fine.

So nyer.

Meg

Perhaps I run in the wrong circles but I know exactly zero OC tech divers using shut offs. They all seem to do fine. Unverified gases are pressurized but off. Verified gases that you can breath are on.

Down to no good kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter's Avatar
    JJ, Flex

rEvo III, Optima, GEM

Quote Originally Posted by rjack  View Original Post
    Perhaps I run in the wrong circles but I know exactly zero OC tech divers using shut offs. They all seem to do fine. Unverified gases are pressurized but off. Verified gases that you can breath are on.
    I know exactly zero OC tech divers that use a BOV or an ADV, or use QDs to plug in a gas to their system. So for me, the OC comparison is not valid. But if all you do with your bailouts is have a second stage on them, then I agree the rigging is like an OC stage bottle and there is no need for a shutoff.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    Just remember that listening to an idiot such as myself may very well get your arse dead.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast