+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Inline shut off valves- thoughts please?

RBW Member markdol2 is an unknown quantity at this point markdol2's Avatar
    hammerhead extreeme

Re: Inline shut off valves- thoughts please?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Starfish  View Original Post
    Regularly dive to 40m with a 40cf bailout tin and we plan the dive so that the bailout is enough to surface and deco on. From 30m it works out that max TTS is 10 minutes and so we dive to that. In the case of hyperventilation from a CO2 hit, there's usually three of us. So the person who's not packed their sorb properly is going to be buying a lot of beers that night but they're covered.
    On second thought free beer works for me too!

RBW Member AdamG is an unknown quantity at this point AdamG's Avatar

I don't use them. Rb80 probably has more OC regs going than most ccrs (long hose, bungeed backup, bov, drive bottle). Occasionally the long hose or drive regulator 2nd stage will dribble when scootering. It's always easily corrected by positioning the reg and/or turning the adjustment knob a bit.

In my mind a shutoff is just something between me and gas I might need in a jiffy and doesn't offer anything over better reg positioning and the adjustment knob.

RBW Member rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack's Avatar
    Meg

The reg I'm going to bail to is necklaced under my chin and turned on. All the others (deco gasses or additional bottom gas cylinders) are pressurized but off. I don't use shut offs on bailouts. The necklaced reg has occasionally burped a little but its easy to notice and fix (being under my chin). I also don't do 40m dives on 40cf of gas where tiny burps suddenly become a significant cut into my bailout plan.

Muddiver Muddiver is an unknown quantity at this point Muddiver's Avatar
    Poseidon Cis Lunar 7

Inline shut off valves- thoughts please?

First a little clarification, most first stage regulator have a built in OPV. Only the Poseidon does not because it is at the second stage end of the hose.

I usually dive Kirby Morgan Superflow 350's for my bailouts because they have full manual adjustment via a knob on the second stage. I crank them down and I've never had a leak with the cylinder valve open. I'm in agreement with markdol2 that if you are scootering or what ever, tune your regs for the diving you are doing. A regulator that free flows is either frozen (where's your environment kit for the reg?) or its tuned way to light on the cracking pressure.

I would be leery of those inline shut offs for all the reasons given previously. Mainly if you go to donate and that poor soul your trying to help doesn't know what an inline is. Or you need gas and you don't remember how you encumbered your system. KISS

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Quote Originally Posted by Muddiver  View Original Post
    First a little clarification, most first stage regulator have a built in OPV. Only the Poseidon does not because it is at the second stage end of the hose.
    I'm hoping this is a language thing because, as written, it's completely wrong.

Most first stage regulators do not have an OPV built in because they don't need one seeing as most second stage regulators are downstream valves (ie overpressure forces them open) and act as an OPV unless you bang a shutoff in the line.

Some of the Poseidons use upstream valves which are forced closed even harder by over pressure in the line. They need OPVs somewhere. Certainly the Cyklon first stages have an OPV built into them (mine do, I know for sure).

Muddiver Muddiver is an unknown quantity at this point Muddiver's Avatar
    Poseidon Cis Lunar 7

Ok, maybe I'm wrong on that.

I should have thought through the whole "almost all American second stages are down stream valves". I do have a Poseidon 1st that does have a built in OPV. And I had a tech screw an OPV on the other Poseidon Xtream I have when we Frankensteined the Kerby on it. I guess he was incorrect as well in thinking it needed it.

Thanks for the correction Starfish.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Down to no good kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter's Avatar
    JJ, Flex

rEvo III, Optima, GEM

I have inline shutoffs and OPVs on all bailout regs. I also have high flow QDs on all bailout regs. Every cylinder I carry can be plugged in to my rebreather and/or my BOV. And I want that capability even if the second stage free flows. It's a very simple thing to me. The only problem I had with a shutoff was getting duckweed and other crap wrapped around one that caused me to be sipping gas during a bailout drill from 70m in a cave until I could switch to my next gas. But that was my fault for not clearing it up. Not the configurations problem.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    Just remember that listening to an idiot such as myself may very well get your arse dead.

RBW Member Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1's Avatar
    ybod

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I have inline shutoffs and OPVs on all bailout regs. I also have high flow QDs on all bailout regs. Every cylinder I carry can be plugged in to my rebreather and/or my BOV. And I want that capability even if the second stage free flows. It's a very simple thing to me. The only problem I had with a shutoff was getting duckweed and other crap wrapped around one that caused me to be sipping gas during a bailout drill from 70m in a cave until I could switch to my next gas. But that was my fault for not clearing it up. Not the configurations problem.

i have no shutoff,s and i to can plug and play all day also
    Last edited by Gobfish1; 28th September 2015 at 22:33.

RBW Member rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack's Avatar
    Meg

Quote Originally Posted by Gobfish1  View Original Post
    i have no shutoff,s and i to can plug and play all day also
    Not sure how plugging in offboard is related to inline shutoffs.

But I can plug n play too

Down to no good kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter's Avatar
    JJ, Flex

rEvo III, Optima, GEM

Quote Originally Posted by rjack  View Original Post
    Not sure how plugging in offboard is related to inline shutoffs.
    Simple. If you have an offboard tank you want to plug in that also serves as bailout, it needs a QD for plugging in as well as a second stage for bailing out. If the second stage free flows, you lose the ability to plug in unless you simultaneously feather the valve. In order to preserve the gas in case of a free flowing second stage, it's a simple matter of adding an inline shutoff to the second and an OPV to the first. Then you can isolate the second stage and still plug in the gas to the RB.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    Just remember that listening to an idiot such as myself may very well get your arse dead.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast