+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Inline shut off valves- thoughts please?

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Re: Inline shut off valves- thoughts please?

Quote Originally Posted by damianb  View Original Post
    Empty? Blimey!
    Well, not completely. But 20 bar in a 40cf tin isn't going to do much good at 30m...

RBW Member Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1's Avatar
    ybod

No dont use them . on stuff i may need asap , ie first bail out cylinder . none on the breather main lines ie o2 feed or dill feed , adv yes as it wont kill me off or on ,

regs that i change to like 2nd or 3rd deco cylinder id be ok with putting stops on them , as im in no rush with them

but if iv a reg thats playing up id rather know about it and service it , or de-tune it ,
    not add in more shite ,

i know of one diver we lost off malin 85m dive most of his problems came from having slide valves in the wrong place ,

can kill , and has , so just have a good think where you put them ,
    Last edited by Gobfish1; 25th September 2015 at 16:12.

not RBW staff. EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT's Avatar
    Classic Kiss

Sports kiss, dolphin

I dont use them. My bailouts are pressurised but turned off, periodically during a dive I'll check their pressure gauges, if i see/hear bubbles, they'll all get checked anyway.

When i bail i turn on the gas I want, if i grab the wrong reg I'll get a couple of breaths from it, but it'll be clear its the wrong reg so I can figure out to swap to the right one.

If Im staging gas, I re-pressurise and check the reading as I drop it off.

RBW Member BuceoDeep is an unknown quantity at this point BuceoDeep's Avatar
    looking to buy

Im new to CCR and still thinking through and tweaking configurations.

During a training dive I jumped off a boat and my bailout reg bled out about 400 psi - I didn't even notice. My instructor pointed out his inline shut off after gently cursing me for not noticing my purging reg. So I bought one, installed it on the second stage along with an OPV on the first stage.

I found myself wondering "why now"? On open circuit I had at least one staged deco bottle and never even considered inline shut off mostly out of the notion that it's an additional failure point. On OC I would have the stage charged and the bottle off.

Now I use an inline shut off. I havn't heard mention of BOV connection in relation to BO. My bailout is plumbed in and connected to my BOV via the manifold. So in case of an emergency I just turn my BOV to open circuit and breath. For this reason I'll keep the BO bottle on and the inline shutoff closed to prevent a potential gas escape from second stage. This is the main reason I feel comfortable with the extra bit. In the event of a BOV failure or loop failure then I would go to BO second stage (something I realize I need to practice if only to muscle memorize sliding the inline shutoff to open).

My question is: In a sidemount configuration with a bailout bottle on the left and a deco bottle on the right (probably O2) would it make any sense to have an inline shutoff on the deco bottle? it probably makes more sense just to keep the deco bottle charged assuming i wouldn't immediately need it in an emergency situation?

RBW Member P-A is an unknown quantity at this point P-A's Avatar
    Pelagian DCCCR

Quote Originally Posted by damianb  View Original Post
    I'm listing this topic here as I seem to be locked out on the equipment areas..Weird.

Anyway - I'm new to CCR and wondered what people's opinions were on inline shut off valves for bailout second stage?
    I don't want to be adding extra stuff if it's really not a very sensible idea to do so. So wondered what the majority think on shut off valves? Pros, cons, are they generally regarded as necessary, what percentage of CCR divers use them and why... Or are they a faff and to be disregarded..
    Many thanks
    Why don't you just use the valve? The shut off is only an added risk.

RBW Member damianb is an unknown quantity at this point damianb's Avatar
    JJ CCR

Quote Originally Posted by P-A  View Original Post
    Why don't you just use the valve? The shut off is only an added risk.
    This was my initial thought process. Although I'm very keen to hear and learn what various folk think and this has proven an interesting discussion thread for sure. I would say, more informative and less ego riddled when compared to other dive forums. :)

RBW Member tcascione is a jewel in the rough tcascione is a jewel in the rough tcascione is a jewel in the rough tcascione is a jewel in the rough tcascione is a jewel in the rough tcascione is a jewel in the rough tcascione is a jewel in the rough tcascione's Avatar
    Kiss Spirit Lte

Azimuth, KISS CLASSIC,KISS GEM

I have one as a diluent shutoff so I can insure a non-hypoxic mix in those first/last crucial 15ft/5m while retaining wing inflation.

RBW Member markdol2 is an unknown quantity at this point markdol2's Avatar
    hammerhead extreeme

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Starfish  View Original Post
    Well, not completely. But 20 bar in a 40cf tin isn't going to do much good at 30m...
    A 40cf ? id say blimey too!with all respect.

RBW Member Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1's Avatar
    ybod

Quote Originally Posted by BuceoDeep  View Original Post
    Im new to CCR and still thinking through and tweaking configurations.

During a training dive I jumped off a boat and my bailout reg bled out about 400 psi - I didn't even notice. My instructor pointed out his inline shut off after gently cursing me for not noticing my purging reg. So I bought one, installed it on the second stage along with an OPV on the first stage.

I found myself wondering "why now"? On open circuit I had at least one staged deco bottle and never even considered inline shut off mostly out of the notion that it's an additional failure point. On OC I would have the stage charged and the bottle off.

Now I use an inline shut off. I havn't heard mention of BOV connection in relation to BO. My bailout is plumbed in and connected to my BOV via the manifold. So in case of an emergency I just turn my BOV to open circuit and breath. For this reason I'll keep the BO bottle on and the inline shutoff closed to prevent a potential gas escape from second stage. This is the main reason I feel comfortable with the extra bit. In the event of a BOV failure or loop failure then I would go to BO second stage (something I realize I need to practice if only to muscle memorize sliding the inline shutoff to open).

My question is: In a sidemount configuration with a bailout bottle on the left and a deco bottle on the right (probably O2) would it make any sense to have an inline shutoff on the deco bottle? it probably makes more sense just to keep the deco bottle charged assuming i wouldn't immediately need it in an emergency situation?

i dont have a problem with having a stop on the o2 cylinder , its not a gas your going to need in a rush , and it could be seen as a safety item

double-knock

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Quote Originally Posted by markdol2  View Original Post
    A 40cf ? id say blimey too!with all respect.
    Regularly dive to 40m with a 40cf bailout tin and we plan the dive so that the bailout is enough to surface and deco on. From 30m it works out that max TTS is 10 minutes and so we dive to that. In the case of hyperventilation from a CO2 hit, there's usually three of us. So the person who's not packed their sorb properly is going to be buying a lot of beers that night but they're covered.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast