+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Inline shut off valves- thoughts please?

RBW Member damianb is an unknown quantity at this point damianb's Avatar
    JJ CCR

Re: Inline shut off valves- thoughts please?

This is a very interesting discussion. Actually, exactly what I was hoping to hear. I still don't have a yes or no on my thoughts on shut of valves but my gut is (as a v DIR compliant diver 'open circuit') keep it simple and not add stuff that can lead to additional failure points and added complexity to your equipment.. but I do wonder if that at some point not having a shut off valve on bailout could bite me in the ass.

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Good point, divingabe.

If you're using shutoffs maybe part of your regular drills should include not only popping the valve as you switch to that reg, but also popping the valve when you donate.

Fake Diver Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack's Avatar
    Meg

KISS

Quote Originally Posted by damianb  View Original Post
    This is a very interesting discussion. Actually, exactly what I was hoping to hear. I still don't have a yes or no on my thoughts on shut of valves but my gut is (as a v DIR compliant diver 'open circuit') keep it simple and not add stuff that can lead to additional failure points and added complexity to your equipment.. but I do wonder if that at some point not having a shut off valve on bailout could bite me in the ass.
    If you are a DIR diver, then why even bring this subject up? Its counter DIR principles and you wont change anyways.

RBW Member PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG's Avatar
    Meg

Fenzy PO68 Dolphin

A bit of a disclaimer: I dive a bunch of twenty year old Poseidon regs that have a switch to turn down the sensitivity of the second stage.

While they work just fine, they have there own issues. Puting them aside, I am able to scooter in relative comfort knowing that they are unlikely to dribble.

Last night on a OC dive one of my second stages started to crap out. It took me a few minuets to work out where the racket was coming from, but then I was able to throw the switch and still have a rev I could breathe from.

A feature I have not see. On other regs, but one that has served me well.

Peter

RBW Member markdol2 is an unknown quantity at this point markdol2's Avatar
    hammerhead extreeme

Cool Re: Inline shut off valves- thoughts please?

NO shutoffs on bailouts. Valves open ready for a full breath FROM BEGINNING TO END OF DIVE WITHOUT GAS LOSS. I have been on both sides of the regs in an emergency.you should have your gear together, no dribbles from leaking seats overdue or bad servicing or misadjustments,if you scooter have it adjusted accordingly. I also use posiedons which have their own opv i try to keep failure points down and keep things clean and simple without adding 1 more thing to do under stress. If you are staging in a cave its acceptable to charge a reg then turn the valve off again there should be no gas leaks,but that is not a bailout tank it will be for planned usage.
    Last edited by markdol2; 25th September 2015 at 02:28.

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Having had to clean salt infested first stages after forgetting to turn the bailout on before, and after having a dive where bubble check was fine but I must have knocked the 2nd stage in a wreck, got back to the surface and noticed my bailout tin was empty, I will respectfully disagree. For me, anyway.

JJ CCR

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Pack  View Original Post
    If you are a DIR diver, then why even bring this subject up? Its counter DIR principles and you wont change anyways.
    Totally disagree with you. You don't know me and you have simply made an assumption. I, on the other hand know myself reasonably well and can say whilst on OC I am pretty DIR compliant I am also not a fanatic. I have trained with GUE and dive with GUE divers but mostly IANTD and have adopted pros from various agency and diving philosophies.

JJ CCR

Quote Originally Posted by PeterVICEG  View Original Post
    A bit of a disclaimer: I dive a bunch of twenty year old Poseidon regs that have a switch to turn down the sensitivity of the second stage.

While they work just fine, they have there own issues. Puting them aside, I am able to scooter in relative comfort knowing that they are unlikely to dribble.

Last night on a OC dive one of my second stages started to crap out. It took me a few minuets to work out where the racket was coming from, but then I was able to throw the switch and still have a rev I could breathe from.

A feature I have not see. On other regs, but one that has served me well.

Peter
    Interesting. Thanks Peter

JJ CCR

Quote Originally Posted by markdol2  View Original Post
    NO shutoffs on bailouts. Valves open ready for a full breath FROM BEGINNING TO END OF DIVE WITHOUT GAS LOSS. I have been on both sides of the regs in an emergency.you should have your gear together, no dribbles from leaking seats overdue or bad servicing or misadjustments,if you scooter have it adjusted accordingly. I also use posiedons which have their own opv i try to keep failure points down and keep things clean and simple without adding 1 more thing to do under stress. If you are staging in a cave its acceptable to charge a reg then turn the valve off again there should be no gas leaks,but that is not a bailout tank it will be for planned usage.
    Thanks Mark

JJ CCR

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Starfish  View Original Post
    Having had to clean salt infested first stages after forgetting to turn the bailout on before, and after having a dive where bubble check was fine but I must have knocked the 2nd stage in a wreck, got back to the surface and noticed my bailout tin was empty, I will respectfully disagree. For me, anyway.
    Empty? Blimey!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast