+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Inline shut off valves- thoughts please?

RBW Member damianb is an unknown quantity at this point damianb's Avatar
    JJ CCR

Inline shut off valves- thoughts please?

I'm listing this topic here as I seem to be locked out on the equipment areas..Weird.

Anyway - I'm new to CCR and wondered what people's opinions were on inline shut off valves for bailout second stage?
    I don't want to be adding extra stuff if it's really not a very sensible idea to do so. So wondered what the majority think on shut off valves? Pros, cons, are they generally regarded as necessary, what percentage of CCR divers use them and why... Or are they a faff and to be disregarded..
    Many thanks

RBW Member PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG's Avatar
    Meg

Fenzy PO68 Dolphin

Re: Inline shut off valves- thoughts please?

I don't use them as I want any BO regs ready to use without any confusion. Also flooding regs can lead to problems.

Peter

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

I use them. Not because all the cool kids were doing it but because they solve a specific problem.

1. You pressurise your system without one, get a free-flow on the bailout 2nd stage, don't notice it until you need gas and - oops - you're gonna have a bad time.

2. You forget to turn it on at all, ambient water pressure shoves nice salt water through your 2nd stage, hose, first stage, everything. Next service time, you're gonna have a bad time.

With the isolator valve both of these scenarios are solved. Ideally you pressurise your rig and leave it on with the isolator blocked, that way no free-flows and no water in the system. Comes time to grab it you pop the isolator and breathe. Of course, this requires drills to ensure that the popping of the isolator is automatic for you.

JJ CCR

Thanks guys. I suppose a thought of mine is that surely it's another point of potential failure? You also have to add a OPV on the 1st stage as well right?
    I like the thought of just getting to my reg without any other faff but do see the huge benefit of preserving any gas that may be lost with free flow or whatever. When diving open circuit in a staged cave dive, I found that when I was exiting and returned to my stage, it had been dribbling gas and had lost about 30% of its contents! Yes I should have been more thorough to ensure the valve was firmly closed but hey, this is how we learn and I learned from that. A shut off valve would have solved that issue I suppose but I know prevention is way better than a cure. So I'm kind of in two minds but hear what both you guys say - there are definitely pros and cons to be weighed up.

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Meh, the hose pulling out of the crimp at the end makes a pretty effective OP valve anyway :)

As with every other bloody thing to do with CCR diving "extra equipment" you'll find one person who loves it, one person who hates it, and a whole bunch of people in the middle who could go either way depending on what day you ask 'em.

Yes, they have down sides - as Peter's pointed out.

JJ CCR

Yeah. Sensible thinking!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Starfish  View Original Post
    Meh, the hose pulling out of the crimp at the end makes a pretty effective OP valve anyway :)

As with every other bloody thing to do with CCR diving "extra equipment" you'll find one person who loves it, one person who hates it, and a whole bunch of people in the middle who could go either way depending on what day you ask 'em.

Yes, they have down sides - as Peter's pointed out.

RBW Member tkfx2000 is an unknown quantity at this point tkfx2000's Avatar

I'm just not sure of the thought process....
    So you have one shut off valve,the tank valve, that isn't working out for you because you forget. That happens. But is the the answer is to add a second shut off point?

If that gas supply is critical, the answer is to add another gas supply, not another shut-off.

Fake Diver Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack's Avatar
    Meg

KISS

I put shut offs on mine for scootering, as regs would often dribble gas while scootering

Hammermeg, Copis2, Kiss divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe's Avatar
    Meg 2.7, Hammermeg, copis meg

Kiss Sport, Draeger dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Pack  View Original Post
    I put shut offs on mine for scootering, as regs would often dribble gas while scootering
    There was a near drowning episode where this thinking had a part.
    A ccr diver had shut off valves on his bail cylinders for the same reason you have stated. During a set up dive to place cylinders for an exploration while scootering another diver who was using an scr had a catastrophic failure. The manifold broke and he nearly lost all his gas. One tank emptied and the other almost emptied.
    Not to get into the complete event when the scr diver was about out the ccr diver offered him the bail second stage, which the stressed diver not realizing it was shut off, he tried to take a breath it did not work. By this time nearly out of breath the third member of the team was able to provide a working second stage.
    A few days later reviewing the circumstances we agreed that the use of inline shut offs presented an added lawyer in an emergency situation which needed to be avoided.

Gabe

Fake Diver Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack's Avatar
    Meg

KISS

I'd rather have a shut off, knowing my gas is there, versus grabbing my bailout to find significant gas loss from a dribbling reg.

You can argue pros and cons of each method, but for me, the big factor is making sure I quickly have bailout gas when I need it. I've found it faster to flip an inline shutoff off versus turning on a tank valve

Your mileage may differ

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast