+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Inline valves?

RBW Member BuceoDeep is an unknown quantity at this point BuceoDeep's Avatar
    looking to buy

Inline valves?

I purchased two 3L tanks today, and because I needed the extra set for this coming weekend I did so without doing my research. The whole purchase was rushed to ensure they would be shipped promptly. I also purchased two blue steel inline valves because I was not certain the tanks came with valves - I'm pretty sure they do - and I also liked that they're more streamlined.

After the purchase I read a description on a different site mentioning they were for "any rebreather that requires inline valves".

My classic HH does not require inline valves. Was this a pointless purchase? Will these be useless for me on rig or will they function? I'm relatively ignorant on the purpose of inline valves and am hoping someone can enlighten me.

Thanks

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Re: Inline valves?

Quote Originally Posted by BuceoDeep  View Original Post
    I purchased two 3L tanks today, and because I needed the extra set for this coming weekend I did so without doing my research. The whole purchase was rushed to ensure they would be shipped promptly. I also purchased two blue steel inline valves because I was not certain the tanks came with valves - I'm pretty sure they do - and I also liked that they're more streamlined.

After the purchase I read a description on a different site mentioning they were for "any rebreather that requires inline valves".

My classic HH does not require inline valves. Was this a pointless purchase? Will these be useless for me on rig or will they function? I'm relatively ignorant on the purpose of inline valves and am hoping someone can enlighten me.

Thanks
    I dive with a mix of inline and normal. I guess it depends on your unit's layout, but if the 1st stages sit inboard of the cylinder and the hoses are all routed for that, the inline cylinders mean your knobs will stick straight out to the sides.

With normal tank valves, the regs and knobs aren't inline, they're at 90ē. So if the reg is inboard then one cylinder's knob will point straight backwards and the other will point straight forwards.

If you've enough slop in your hoses you can move things around to make it work but, really, inline valves just make it a whole lot easier. If you've already spent the money, relax: it's money well spent to save you a whole lot of inconvenience and you can always flog the standard valves on eBay etc.

RBW Member jamesjooste is an unknown quantity at this point jamesjooste's Avatar
    rEvo X

Thanks Captain

I always wondered what the īnline" part meant!

RBW Member BuceoDeep is an unknown quantity at this point BuceoDeep's Avatar
    looking to buy

Thanks Captain Starfish,

My concern is that the regs will not sit on the inline valves in a manner that will allow the knobs to point out to make turning valves off/on while diving easy. That is to say: the way way my tanks lay against the canister will not allow for the regs to sit 'in-line' with the valves.

I'm sure it will all come together once I have the valves in hand.

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Quote Originally Posted by BuceoDeep  View Original Post
    Thanks Captain Starfish,

My concern is that the regs will not sit on the inline valves in a manner that will allow the knobs to point out to make turning valves off/on while diving easy. That is to say: the way way my tanks lay against the canister will not allow for the regs to sit 'in-line' with the valves.

I'm sure it will all come together once I have the valves in hand.
    If that's the case then you'll need to work out the "handedness" of the valves you do get so that you don't have one pointing in and one pointing out.

But that's fine, if you're getting normal valves with the cylinders and inlines you'll have plenty to play with and work it out, then flog the ones you don't want.

+ Reply to Thread