+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dry suits wrist - latex or zip seal?

In search of Law breaking Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw's Avatar
    Meggy Meg...

Got the best one from day 1...

Dry suits wrist - latex or zip seal?

Hello guys. I need to repair my dry suit wrist seals. I have the option of zip seals or traditional latex.

Which one do you prefer and why?

Thanks. ( I own a dui suit if it counts)

Spyros

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Richard Huntrods sunnyboy has a spectacular aura about sunnyboy has a spectacular aura about sunnyboy has a spectacular aura about sunnyboy has a spectacular aura about sunnyboy has a spectacular aura about sunnyboy has a spectacular aura about sunnyboy's Avatar
    Prism Topaz

Re: Dry suits wrist - latex or zip seal?

I have 3 DUI suits, zip seals on all of them. My first suit (2003) had regular seals, but when it came time to replace seals & zipper I had them convert it to zips.

I personally love the zip seals because I can swap out a seal in minutes. That comes in handy when your "teaching suit" gets cuts in both feet and you would like to dive dry(er) the next day.

I also love the zips on wrist seals because I use gloves with rings (in my case Skaana) and I found it's just so much easier to install rings on the zip seals. Plus I can swap seals with rings on them from suit to suit if necessary.

Last benefit - if you want to try zip gloves, it's as easy as borrowing a pair. If you want to try silicone neck seal, you just get one and try it. No muss, no fuss.

New Member Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza's Avatar
    Inspo Classic, JJ-CCR

Mk15.5, rEvo, Vision, Kiss,

My advice is do not buy DUI zip seals - a total rip off go Si-Tech silicone seals much cheaper and just as good.

regards Baz

New Member Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza's Avatar
    Inspo Classic, JJ-CCR

Mk15.5, rEvo, Vision, Kiss,

My advice is do not buy DUI zip seals - a total rip off go Si-Tech silicone seals much cheaper and just as good.

regards Baz

RBW Member whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot?'s Avatar
    MK15.5, MK25

Is this the same question you posted on CCR Explorers?

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Running SciTech seals for wrists and neck on my Nova suit and, whilst I don't know about the price comparison, have to agree with Baz in recommending them: fantastic setup, super easy to swap, use local supermarket kitchen gloves if you want or silicone wrist seals otherwise.

They're lovely.

In search of Law breaking Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw's Avatar
    Meggy Meg...

Got the best one from day 1...

Thank you all. Very helpful. To " why not". : yes I asked in a few forums. I needed info quick. You got me;)

RBW Member whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot?'s Avatar
    MK15.5, MK25

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw  View Original Post
    To " why not". : yes I asked in a few forums. I needed info quick. You got me;)

Got it. The Zipseals are over priced for what they are... and are bulky. The neck zipseals are are great (still over priced). Not sure when DUI will learn they aren't the only kid on the block any longer...

RBW Member macado is an unknown quantity at this point macado's Avatar
    rEvo II Mini-Aquaseal Edition

I'm a fan of zip seals if you happen to own a DUI suit. I can't speak for Sitech system but my backup drysuit has traditional glued on seals so if one happens to tear then I am out a dive.

I keep an extra set of zipseals with me and like others, I install a ring system for dry gloves on my zip seals so it's easy to swap out.

The downsides to zipseals is they are expensive but if you work in industry you can get keyman pricing on them.

There is also the option of making your own zip seals Take a busted set of zipseals, glue new latex seals onto them; It's not hard. It can be cheaper than buying brand new zipseals if you are the DIY type

RBW Member johncitizen is an unknown quantity at this point johncitizen's Avatar
    SF2 Sidemount

AP Inspiration Classic

I think you've answered you own question regarding the price of zip seals. You'll always need to have a spare expensive set handy. I've got zip seals at the moment but will go over to a Kubii fitted dry glove glued in eventually. Not sure what I'll do with the neck seal yet.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast