+ Reply to Thread

Thread: best tanks for use with Drager Dolphin

RBW Member haaginheimer is an unknown quantity at this point haaginheimer's Avatar
    KISS GEM (modified)

Dolphin, Prism 2, Poseidon

best tanks for use with Drager Dolphin

Is there a suggested "best" tank for use with the dolphin?

My best guess would be to have a tank for 32/40 (just nitrox) and then one for 50/60. Both with DIN valves and then buying a converter from Martin on Tecme to get to the Drager system

4L steel? HP or LP?

RBW Member cidcolada is an unknown quantity at this point cidcolada's Avatar
    Dolphin

Re: best tanks for use with Drager Dolphin

Haaginheimer,

I am a relatively new Dolphin diver, but here is what I have come up with.

Catalina makes an AL45(~5.9Ltr) that is the same length as the AL27(~4Ltr) that came with my Dolphins. I like these for deeper dives with 32% because it gives you respectable run time without having to change tanks during every surface interval. With a 500psi reserve it will allow 65mins. Problem with these is that they can be a little hard to find.

Faber makes a great little steel tank, the LP-27. It is commonly used on the O2ptima and more recently on the Hollis Explorer. It's has nice buoyancy characteristics being 1.2lbs negative when empty, whereas the Catalina is 1.3lbs positive when empty. Also I know people that have used these tanks with 100% O2, so no need to have different tanks.
    https://www.divegearexpress.com/fabe...te-stale-hydro

I have three Dolphins. One has the first stage converted to din, and the other two I use adapters with. Either way is a nice way to update the Dolphin to a modern standard.

RBW Member haaginheimer is an unknown quantity at this point haaginheimer's Avatar
    KISS GEM (modified)

Are High Pressure tanks allowed for use?

Catalina AL45: W: 6.89 L: 17.7 (Full: -2, Empty +1.2)
    Pressed Steel 65: W: 7.25 L: 16.75 (Full -6.4, Empty -1.5)
    Faber 40: W: 5.5, L: 17.7 (Full: -4.5, Empty: -1.5)

Banned W W Meixner is an unknown quantity at this point W W Meixner's Avatar
    Drager Dolphin

Dear H,

I also use new Catalina S45's...they trim great...fit the standard Dolphin tank strap...as well as considerably increasing your duration.
    They are not hard to get but may be a special order from your Catalina tank supplier...our local Ontario Catalina distributor buys a skid of Catalina tanks per month...so depending on when the last order was placed you may have to wait a month.
    Make sure your tank is ordered with the a DIN combo valve.
    You will need a Drager to DIN adapter to fit the tank to your Dolphin 1st stage...these are available through Martin at TECME and through W S Water-Safety GMBH in Berlin.
    If you're using a Catalina S19 for your bailout...once your S45 is properly positioned your 45 provides a perfect ledge for the 19 to sit on...no fiddling with height positioning to get your bailout positioned properly...just position your 19 through the bailout straps...slide it down till it touches the 45 and secure the straps.
    With a 50/50 jet I have gotten well over 2 hrs on a single dive with the S45 diving at our local quarry.

Best,
    Warren

Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by haaginheimer  View Original Post
    Are High Pressure tanks allowed for use?

Catalina AL45: W: 6.89 L: 17.7 (Full: -2, Empty +1.2)
    Pressed Steel 65: W: 7.25 L: 16.75 (Full -6.4, Empty -1.5)
    Faber 40: W: 5.5, L: 17.7 (Full: -4.5, Empty: -1.5)
    I imagine that any tank that you could fit on it would work. I have even used an AL63 on a few dives because that's all I had access to at the time. I don't recommend the Al63 though, they are quite awkward when hung that low on the back and they are very wide.

In the next few weeks I will be diving the Dolphin on a series of dives mapping a brand new artificial reef here in NE FL. The max depth is in the 70ft range, so I will be using EAN40. The dives will have an average run time of around 40min, so that will give me 2 dives per tank with the AL 45's. (Total available time w/o reserve with these tanks is around 97min.)

Matt

KISS GEM (modified)

Matt:

Thanks! I will go with the 45 for now and possibly down the road "rent" a steel tank to see the difference.

Excited to get out there :)

Dolphin

Glad we could help.

Enjoy your Dolphin, it's great fun to dive. If your ever in NE Florida, hit me up and we will try to do some diving.

Matt.

KISS GEM (modified)

Matt:

I'll be in the Keys over Christmas/New Years getting in some dives if you're in that area. I do get to NE FL way for work so I'll keep that in mind - would welcome a partner to learn and dive with on the road

+ Reply to Thread