+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: SF-2 eCCR: Please share your experience

RBW Member Yamahadrummer is an unknown quantity at this point Yamahadrummer's Avatar

SF-2 eCCR: Please share your experience

Greetings,
    As a soon to be CCR diver I'm reviewing all of the major units, and comparing features and recommendations.
    I recently learned about the SF-2 eCCR and have been unable to find much discussion about it.
    Would anyone who has knowledge of, or experience with, this unit be willing to share your thoughts on it?

Thanks!

Re: SF-2 eCCR: Please share your experience

PM sent.

RBW Member michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch's Avatar
    SF2, IDA76, Flex

AH1

I have one since dec 2014.
    so far I've done 85+ dives with it, like it, and will eventually buy a second one for use as a Bail-Out-reBreather "BOB". I like it, enjoy diving it and find all the free room on my chest great, in the water stages and bailout tanks are carried in the same locations as DIR divers (no relearning necessary). It's a great rebreather for diving caves.

And now for the not so good and plainly bad news:

Dederichs (the owner of the company) promised me that he would ship me 6 tank mounts within 2 weeks at the BOOT show in January. 3 weeks later I was getting answers on the phone that it would be next week. Eventually, after involving my dealer, he was getting the same answers for weeks on end, delivery always promised for next week. I was finally able to get the tank mounts a week after a loud and very unpleasent discussion about the company at a tech show in Switzerland with the company rep. I expect that this loud discussion ended up costing Scuba Force a sale or 2. Total time from order to delivery was 10 weeks.
    Any dealings with Dederichs should be treated with caution, since he will always tell you what you want to hear, instead of the truth. I no longer want to have anything to do with him. I have heard good things about the US importer, which my not last since I have been told that Scuba Force recenty bought property in Florida, in order to set up a US operation. Please correct me if my info is wrong.

The SF2 has a few problems, including leaks between the head and the upper carbon fiber tube (solvable with swiches between summer and winter O-Rings), Leaks in the seam between the upper and lower halfs of the head (also solvable), a DSV that keeps getting harder to switch the more you dive the unit, and the worst WOB of any RB on the market (going vertical results in the counterlung forcing air at a pressure of 18-24" of water into your mouth, exhaling is difficult to say the least) diving down head first means you end up sucking air against the same 18-24" of water pressure, but as long as you can dive keeping your butt 6" lower than your shoulders the RB works beautifully.
    As far as prices go, by the time you have bought a long and heavy backplate, wing, regulators, SPGs and hoses, tanks, an extra tank and regulator for suit gas, Petrel 2 redundant computer and maybe a BOV, it has rapidly become one of the most expensive RBs on the market.

If I was not diving caves, I should have bought something like the Liberty, a better rebreather for about 60% of the totally rigged price.

Michael
    Last edited by michael-fisch; 27th August 2015 at 06:24. Reason: Spelling, and a few additions

Down to no good kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter's Avatar
    JJ, Flex

rEvo III, Optima, GEM

You are not too far from the NY area. Send a message to Tom McCarthy and come down and talk to him. Or with any luck, SF2 will be at BTS in March.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    Just remember that listening to an idiot such as myself may very well get your arse dead.

SF2 will definitely be attending BTS this year.

I dive with and teach on the unit. It has some neat features. And depending on what you are planning to do, may be a great choice for you. Email me doppler@techdivertraining dot org for a run down.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by michael-fisch  View Original Post
    I have one since dec 2014.

As far as prices go, by the time you have bought a long and heavy backplate, wing, regulators, SPGs and hoses, tanks, an extra tank and regulator for suit gas, Petrel 2 redundant computer and maybe a BOV, it has rapidly become one of the most expensive RBs on the market.

If I was not diving caves, I should have bought something like the Liberty, a better rebreather for about 60% of the totally rigged price.

Michael
    Michael,

if this is true you also have to chance your dealer for the not SF-2 Equipment....or your calculator is broken...

by the way... the liberty has also no BOV, extra tank for suits and regulator...

i would say that all the breathers on the market cost more or less the same...

regards

Tim

Hi

so now let´s answer the question...

i am diving the SF-2 since 3 years and never had any issue with the unit....
    it´s running well also whitout an revision

it´s a really simple and easy unit whit not a lot of electric witch can brake...
    but that´s up to you what you need.... i prefer as less as possible stuff which can brake...

if you have any more questions feel free to ask...

regards Tim

RBW Member michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch's Avatar
    SF2, IDA76, Flex

AH1

Let's all rally around the campfire.
    I like my SF2 and am happy that I bought it for the kind of diving that I wanted to do, which was to extend my range in cave dives.
    The fact that it breathes just as bad as any RB2000/RB80 PSCR is not nice. There are a lot of other rebreathers that breath better and don't have the tiny angle with acceptable breathing resistance.
    As far as prices go, the SF2 costs 7000 Euros with the manual adds. By the time you modify a long and heavy Backplate, get wing, cooper hoses, DS4s, SPGs on thin HP hoses, 2 300 bar 3l tanks in addition to a 2L Argon system, OPVs for everything, cutoffs to the manual adds O2 Solenoid and Diluent, get a few extra tank mounts and tanks with L&R valves and a second computer (petrel 2 ext)you are now very close to 11000+ Euros without paying for the training.

The Liberty was selling for 7500 Euros + salestax fully rigged, ready to dive with 2 computer displays, a buddy display 4 O2 sensors, and a Helium analyser, back in March. when I finally had a chance to testdive it. Compared to a SF2, which is still being made by a company that has not ever been able to make 2 of the same thing with interchangeable parts, the Liberty is a thing of beauty and a hell of a lot cheaper.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by michael-fisch  View Original Post
    Let's all rally around the campfire
    As far as prices go, the SF2 costs 7000 Euros with the manual adds. By the time you modify a long and heavy Backplate, get wing, cooper hoses, DS4s, SPGs on thin HP hoses, 2 300 bar 3l tanks in addition to a 2L Argon system, OPVs for everything, cutoffs to the manual adds O2 Solenoid and Diluent, get a few extra tank mounts and tanks with L&R valves and a second computer (petrel 2 ext)you are now very close to 11000+ Euros without paying for the training.

The Liberty was selling for 7500 Euros + salestax fully rigged, ready to dive with 2 computer displays, a buddy display 4 O2 sensors, and a Helium analyser, back in March. when I finally had a chance to testdive it. Compared to a SF2, which is still being made by a company that has not ever been able to make 2 of the same thing with interchangeable parts, the Liberty is a thing of beauty and a hell of a lot cheaper.

Michael
    Sorry Dude,

I also love my SF2 but i can't follow you with your calculation....

SF-2 incl Manual adds 7000€ Inkl. Tax
    Backplate and Wing 500€
    Cooper hoses? The Liberty hasn't got them.... So No need
    2x DS4 200€
    SPGs and all hoses you Need Are included in the SF2 price...
    2x 3L 300bar 300€
    The Liberty also hasn't got an Argon tank, so no need...
    Some cut offs 100€
    Some connectors 200€
    Additional Tanks and Tank mounts Are also not included in The Liberty Price.... So No Need...
    Second Petrel 1100€
    makes an over all of 9400€ including German Tax... The Liberty is 7500€ plus Tax you sad what is in Germany 19% what makes 8925€

So they Are not far way from each other....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast