+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: AP's new Handset is released

RBW Member germie is an unknown quantity at this point germie's Avatar
    Inspiration Vision/Sidekick

Re: AP's new Handset is released

Quote Originally Posted by com1  View Original Post
    Thx, than I may consider the upgrade with my next push button failure too. (Except with this stupid buttons I am 100% happy with the display)
    Exactly, but it was a pity that my unit was at ap 2.5 weeks before launching this for fixing 2 buttons. But now I hope I can dive a long long time without problems. And then maybe I will do the upgrade. I like the colors, but it is not worth the money to do it directly. I am not rich enough too. But this is the first upgrade I will think about. The hus is not needed in my eyes, CO2 sensor not needed, rechargable batteries not needed. Colors on the handset are a value in my eyes.
    But if they launch a bigger scrubber, then I think I will buy that. ;)
    Last edited by germie; 25th August 2015 at 06:57.

RBW Member matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram's Avatar
    inspiration

Quote Originally Posted by turtle dude  View Original Post
    Yes, why not? Surely they could fit/re-jig the old handset's into the old (or even the new) vision handset's and just have two of them ! To be fair it would probably fit the newer handset better because it looks like its gone back to the hall effect sensors. One could be wrist mounted while the other could be clipped off (like both ways of fixing the current vision).
    Why should it just be the vision units that gets all the upgrades!!!!!!!! They still offer the classic as an option don't they???
    Baz
    Classic production stopped several years ago, so I doubt very much they will ever upgrade it as it is obsolete. Service is still available though.

The electronics layout is different in the Vision. In the Classic you have the controller in each handset and no decompression computer. In the Vision the handset contains the decompression computer and the user-control-interface, but no controllers. The controllers are potted in the lid. The HUS is connected to the handset interface (making a secondary handset display, with no user-controls) and the HUD is connected to the controller interfaces (in this respect they are independent of the handset).

So just fitting the handset wouldn't work as you would be without a controller. Would require a complete redesign of the Classic electronics - which is already done and is call the Vision.

Matt.

RBW Member turtle dude is an unknown quantity at this point turtle dude's Avatar
    Inspo classic hacked about

Yer I know all that, (except that they stopped production on the classic) but for years people have complained about the handsets, not to mention the unlucky people that suffered cracked handsets too. What I asked about is putting the guts of my handsets in somethink like the vision housing, but all I ever get told is what you rightly stated about the differences between the two, I've never asked about grafting the vision and all its extras to my classic just stripping out the guts and putting in a housing similar to the vision (especially the new one now they have gone away from piezoelectric buttons)
    Regards
    Baz

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

I thought I saw (here, FB or CCRx, dunno which) recently a photo of a classic with a frankenhandset - looked like classic handset guts in a custom enclosure rather than one of those milled wrap-around handset covers that were doing the rounds a while ago.

So if you can find an enclosure that fits, unsolder the cable, transplant the electronics and LCD and somehow get the switches working again it should be fine for the cracking.

What it won't be fine against is condensation from the ultrahumid loop air being forced down the cable where it cools condenses, then runs into the handset electronics. The one disadvantage of running ambient pressure all the way to the electronics enclosure.

I reckon you'd be better off keeping the paddle, filling it with silicone to resist the pressure and just replacing the hose and cable between with a decent water proof cable like everyone else uses.

RBW Member turtle dude is an unknown quantity at this point turtle dude's Avatar
    Inspo classic hacked about

Hi captain, good to hear from you again. I've started designing a new delrin housing (well restarted an old project - think I still have pic's in one of my albums). Your superior knowledge might be able to help me out (again), I'm looking at replacing the micro switch with a reed switch so there are no holes in the housing. I've already desolded the handset and tested with a reed switch (the type found in industry mounted on cylinders etc) which seems to work, was just a bit concerned with the 200mA current flow (unit was in low o2 alarm with buzzer screaming it's tits off and sol trying to frie - without and pressure on it) the reed I used was rated at 50mA Max! So perhaps I'll look in the stores for a higher rated one?
    I was also considering clear silicon potting the whole handset and using glannds.

Oops sorry to op taken the new handset's back 10yrs,

Regards
    Baz

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Or you could use the reed switch to drive an IGBT or MOSFET transistor to power the unit, just got to pick the right one.

Rebirthing classic handsets, I'm sure there's an appropriate emoticon for that on here somewhere...

Ahhh yes.

;)

Cognitive surrender TopLeft is an unknown quantity at this point TopLeft's Avatar
    Evolution+

Evolution

I was also hoping for a solution to the length/rigidity on the cable. But I'll be getting the new 2020 installed during next service. Has enough features and benefits for me to justify.

RBW Member matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram's Avatar
    inspiration

Quote Originally Posted by TopLeft  View Original Post
    I was also hoping for a solution to the length/rigidity on the cable. But I'll be getting the new 2020 installed during next service. Has enough features and benefits for me to justify.
    The cable is thinner and more flexible...

RBW Member kaheksa is an unknown quantity at this point kaheksa's Avatar
    APD XPD

I hope it is longer also so you can wrap it around the arm

inspiration

Quote Originally Posted by kaheksa  View Original Post
    I hope it is longer also so you can wrap it around the arm
    Put the spare inside the case, like with the HUD?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast