+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Drager Dolphin training in Orange County/technical question

RBW Member ocean20178 is an unknown quantity at this point ocean20178's Avatar

Drager Dolphin training in Orange County/technical question

Hi,
    I'm considering buying a used dolphin. Does anyone know of an instructor in the Southern California area? Also, when using a 40% oxygen tank in less than 20 ft of water would the oxygen composition in the breathing loop stay above 30% ? Would the flow rate into the breathing loop have to be really high to maintain that oxygen composition? I'd really appreciate any advice!
    Thanks!

Steve Sprague 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster's Avatar
    rEvo

Dolphin

Re: Drager Dolphin training in Orange County/technical question

I don't know about an instructor in your area, a search here may yield an instructor close to you.

It is actually your metabolic O2 consumtion rate and the mix/orifice combination that controls the percentage of O2 in a semi-closed rebreather, not the depth.

Assuming you are using 40% on a 40% orifice you would be have to working pretty hard to get below 30% in the loop. If the whole dive were to be 50 feet or less Drager recommended that the 60% orifice be used. Your nitrogen loading would be the least and you would get the most benefit of using a semi-closed rebreather. The 40% orifice is intended for dives to about 100ft.

Just like in oc nitrox diving, the deeper you go the lower the O2 content in the nitrox mixture. Drager set the system up so that as long as you matched the gas to the orifice you will have a nitrox benefit and the loop won't go hypoxic even under relatively heavy work loads.
    Last edited by 4ster; 20th August 2015 at 04:13.

One Breath From Death testuser is an unknown quantity at this point testuser's Avatar
    Home built

Try Jeff Bozanic he's in the Huntington beach area. He's an instructor for a great many models, and wrote "Mastering Rebreathers" which is a super good reference.

https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.bozanic

-James

RBW Member whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot?'s Avatar
    MK15.5, MK25

Quote Originally Posted by testuser  View Original Post
    Try Jeff Bozanic he's in the Huntington beach area. He's an instructor for a great many models, and wrote "Mastering Rebreathers" which is a super good reference.

https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.bozanic

-James
    He did my initial training and knows his stuff. One thing I'll say though is he isn't the most cost efficient (notice I didn't say cheapest) and you had better come prepared as he will whip through the bookwork and whip-slap your ass if you aren't prepared (he does very complex calculations in his head so don't try and fool with him) . You'll spend a good amount of time in the water and finish up in Catalina most likely.

Just know in my class, we started with 3 people (one was a real zero and I was VERY surprised to learn that he had passed the course- he knew the bookwork solid but was a complete douchebag in the water) I was the only one that finished the course on-time. He also just received the Conny award so you know he knows his stuff:

http://californiadiver.com/jeff-boza...imbaugh-award/

+ Reply to Thread